EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

What exact card are you using?

Your GPU-score is sick :P

MSI 4G Gaming GTX 970, I think the card can achieve 10k+ on Fire Strike on a desktop rig though. I'm running a heavily modded Skyrim at ~25 - 40FPS which includes a demanding ENB and 2K/4K Textures on 1680x1050. It still stutters now and again on the outside but I'm guessing this is inescapable. The weak processor + bandwidth just won't let me run it 100% smoothly. But, then again I'm used to running things on low graphics at 20FPS so this is mind-blowing for me and thank God I have crappy eyes so <60 FPS isn't a big deal.

Might eventually incorporate the GTX 970 into a desktop rig to actually use the power it can provide. For now I'm happy running every single game I have smoothly on ultra.

• Thumbs Up 1

hi, i just follow this discussion about e-gpu. i saw you use this e-gpu with gtx970 ? is it working properly? and can you list all the parts that you use? and where to buy it? currently now im in the netherlands. i am really exited and interested to try this method for adding GPU to notebook or NUC.

is it possible to use this e-gpu (EXP-GDC) with Intel NUC 4250? which one is better v6/v7?

i am sorry for having so many questions, and forgive me for the bad english.

kind regards,

Yeah, it was working out the box for the most part. I had to reboot the system with card attached, hotplugging would not work for me. I think my laptop (X220) has very little problems with eGPU connections via the ExpressCard slot but other laptops may require Setup 1.30 or fiddling about.

Right now you'd want a laptop with a Thunderbolt port to take advantage of the larger PCI-e speeds, ExpressCard coming in second and mPCI-e being the least favourable I think.

I see the NUC mini pc comes with a PCI-e expansion slot, so you do not need a EXP GDC, what you probably need is a some kind of extension to the PCI-e slot so that you can attach the GPU outside of the box. Doing this you will probably be able to take full advantage of the PCI-e speeds the GPU can offer (x16 2.0/3.0). The only large problem is the underpowered processor, the i5-4250U which is a low power consumption CPU which will probably bottleneck some CPU-demanding (Crysis and Battlefield series) titles and some other recent games.

c22 said:
Yeah, it was working out the box for the most part. I had to reboot the system with card attached, hotplugging would not work for me. I think my laptop (X220) has very little problems with eGPU connections via the ExpressCard slot but other laptops may require Setup 1.30 or fiddling about.

Right now you'd want a laptop with a Thunderbolt port to take advantage of the larger PCI-e speeds, ExpressCard coming in second and mPCI-e being the least favourable I think.

I see the NUC mini pc comes with a PCI-e expansion slot, so you do not need a EXP GDC, what you probably need is a some kind of extension to the PCI-e slot so that you can attach the GPU outside of the box. Doing this you will probably be able to take full advantage of the PCI-e speeds the GPU can offer (x16 2.0/3.0). The only large problem is the underpowered processor, the i5-4250U which is a low power consumption CPU which will probably bottleneck some CPU-demanding (Crysis and Battlefield series) titles and some other recent games.

---------------------------------------------

Edited by sbalgnanad

c22 said:

Edited by sbalgnanad

hi, thank you for the reply. basically i want to use this e-gpu with my GTX 760 and GRX 980 on INTEL NUC D4250WYK. so i have to take out the wireless card and change it with mini-pci-e from EXP GDC right?

can both card run normal with this e-gpu ? do i need another PSU ? because it is just 220W.

i just bought the EXP GDC v.7 with mini-pci-e slot. (on this link: http://www.yoybuy.com/en/show/37107780625/).

do i need another parts to make it run with my vga card? (760 and 980)?

oh and btw can you post your current setup with the e-gpu of EXP GDC?

soo much thanks :)

regards,

OK I misread the NUC description, tbh mini PCI-e is so throttled it will not be worth buying a GTX 980 for. I can't predict whether it'll work properly out of the box either. On paper it should be compatible with an eGPU but you may or may not have to do some tweaking in order to get it to work. I simply can't know.

The Dell DA-2 should run the GTX 980 and 760, just don't use a highly overclocked version. You'll need some PCI-e power cables to connect from the adapter to the card.

c22 said:
OK I misread the NUC description, tbh mini PCI-e is so throttled it will not be worth buying a GTX 980 for. I can't predict whether it'll work properly out of the box either. On paper it should be compatible with an eGPU but you may or may not have to do some tweaking in order to get it to work. I simply can't know.

The Dell DA-2 should run the GTX 980 and 760, just don't use a highly overclocked version. You'll need some PCI-e power cables to connect from the adapter to the card.

Edited by sbalgnanad

hm... i follow the instruction on page 1 for buying the parts.

1. EXP GDC on yoybuy store (this is include the Dell DA-2 right? and i have to change the weight manually on checkout?

2. ATX Power cable for connecting the GPU (either gtx 760/980) to the Adapter of EXP GDC

3. case (optional)

is there any parts i should buy more?

kind regards,

Hi Buddy!

So you're looking to get the EXP GDC V7 from here I assume?

The Yoybuy package includes

• EXP GDC V7 (also called ARES V7)
  • DA-2 PSU
  • 6-pin power split cable
  • Expresscardcable / mPCIe data cable (depending on choice)

And that's all you need if you're planning on using the DA-2 as PSU.

The DA-2 should be sufficient for the GTX980, but I'd check the TDP carefully on benchmarking reviews first so that your brand of choice is staying within the 220W limit.

jacobsson said:
Hi Buddy!

• DA-2 PSU

The DA-2 should be sufficient for the GTX980, but I'd check the TDP carefully on benchmarking reviews first so that your brand of choice is staying within the 220W limit.

Edited by sbalgnanad

Hi Buddy!

• DA-2 PSU

@jacobsson @Tech Inferno Fan

Last two nights back I was gaming with my rig heck even last night but initially two nights back I experienced this blackout again and I thought to myself, since the EXP GDC V6 has an extra power slot (DC interface), can we use that to provide extra power other than the already supplied 220W Dell DA-2 adapter? I have a doubt on voltage lowering states of the DA-2 hence the so-called blackouts (my theory) so can we use safely use that extra power slot (beside the USB hub) with any 12V pin type adapter?

@jacobsson @Tech Inferno Fan

Last two nights back I was gaming with my rig heck even last night but initially two nights back I experienced this blackout again and I thought to myself, since the EXP GDC V6 has an extra power slot (DC interface), can we use that to provide extra power other than the already supplied 220W Dell DA-2 adapter? I have a doubt on voltage lowering states of the DA-2 hence the so-called blackouts (my theory) so can we use safely use that extra power slot (beside the USB hub) with any 12V pin type adapter?

You could use say an ATX PSU to drive one of your other PCIe power connector. You shouldn't be trying to use additional power supplies to drive the 75W slot power.

Indeed, a OCed HD7950 Boost could use up to 251W peak power: HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ X² Boost 3 GB Review | techPowerUp

Your black screens could be the DA-2 overload circuitry kicking.

Another option would be to decrease peak power by undervolting and perhaps downclocking the card using AMD Overdrive or Sapphire Trixx software.

You could use say an ATX PSU to drive one of your other PCIe power connector. You shouldn't be trying to use additional power supplies to drive the 75W slot power.

Indeed, a OCed HD7950 Boost could use up to 251W peak power: HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ X² Boost 3 GB Review | techPowerUp

Your black screens could be the DA-2 overload circuitry kicking.

Another option would be to decrease peak power by undervolting and perhaps downclocking the card using AMD Overdrive or Sapphire Trixx software.

@Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks! RIght I think that is the only logical way to go, it will be an advantage to me as I plan to build a mini ITX setup soon so I guess the Dell DA-2 will be very useful to lower powered cards like GTX 970 (nando correct me if am wrong and tell me if someone already have this setup with the EXP GDC?)

To me undervolting or underclocking does not sound so good LOL I prefer to play games at Ultra Settings @ full HD =P

Hello, I'm new here and want upgrade my Dell Vostro 3450 i3-2310M with HD3000 on Win7Pro (64 bit).

I had not decided yet, which GPU and PSU I want drive (all I know: Nvidia GPU and no ATX PSU)

Not wanting to build my own enclosure + price (both of adapter and enclosure) gave the decision for EXP GDC over BPlus PE4C 2.0.

Now I have different offers. Complete calculation in the Spoiler.

V6 options

1a

Banggood: V6 only with ATX cable (the ATX to EXP cable, right?) with free shipping to Germany(is this really correct?) 54.75$ + 10,40$ tax

Acrylic Enclosure from yoybuy.com 11,43$ + $9.51* China Post Arimail for Small Packages

+ own PSU 25$

+ own 6P-pin PCI-e power cable (best would be, If I could add the original cable to my yoybuy.com-enclosure-order, but I the there is only the ATX to EXP cable as own article) 8$

=119,09$

1b

lika 1a - 20,94$ acrylic enclosure

+ steel enclosure $24.87 from yoybuy.com + shipping $20.95 China Post Arimail for small packages + 8,70$ tax

=152,67$

*estimated 500g, at Aliexpress.com there is an seller tianhao - strangely not hero cloud's store - who calculate $12.69 + $8.12 (is this reliable?, would be option 1c)

**estimated 1200g

v7 options:

2a

Yoybuy V7 package $50.08 + Acrylic enclosure $11,43 + ATX to EXP cable $1,68 + $45.95 shipping with China Post SAL Parcel (estimated 2600g)

=109,14$ + 20,73$

=129,87$

2b

Yoybuy V7 package $50.08 + steel enclosure $24,78 + ATX to EXP cable $1,68 + $53.96 shipping with China Post SAL Parcel (estimated 3100g)

= 130,5$ + 24,8$

=155,3$

Summarized:

V6/acrylic: 119,09$

V6/steel: 152,67$

V7/acrylic: 129,87$

V7/steel: 155,3$

V7 has also comfort of one package and maximum of one personal appearance at costums authoritys

Remark/Question 1: I am a bit irritated about the enclosure compatibility and delivery. Google translator said to the metal case:

Spot has come, the day of delivery!

this case is currently only compatible with V7.0 version EXP GDC.

V6.0 version modified pieces have been delivered, if necessary V6.0 version please Remarks.

Name: EXP GDC metal chassis

Material: SGCC galvanized steel sheet

installation position Dimensions: Length 29CM * 14CM * W high 5CM

weight : 1.1 kg

So there is an option for V6? Where can I make a remark? Before purchasing or after? Have I make a remark, for the acrylic version, since they is also avialible for the v7 and since these is newer no remark means: it is for V7?

Q2: Is your VGA in your acrylic box secure? Could I lay down the box on the wide side, tilting 90°? Is it durable against small impact?

Q3: Has somebody experience with the V7 in one of the enclosures? If driven without enclosure how would you rate the cable management? Does the power cable to the vga goes in front of the vga fan for example?

Q4: Is support given, if I buy from banggood?

Q5: Is any 6P-pin PCI-e power cable suitable? Does I get it right, that Cain_enD had to built his own cable (wtf)? But he is the only one?

Q6: Has v7 any advantages? At the aliexpress shop I can read:

The input interface:

Mini PCI-E (WLAN\WWAN\DMC)

Expresscard (34#/54#)

NGFF (Slot A),

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt, really?

Has somebody driven a V6 modell with an AC adapter >75W? When I buy a PSU extra, than maybe not the 220W Dell modell.

At the list for recommended GPUs there is the hyphen/line between the red and green cards at the V6 pic above GTX660 and at V7 above GTX680! Is this arbitrary classification for marketing or reasonable hint due to better system?

Q7: What would be the best card, you can advise, which don't will bore and waiting for the CPU. (I know, there is an bandwith bottleneck too, but in desktop area there are often advised gpu-cpu-pairs which match good. Nobody would drive low-cost-CPU with high-end-GPU)

Sorry for my bad English. I hope somebody want help me. Many thanks at all users here, especially jacobsson and Tech Inferno Fan.

14..10: This is the second try for posting. Today.I am relative sure, that I want buy a used GF Ti560, so the DA-2 from Dell would be necessary.

I advise to buy the Dell DA2 directly here in Germany. I think it's cheaper and you have warranty. Maybe you read it, I use the same notebook as you do, also with the Dell power adapter and a GTX 670.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the Answers, but could someone response direct to Q1 - Q5, please? That would be great. Especially for deciding from where I buy the EXP GDC. Primarily: Is 6P-pin PCI-e power cable suitable? (Q5), so I could buy from Banggood. And how would you describe the stability of the acrylic enclosure?

I am getting mixed info on acceptable cards for EXP GDC... Is it impossible to PCIe a card to a laptop with a preexisting dedicated GPU? I have a 840M, but would like to upgrade to a desktop card when I am not on the move.

I am getting mixed info on acceptable cards for EXP GDC... Is it impossible to PCIe a card to a laptop with a preexisting dedicated GPU? I have a 840M, but would like to upgrade to a desktop card when I am not on the move.

No you have to read more the guide mate to be able to fully understand the whole concept and decide later on. It is not impossible thats why there are lots of successful implementations here. Hardwiring of desktop GPUs though is not electronically and electrically possible possible hence all these experimental stuff which are successful. If you want to be able to upgrade look for a laptop that uses the MXM gpu platform which is removable like ram. Google this "GTX 980M MXM" and you'll see good example of a compact mobile GPU

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Cool. I also have a laptop with an HD3000. I am debating on just building a desktop, as I am much more familiar with the hardware on those than laptops. I do like to tinker though...

You can do both why not? Later on this year or early 2015 when skylake platform is here for sure I will build one and use my current gpu on it

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether the EXP GDC v6 or v7 with EC adapter would work with a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro? The Macbook has an expresscard slot but I've heard mixed reports about whether people have been able to get the Mac to play nicely with eGPUs. I'm not interested in gaming with the eGPU but want to add some CUDA capabilities for video editing in Adobe Premiere CC.

The laptop has an Nvidia GT 330M graphics chip as well as the integrated Intel HD Graphics and the CPU is a 2.66ghz Core i7. I'm currently Mountain Lion 10.8.5 but would be able to update to Mavericks or Yosemite if compatibility was better in those. I'm not wanting to use it with Boot Camp.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe

Somewhat related: $113-shipped PE4C 2.0 is no more. It's a US$134-shipped PE4C 2.1 instead including pics and brief product comparison. In summary if you have a EXP GDC V6/V7 it's (imho) a better featured product for most users AND it costs less.

Would I miss anything if I ordered EXP GDC V6 adapter only? I have pin connecter, express card cord and a power supply.

Would I miss anything if I ordered EXP GDC V6 adapter only? I have pin connecter, express card cord and a power supply.

EXP GDC's innovative features (x16 slot, detachable mHDMI cable, Dell DA-2 PSU, PCIe power splitter connector) have forced BPlus to upp their game. Worth waiting to see if EXP GDC is updated to integrated some of PE4C's unique features as well as the feedback about EXP GDC V6 having a better layout than V7. If you absolutely need an adapter now then a US$50 EXP GDC V6 will most certainly do the job: EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00 . If not, then might be worth waiting to see the next EXP GDC product updates.

• Thumbs Up 1