EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Guys before I will move on with this platform to a mini ITX setup just one more thing I want to ask as to how will i use I full ATX PSU with an EXP GDC V6? I did purchase that atx to 8 pin power adapter from yoybuy.

I was frustrated last night I did not even get to play with BF4 multi player hell even the campaign because the I kept experiencing low voltage drop in my setup for like 5 times and I said I give up, 2 more steps to go and I am moving to a desktop setup.

So please tell me how to use a full ATX PSU with an EXP GDC V6 egpu? My dell DA-2 is now probably faulty because the voltage drops happen very often even after just a few minutes of starting the whole system up and casual browsing on Google Chrome.

Guys before I will move on with this platform to a mini ITX setup just one more thing I want to ask as to how will i use I full ATX PSU with an EXP GDC V6? I did purchase that atx to 8 pin power adapter from yoybuy.

I was frustrated last night I did not even get to play with BF4 multi player hell even the campaign because the I kept experiencing low voltage drop in my setup for like 5 times and I said I give up, 2 more steps to go and I am moving to a desktop setup.

So please tell me how to use a full ATX PSU with an EXP GDC V6 egpu? My dell DA-2 is now probably faulty because the voltage drops happen very often even after just a few minutes of starting the whole system up and casual browsing on Google Chrome.

To drive the EXP GDC V6 with an ATX PSU you use the EXP GDC specific ATX cable. It sits between the EXP GDC and ATX PSU as shown below:

T2ujxXXw4XXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

You can see it has:

- ATX PSU CPU input for power

- ATX PSU 20/24 pin connector to provide signal to power on PSU. EXP GDC will connect up the two wires (PS_ON#, GND) to power on the ATX PSU. Similar to BPlus' SWEX but here controlled by the EXP GDC.

- 8pin connector attached to the EXP GDC for input power and signal to ATX PSU to power it on

To drive the EXP GDC V6 with an ATX PSU you use the EXP GDC specific ATX cable. It sits between the EXP GDC and ATX PSU as shown below:

T2ujxXXw4XXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

You can see it has:

- ATX PSU CPU input for power

- ATX PSU 20/24 pin connector to provide signal to power on PSU. EXP GDC will connect up the two wires (PS_ON#, GND) to power on the ATX PSU. Similar to BPlus' SWEX but here controlled by the EXP GDC.

- 8pin connector attached to the EXP GDC for input power and signal to ATX PSU to power it on

@Tech Inferno Fan

Thank you very much for this reply! I my setup will continue to be housed temporarily with the acrylic enclosure (will be arriving soon!) and later onwards on the Cooler Master Elite 130 mini ITX. Your contribution to this community really is so priceless that major tech companies should know your name and hand you over the royalty fees.

• Thumbs Up 1

@jacobsson: It is ok. I talked to hero cloud (good service, quick response) on aliexpress. The "Beast" looks very good and similar to v6, but he couldn't guarantee that it will fit in the v6 enclosure. But he said, he had some small amount v6 left in stock and I should leave a message for checkout for this. Netherland Direct Mail also availible again. I hope it will work.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Kaas93 Yeah that should work! Make sure to use resistors since 5V is a bit too much for the leds.

Edit: my phone didn't open your link but I guess the led strip run off of 5v?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, it's a led strip with a usb connection, it's designed to run off usb power, I'm just unsure whether perhaps the usb port on the EXP GDC v6 may provide too little power. I mean, it's really just a few leds but I'm not sure..

HI there ! I'm newcommer, and I bought the EXP GDC V7 ! but saldy, I've forget to take the optionnal (grrrrr) ATX cable it will take some time to receive... but i'have an AC (before use with a network router) can I use it for test ?

The spec of the AC :

INPUT : 230V ~50Hz 140ma

OUPUT : 12 V - 1A

And the CG it's a MSI gtx970

Thx (and sorry for bad english... I'm french :o)

HI there ! I'm newcommer, and I bought the EXP GDC V7 ! but saldy, I've forget to take the optionnal (grrrrr) ATX cable it will take some time to receive... but i'have an AC (before use with a network router) can I use it for test ?

The spec of the AC :

INPUT : 230V ~50Hz 140ma

OUPUT : 12 V - 1A

And the CG it's a MSI gtx970

Thx (and sorry for bad english... I'm french :o)

Another really important specification of the psu is the wattage.. If it was used for a network router, it probably isn't powerful enough. That said, try getting a Dell DA-2 locally, it's powerful enough for your card and is quite portable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another really important specification of the psu is the wattage.. If it was used for a network router, it probably isn't powerful enough. That said, try getting a Dell DA-2 locally, it's powerful enough for your card and is quite portable.

Thx buddy, today I receive everything ! ATX, GTX970 and the EXP GDC V7 with ATX cable !!!, all seem to work, the GTX light UP, the PC detect something, but when i go to see if the CG is detect, there nothing new... an idea ?

Thx buddy, today I receive everything ! ATX, GTX970 and the EXP GDC V7 with ATX cable !!!, all seem to work, the GTX light UP, the PC detect something, but when i go to see if the CG is detect, there nothing new... an idea ?

What power supply do you use?

I'm interested in the amperage on 12V rail, should be labeled on the casing.

Sent from my iPhone

What power supply do you use?

I'm interested in the amperage on 12V rail, should be labeled on the casing.

Sent from my iPhone

An ANTEC 520W M (Édit : My bad, I Will give you the amperage when I'm back home !)

So, after 2h I'm admit my defeat... i've test with 2 cards (GTX970 and 8800GT) and 2 differents PC (Asus g74x, and old MSI), the CG never pop up, I think its due to the ATX, i'm will wait for the dell DA-2 for more test.

An ANTEC 520W M (Édit : My bad, I Will give you the amperage when I'm back home !)

So, after 2h I'm admit my defeat... i've test with 2 cards (GTX970 and 8800GT) and 2 differents PC (Asus g74x, and old MSI), the CG never pop up, I think its due to the ATX, i'm will wait for the dell DA-2 for more test.

Did you find that amperage rataing?

Take a photo with your phone on the ratings label so that I can check it =)

@Roromg

Yeah 40A on the 12V+ rail, no problem there =)

Sounds like you might need Setup 1.x to allocate the card to the PCI bus. Talk to @Tech Inferno Fan!

DO you have possibility to test your EXP GDC on another system?

I owe you one jacobsson ! Breaking news !!!! it's working !! When I search in tuto of Tech Inferno Fan, i found "DSDTEditor" and after remove all nvidia drivers, reboot, instal the driver gtx970 and it's f****** work !, I've the 560m AND the gtx970 ... i've just play Watch Dogs (+the mod "The Worse MOD) all setting ULTRA (juste two or three in high) and my plasma tv 50 = 30-60 fps with fraps It's far far away of my 15-20 fps on low setting with the 560m !! :Banane36:

So now if someone can say me the tricks for having the 970 on the laptop screen it will be heaven :)

To enable Optimus functionality on the eGPU check if you can disable the dGPU in the BIOS. If not then Setup 1.30 can do it. Optimus providing the accelerated internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression.

Sadly the BIOS of my Asus is very limited.... So, I will use the Setup 1.30, after donate :P

EDIT SETUP 1.x : So, new issue, when I want to disable the Dgpu, black screen with 2 lignes of code (disable blablabla) and under them the "_" but I stay 10 min and nothing... It's normal to be that long ?

EDIT V2 : Today, the Egpu it's no more..., the gtx970 disapear, and in Setup 1.x no more detected :( I don't now how ...

11:11 (11th November) taobao/aliexpress 15% off deals for EXP GDC

I believe there's a 15% off deal on EXP GDC in 17 hours or so. Anybody contemplating getting one may want to do so during the 11:11 sale.

The "BEAST" edition being the newest unit being the one that integrates all the desirable features of V6 (excellent connector positions, USB connector) with the best of the V7 (150W DC jack, x2 link support) and adding a new honeycomb acylic enclosure option.

You'll note that Cloud is offering a Paypal purchase option in his aliexpress (English) store. These being the links of interest:

Ê×Ò³-ÊýÂ빤³¡-ÌÔ±¦Íø (Chinese customers or Yoybuy taobao agents)

hero cloud's store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling set game card,mini iphone memory card,card reader writer software and more on Aliexpress.com (English/ROW customers)

• Thumbs Up 1

So the beast includes the 220w which would be enough for the gtx970, right?

On paper, the 220W Dell DA-2 should be fine with a GTX970, even the heavily OCed factory ones. I say "on paper" because we've seen @jacobsson wrestle with some unusual voltage fluctuations with his DA-2 causing instability with his Zotac GTX970. Is his an an isolate incident? We'll need a second set of results to find out.

Note: The 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter is only included when purchaed via EXP GDC Chinese taobao links. Cloud doesn't provide it with his English/ROW aliexpress store purchases instead preferring the user source one locally in their region. That's supposedly due to the high cost of shipping a heavy second-hand Dell DA-2 AC adapter from China. Be sure to ask for the 6P cable connector if buying via aliexpress so can use a DA-2 sourced locally.

On paper, the 220W Dell DA-2 should be fine with a GTX970, even the heavily OCed factory ones. I say "on paper" because we've seen @jacobsson wrestle with some unusual voltage fluctuations with his DA-2 causing instability with his Zotac GTX970. Is his an an isolate incident? We'll need a second set of results to find out.

Note: The 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter is only included when purchaed via EXP GDC Chinese taobao links. Cloud doesn't provide it with his English/ROW aliexpress store purchases instead preferring the user source one locally in their region. That's supposedly due to the high cost of shipping a heavy second-hand Dell DA-2 AC adapter from China. Be sure to ask for the 6P cable connector if buying via aliexpress so can use a DA-2 sourced locally.

Hmm, Might as well get a normal PSU then, right? What source is easiest to buy from for europe (netherlands)? Banggood?