EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

@rubayethk

All of my switches has moved, you have to push pretty good to move it, it should definitely move =)

Make sure to move it while powered off, even remove the card from the slot to reach it better.

The switches didnt seem to help. However it is definately a timing issue for detection. I very quickly inserted, pulled out, and re inserted the egpu from the express card slot and it seemed to then detect the card and everything is working again on a external monitor.

I cant seem to figure out how to consistently get it to boot up correctly though :(

The switches didnt seem to help. However it is definately a timing issue for detection. I very quickly inserted, pulled out, and re inserted the egpu from the express card slot and it seemed to then detect the card and everything is working again on a external monitor.

I cant seem to figure out how to consistently get it to boot up correctly though :(

Yep, there you go!

Very annoying that the reset delay doesn't work properly on some units :(

I use a power switch (see enclosure images in signature) for my D220P, not due to detection problems, just that I don't care much for the auto-power function and like to use the PSU for various tasks.

Some systems like to have the GPU powered up before inserting the EC.

It's awfully quiet in here, did you all have cable fires lately? :)

I would chat but apparently my posts always gets moved and/or deleted by mods. They're so strict with the posts here that makes newbies like me not want to post...

Anyways, my experiences with EXP GDC so far has been very good. Initially I couldn't get it to work with X230 16gb, but after downgrading BIOS, and ram to 8GB its running like a charm now. I also like the simple yet very functional design (compared to bplus)

One question, have you guys had experiences with 1.2opt or x2 or whatever with the EXP GDC?

Also, I'm planning to get a display case for car models as an enclosure, but a little worried about heat issues (display case possibly made of plastic and it can get reallllly hot in my country (all the time cause I live on the friggin equator))

I would chat but apparently my posts always gets moved and/or deleted by mods. They're so strict with the posts here that makes newbies like me not want to post...

We regularly get newbies coming in here posting useless one liners to reach their 5 'quality posts' quota allowing downloads. Unlike other areas on T|I, such users can make posts without them being approved.

Apologies then. I may have been a bit over enthusiastic in deleting/moving posts after the last lot of such posts. newbie **genuine** eGPU users are most welcome to post here :)

• Thumbs Up 2

@Ryuuga

Hi buddy!

I guess you've already seen this then?

As it happens I got my enclosure a few days ago so thought I'd share a photo. My egpu lives in a cupboard but wanted a bit of protection after my 18month old pulled it out on about the second day. Despite being mostly push fit it does feel quite sturdy and holds the card fairly well. Was a little confused at first as didn't realise you need to take off the bottom part of the EXP GDC 6. It was also a bit too tight against the metal on the side with monitor connections so I had to file out the opening a bit - but not too much as the interference is how it holds the card. I'm in China so cost me about 70RMB delivered two days later so pretty happy with it overall.

As an aside I also bought the little laptop 'stand' you can just about see in the second photo from the same seller, as it's an old laptop and runs fairly hot (especially in a cupboard!) I thought it may help to raise the back a bit. Actually this seemed to make it worse and my computer cut out when running a 3dmark6 benchmark using this which it hadn't previously. So guess it prefers being flat!

Cheers

post-26677-14494997780925_thumb.jpg

post-26677-14494997782686_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Great job buddy!

I think it looks great. Have you re-pasted the CPU of yours? A good thermal paste can drop temps significantly!

Yeah I do like the look and would happily have it on a desk if I had one. Egpu temperatures seem fine by the way so the enclosure hasn't caused this to heat up much more.

Before I put my egpu together I upgraded the CPU from a T6500 to a T9600 using artic silver (my first post in the main egpu thread outlines my system). Stupidly I didn't measure temperatures before the upgrade, just know it was hot! After upgrade measured temps are around 60 to 90. As it was my first go at replacing a CPU I'm now wondering whether I applied too much paste and got some where I shouldn't have so may give it another go. Although the laptop was a bit of a pain to take apart I'm sure I could do it quicker the second time...!

Hi Guys, first post here. I've been going through this thread awhile now and it's been tremendously helpful setting up my EXP GDC. Thanks for all the great info and pics.

I want to follow up on the topic about using your own ATX PSU instead of using the provided Dell power brick. Coyote, you're a bloody genius. I can't believe you're the first to post this problem with the 4-pin on the ATX power adapter. It took me literally hours to figure out what the hell you were trying to say though, I was trying out all sorts of combinations until I finally realized what you meant. Anyway for those that are confused as I, here's what you should do if you want to use your own ATX PSU:

- Buy the ATX adapter from Cloudhero

- Plug the 8-pin end of the ATX adapter into the EXP GDC 8-pin port

- Plug the 20-pin ATX power cable from your PSU to the 20-pin port in the ATX adapter

- Whatever you do, do NOT plug anything into that square 4-pin on the ATX adapter, it'll either melt like Coyote's, or the EXP GDC will switch on and off immediately after boot / not switch on at all - depending which way you plugged the 4-pin in. Leave it unplugged. (And someone should really tell Cloudhero)

- Connect a 6-pin PCIe power cable from your PSU into the 6-pin EXP GDC port, the one on the end. Yes normally you would use that port to plug in the 2-way 6-pin cable into your graphics card - Don't.

- Now use another 2x PCIe power cables 6/8-pin (depending on your gfx card) from your PSU to plug into your graphics card. You may not have enough PCIe plugs here so you might have to be creative and use flat 4-pin power to PCIe adapters.

Et voila. Took me ages to figure out what Coyote meant by that 6-pin, and yes I was mistakenly plugging all sorts of 6-pins into the 8-pin port on the EXP GDC... Thank god my PSU has some sort of short circuit fail-safe. I'll post some pictures soon, I think that will better explain what I'm trying to convey.

The reason I'm using an ATX PSU is because, yes I'm going to plug a monstrously obscene graphics card in. But also because I too hear funny noises coming out of that Dell external PSU, especially when the gfx card is under strain. Run a 3DMark benchmark on it and you'll know what I mean. Also, if you can get a SFX (Small Form Factor) PSU and it has modular cabling, the solution is actually more elegant and lighter than the Dell power brick. I have a SIlverstone SFX 450W 80plus Gold I bought for 45 quid and it works like a charm, definitely looks more compact and lighter than the power brick.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oeh, nice. I'm not doing an eGPU project at the moment, but I'm examining all possible options, and was also looking at the Silverstone SFX 450 Watt Gold edition.

I wonder why Cloud did it that way... Very confusing setting it up like that.

I'm looking forward to your pictures. :)

@Mikhailovich

I don't wanna sound like a douche (don't misunderstand me here) but I was very very clear to explain exactly why you guys should not connect a regular PCIe 4-pin w/o the exp gdc atx cable in the DA-2 power interface! This is due to reverse polarity and this is noted in my first post (read this carefully). With that said, welcome to the thread :)

Edit: The 8pin DA-2 interface and PCIe 6pin power routing port are directly connected so it should be safe to connect a 6pin male from the ATX psu, just be very careful with the DA-2 power interface, I don't wanna hear about someones house burning down!

OK, after two weeks of contacting the support because of the broken cable, they told me that they cannot send me another one. I will get 10% of the 50 dollars back. 5 dollars. NICE!

I paid 50 dollars for shipping for an adapter that does not work because of the damned cable. Very nice offer, they told me I could send the whole stuff back so that I can get the new adapter, BUT: I have to pay shipping again: 2x50 dollars. A**holes. Not to mention the PSU has a very loud and deep coil whine, sounds like it would explode. And I'm not fully using its power, just 140 watts.

I will sell this piece of crap to someone who has a hdmi-express card cable (like from the PE4H) because I do not know where I could buy it from.

And I cannot recommend anyone to buy this trash unless you live in China as the support sucks and there's always a chance it could be broken.

@Uftherr

I can't blame you for having this opinion!

From now I can no longer promote the EXP GDC since too many people have quality problems and no service from Cloud.

My advice is to simply hold on to older hardware like the PE4L2.1b and wait for the new PE4C v2.1 to roll out.

With that said, please continue posting your results and experience.

Consider this before purchase

Why US$113-shipped PE4C V2 is better than ~US$99-shipped EXP GDC?

+ BPlus have a history of delivering quality products to the DIY eGPU community

+ Easier to purchase with cheaper logistics

+ Has H1PA option -> can connect to a desktop PC to extend the slot

+ Has a x2 link option

+ Has locking x16 slot

+ Can have detachable HDMI in both ends (especially good for mini PCIe users) by using a PM3N/EC2C + HDMI-to-mHDMI cable

Why EXP GDC V6.0 is better than PE4C V2?

+ import tax free for some EU countries

+ Dell DA-2 native input cable -> Customer can buy the PSU locally in their own country

+ Rubber protected (re-enforced) mPCIe/EC cable

+ Very good shape of adapter

Disadvantages:

- Quality issues with dubious return policy: USB port power, faulty mPCIe/EC cables, PCI Reset Delay faulty on some samples

- logistics/delivery/purchase is more complex via Taobao agents

- No x2 link capability

OOOOOk so i have just bought one of these EXP GDC V6.0. I went with the express car option as i want to keep my WIFI card in place.

I got the card thou Hero cloud on ali express and after over a week of back and forth and not getting the answers i needed i eventually got the car ordered and express shipped to Aus. Total time taken from order to landing was 22 days. Probably should have stuck with standard shipping.

My Rig

Toshiba Qosmio x500 Gaming laptop

8GB ram Cor i7 1.6ghz

IGPU GTX250

EXP card Express kit.

Geforce GTX 760

Thermaltake 750W

Took me some stuffing around getting it to run and work. Mainly just diabling drivers, enabling drivers, rebooting and blindly mashing the keyboard untill all of a sudden. Wham. we have life. Laptop screen stays closed and the LED monitor sitting on top is alive,

The card worked great. Firing on it own. and once i realized i needed more power cables plugged into the eGPU we had the lights we needed.

Now when i got it first up and running all was good in the world. I had BF4 running at ultra. i had the water droplets running across the screen in the game it was awesome. Played for about 2 hours. Jumped in mine craft. the same result. heaven on earth.

Shut her down and went to bed. Next evening. Long boot up. Random red screen before log on. Everything feels a second slower then it did. Windows are taking longer to load. Mine craft is not smashing blocks. and BF4 is bouncing all over the screen like the flash. My Frame rate dropped to 10FPS in BF4. The new hardline beta is running like Doom. The original.

I have no idea whats going on.

The card is still running. The temp is low and all looks good. I feel that maybe we are clashing for suporemacy between the cards. or something more. Now im not sure if im in the right topic here but it looks like a great place to start. i like the idea of the EXP, and there is plenty of information on how to buy one. My question is how to set this thing up properly. the supplier is next to no help at all. And there seems to be no tech support anywhere.

Whats required is a step by step guide to installing, Switching on, Setting the computer to run at highest capability and maintaining the setups.

@madtail79

Ok, so after setting it up I worked perfectly, then after the first shutdown it now works really bad?

Can you post a picture of your display adapters from device manager?

Also, download GPU-Z and look what linkspeed it's reporting (take a screenshoot).

//Jacobsson

@madtail79 Ok, is there any bios option for disabling the dGPU (250m)? You Will have much better bandwidth with 1.2opt link. The first time you had it running did you have the eGPU powered up and connected during boot or later in windows?

edit: this option is often called "switchable graphics".

Im not sure. Im not that clued up with all this. Ill work out how to access the bios and see what i can find

Also, did you have I powered up during boot or in windows when it ran smooth?