EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Appreciate your replies man!

7950 is @ 200W

7870 Ghz ed @ 180W

But to my concern load power consumption results for an R9 270X is at 280 Watts as per anandtech tests to (it was Crysis 3)

That's why I could not decide but few minutes back found a very nice deal of a Radeon 7950 @ 115 bucks at the bay.

BSODs and glitches will be there when GPU is going to need more watt power than 220W right?

I don't want to use an ATX thats why LOL

But I am sure I will build a PC by Q1 2015, be it in SFF or mini ITX style.

And will definitely use this boy 7950 on it if it manages to survive.

budget constraints.....

I got a lenovo G500 i5-3230M+HD 8570M

I am not even sure if the mPCI-e port on this is on its whitelist, perhaps Nando4 setup 1.30 can eliminate that I am right?

The 280W at the anandtech test is for the whole system, not only the GPU. In general the TDP is what the GPU will consume at maximum.

The 280W at the anandtech test is for the whole system, not only the GPU. In general the TDP is what the GPU will consume at maximum.

Hmm isn't it for the GPU alone? (dumb question) AnandTech Portal | AMD Radeon HD 7950 Review Feat. Sapphire & XFX: Sewing Up The High-End Market

Aah yes it says there "Total System Power Consumption In Watts" LOL yes what a relief!!!

Well I sure did score a 7950 @ $115 bucks, crossing my fingers as to what the condition of the GPU is.

Did not purchase the EXP GDC V6 yet...

Hi, considering the EXP GDC v6 and GPU with additional power supply needs. Is there any reason why you should buy the special 6pin->6+8 pin cable and feed the GPU additional power pins from the EXP GDC when you use full PC grade PSU that can feed the GPU separately?

Hi, considering the EXP GDC v6 and GPU with additional power supply needs. Is there any reason why you should buy the special 6pin->6+8 pin cable and feed the GPU additional power pins from the EXP GDC when you use full PC grade PSU that can feed the GPU separately?

Maybe compatibility issues? It really depends on what type of gpu you are using if it requires more power or not

I can't see how that should be related to the GPU since it gets its power anyway (either from the EXP GDC or the PSU directly)... My question was more about whether it is or isn't a problem for the EXP GDC to not to use it's dedicated 'output' power plug and supply the GPU from PSU directly (the EXP GDC would still get its power (input)).

Just placed my order on Yoybuy.com couple of minutes back and crossing my fingers for a good condition working one..

anyone ordered that acrylic enclosure they are selling in yoybuy/alibaba/taobao?

found one russian ad/review last night on youtube and they are selling the EXP GDC V6.0 with their own version of enclosure and GPU, heck they even have a thunderbolt demo..

and a guy who had an english and dutch ad/review

found one russian ad/review last night on youtube and they are selling the EXP GDC V6.0 with their own version of enclosure and GPU, heck they even have a thunderbolt demo..

and a guy who had an english and dutch ad/review

Wow. Banggood are selling it now with the 220W AC adapter for US$77-delivered. That's cheaper than anywhere else. Banggood have a great track record in delivering LED torches. EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$77.00

The Russian dude is a rippoff-merchant BIZON, charging US$610 for US$252 worth of parts. A tidy US$358 profit from unsuspecting buyers!! I've made comments about him already at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-344.html#post102526

Wow. Banggood are selling it now with the 220W AC adapter for US$77-delivered. That's cheaper than anywhere else. Banggood have a great track record in delivering LED torches. EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$77.00

The Russian dude is a rippoff-merchant BIZON, charging US$610 for US$274 worth of parts. I've made comments about him already at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-344.html#post102526

funny how the name bang good came about to fruition LOL

but shipping options are not so flexible but price is good though...

yeah the second guy is a rip off, good luck to his plans and sales though

Anyone ordered that enclosure sold by cloud hero?

I was interested at it though, was just worried over GPU size incompatibilities though..

By the end of this month I can probably setup and review this EXP GDC V6

Crossed fingers

The Russian dude is a rippoff-merchant BIZON, charging US$610 for US$274 worth of parts. I've made comments about him already at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-344.html#post102526

Is the 220W AC-adapter confirmed?

The picture looks like a generic ~100W 5.5/2.5mm adapter to me.

EDIT: I'm in a live chat with the store a the moment to check, I'll update here later

Just when I checked my order status I received this e-mail;

Well I told her yes I am proceeding with my order, I hope I'll get a good one

Why is this so? The product is mainly from Taobao or Alibaba?

Angelia 18-08-2014 17:05:28<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; width: 436px; display: inline-block; color: rgb(47, 47, 47); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><dd style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; min-width: 50px; max-width: 310px; border: 1px solid rgb(191, 209, 223); float: left; position: relative; line-height: 16px; background: rgb(243, 248, 252);">for this kind of item, we can only check the appearance for you , for function, we can not check, do you still want to buy ?

</dd></dl>

Is the 220W AC-adapter confirmed?

The picture looks like a generic ~100W 5.5/2.5mm adapter to me.

EDIT: I'm in a live chat with the store a the moment to check, I'll update here later

The top picture looks like some mistaken PSU. But where it counts is where they state near the bottom of the page at EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$77.00

Package include:

1x EXP GDC A motherboard

1x Mini PCI-E cable or Expresscard data lines

1x 220W dedicated power

1x 6 pin Graphics power cable

1x AC power cord

In addition,

states at 00:45 that the kit was supplied courtesy of banggood. He shows the Dell DA-2 220W AC adapter in the video.

At US$77-shipped with 220W AC adapter, EXP GDC V6 is unbeatable value-for-money. PE4C 2.x at US$113-delivered, also with a 220W AC adapter, is too pricey in comparison.

I've updated the first post with the new banggood buying link as well as the EXP GDC video review.

• Thumbs Up 1

The top picture looks like some mistaken PSU. But where it counts is where they state near the bottom of the page at EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$77.00

In addition,

states at 00:45 that the kit was supplied courtesy of banggood. He got the Dell DA-2 220W AC adapter.

At US$77-shipped with 220W AC adapter, EXP GDC V6 is unbeatable value-for-money. PE4C 2.x at US$113-delivered, also with a 220W AC adapter, is too pricey in comparison.

I've updated the first post with the new banggood buying link as well as the EXP GDC video review.

Damn, this is great news, that price is perfect! I mean the PSU alone is pretty expensive due to its weight.

Good find!

Damn, this is great news, that price is perfect! I mean the PSU alone is pretty expensive due to its weight.

Good find!

Yeah.. only bad thing is the banggood link is for the mPCIe product. There is NO expresscard version listing. They're targetting mPCIe because the majority of notebooks will have an accessible mPCIe slot. There is very few remaining expresscard slot equipped notebooks: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511

So your original yoybuy US$99-shipped link is still relevant if a user wants an expresscard product. Though then can also choose a US$113 PE4C V2.x.

Yeah.. only bad thing is the banggood link is for the mPCIe product. There is NO expresscard version listing. They're targetting mPCIe because the majority of notebooks will have an accessible mPCIe slot. There is very few remaining expresscard slot equipped notebooks: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511

So your original yoybuy US$99-shipped link is still relevant if a user wants an expresscard product. Though then can also choose a US$113 PE4C V2.x.

Well it seems like Cloud has abandoned Aliexpress for now, his store doesn't seem to exist anymore, weird?!

I just found that my Radeon 7950 is has a 6+8 pin port (strange, this must me a 7970 PCB) so I am needing a 6 pin to dual 6 pin + 2 pcie cable, problem is both links in OP for US and EU are out of stock, can anyone give me a link to anywhere I can purchase this? Most preferably in yoybuy? Will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jacob!

How about this one?

$_57.JPG

PCI E 6 Pin to 2X 6 2 Pin 6 Pin 8 Pin Power Splitter Cable PCIe PCI Express | eBay

Is this the same item? I can get it in a better price.

Wrong ends on that second one, commonly found on ebay. There you have 2xmale and 1xfemale ends. Cloud Hero's original link has the three male ends. Those three male ended plugs are hard to find. jacobsson managed to find a couple he's linked on the first page. I'd suggest grab that aliexpress US$2 Cloud Hero item. It's designed to do the job. Only issue will be the wait time for it to arrive from China.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wrong ends on that second one, commonly found on ebay. There you have 2xmale and 1xfemale ends. Cloud Hero's original link has the three male ends. Those three male ended plugs are hard to find. jacobsson managed to find a couple he's linked on the first page. I'd suggest grab that aliexpress US$2 Cloud Hero item. It's designed to do the job. Only issue will be the wait time for it to arrive from China.

Yes I figured it has a different end, also the shipping times from China worries me too, can I order it via Yoybuy.com? Can they purchase that for me like they do items from taobao?

Yes I figured it has a different end, also the shipping times from China worries me too, can I order it via Yoybuy.com? Can they purchase that for me like they do items from taobao?

Taobao is also China so it would take approx the same time as aliexpress I'm afraid :(

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG I did a little research about the 7950 I have received and why it had a combo of 6 an 8 pin connectors on it and I found this;

"The Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 has one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe power connector located along the top of the PCB that need to be hooked up. SAPPHIRE says that the Radeon HD 7970 OC requires a 500W or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCIe connector and one 150W 8-pin PCIe connector for proper operation.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/sapphire-radeon-hd-7970-oc-3gb-video-card-review_1962#JIMRbwSkJDLuHlu8.99"

Source: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB Video Card Review - Legit ReviewsSAPPHIRE HD 7970 OC 3GB

Which meant that this card of mine is the OC version which is having a TDP of 225 W (6 pin -75W + 8 pin -150W = 225 W) and 5W more than the power rating of the Dell DA-2 which means that I need an ATX power supply correct?? If yes then i'mma have to break the bank again damn, so confusing since 7950 is rated at 200W and some manufacturers never specified variants of this old R9 280 card..

jeez can anyone clarify this doubt that I have? I don't want to order stuff that is not necessary for this setup, I am building a gaming mini ITX PC soon so this card is having dual purposes anyways so no biggie.

@jcagara08

I don't think you need to worry!

To be honest most cards seem to perform on lower TDP during eGPU setups for different reasons.

I have also seen claims for the DA-2 output 240W, so it might have 20W buffer.

The worst that can happen is that the DA-2 gets overloaded and the voltage will drop and cause unstable system performance/BSOD.

• Thumbs Up 1

@jcagara08

I don't think you need to worry!

To be honest most cards seem to perform on lower TDP during eGPU setups for different reasons.

I have also seen claims for the DA-2 output 240W, so it might have 20W buffer.

The worst that can happen is that the DA-2 gets overloaded and the voltage will drop and cause unstable system performance/BSOD.

I tried the Dell DA-2 with a heavily overclocked GTX770. It worked fine while not under load, then would switch off if under high GPU load. So there's your indicator if you've pushed the DA-2 too far.

From that experiment and as seen by that Russian ripoff dude BIZON's bundling of a GTX770 with a EXP GDC V6 + Dell DA-2, I believe a a stock or maybe even mildly overlocked GTX770 would be OK with a DA-2. It's rated at 229W TDP, 9W more than the official 220W DA-2 rating.

• Thumbs Up 1