EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

This probably sounds silly to you guys, but... Isn't there the option to purchase a smaller (and less powerful) AC adapter? 220W is far more than what I'd need, and that adapter is huge.

This probably sounds silly to you guys, but... Isn't there the option to purchase a smaller (and less powerful) AC adapter? 220W is far more than what I'd need, and that adapter is huge.

As you can see there is a 5.5/2.5mm 12v AC input as well, so basically you could buy the aliexpress -version (which don't have the dell adapter) and a generic 12v 5.5/2.5mm adapter from eBay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, that's a very good question, I haven't tested this myself!

The DA-2 adapter is special in that way that it need two pins to be "shorted", in this case done by the EXP GDC when EC is connected, in order to power on the 12V rails. The Dell DA-2 power interface is unique in its physical connection so it's "safe" to say that only DA-2 will be connected to the special 8-pin power input of the EXP GDC.

The 5.5/2.5mm is a common interface, you only have two "pins", GND and 12V, so the EXP GDC will most certainly power on as soon as you connect the adapter, in this case you lose this nice "Auto ON" feature.

In that case I'd put a toggle switch like this in between.

@noric

1. This might be interesting, either find a 5.5/2.5mm 12v adapter from eBay directly: like this (choose the 8A rated adapter from the menu)

or

2. Find any 5.5/2.1mm 12V (common for LCD monitors) together with this very low cost 5.5/2.1mm -> 5.5/2.5mm adapter.

EDIT: Well, then the obvious questions is:

What polarity does the EXP GDC use? And what polarity does the adapter have?

An easy guide for checking polarity is found here (multimeter needed).

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I'd have never thought to the polarity thing. It's probably better to stay with the provided 220w ac adapter, unless they come up with an alternative.

I was now looking at this enclosure: http://www.yoybuy.com/en/show/35071708906/?s=t

It looks good and it's cheap. One problem I was thinking about is that with it you won't be able to detach the hdmi and power cable from the exp gdc. Well, you can detach them, but you'll have a hard time re-plugging them. In order to be able to detach the power cable (at least), I thought you could use a DA-2 extender cable, but there is none on the eBay...

Wow, I'd have never thought to the polarity thing. It's probably better to stay with the provided 220w ac adapter, unless they come up with an alternative.

I was now looking at this enclosure: EXP GDC external kayakeli transparent enclosure installation length up to 28.5CM video card Item

It looks good and it's cheap. One problem I was thinking about is that with it you won't be able to detach the hdmi and power cable from the exp gdc. Well, you can detach them, but you'll have a hard time re-plugging them. In order to be able to detach the power cable (at least), I thought you could use a DA-2 extender cable, but there is none on the eBay...

Of course I own that enclosure =) (I use it for a PE4L enclosure atm, you can see my new 3Dprint enclosure in my sign)

And yes you are right, you'd need to use a 'carpet knife' and break an opening for it....or solder your own extension power cable!

I'd go for the knife idea if were you since that's probably very easy if you have patience with it.

Nice work with your enclosure! Very handy having it behind the monitor.

About the carpet knife, is it really possible to cut plexiglass (it's plexiglass, isn't it?) with it?

I have a DC-Barrel PSU on order, and a really crappy old Nvidia card to test it with, so if something messes up then it's not the end of the world.

Please do the polarity check First :)

How to check the EXP though?

I guess I can put one multimeter probe on +12v on the ATX PSU, then see touch pin of DC socket, and see if its 0v or 12v, and if its 0v then its pin positive.

@useafo

Do you have an old PE4L laying around?

I have suggestions for nice mods you could do to make your second Dell adapter useful, if you like soldering and such?

I modded my secondary adapter so it now has:

• ON/OFF toggle switch,
  • 5V rail and a
  • Common 8-pin pinout

Now I can power my old spare PE4L adapter, charging my phone etc.

It's also useful for a general power supply for testing other electronics that uses 12v/5v, I just make an cable which plugs in the common 8-pin tail which fits my needs in that particular case.

I do have a spare PE4H. But I don't know how to mod it. If I have a spare d220p, I'll sell it at eBay.

1) Before buy a box for EXP check out the size of your card, there is restrictions.

2) They send used Dell power adapter, it is a default option.

Could you elaborate on this?

1) Of course you shouldn't use a card that draws more than 220W, since the AC-adapter is rated 220W.

Sorry, I didn't see that you were talking about the acrylic enclosure. Thanks!

2) I don't think Dell manufacture a lot of those 12V DA-2 adapters anymore, but I might be wrong.

Do you mean there is an option to choose whether you want a used or a new adapter?

About number 1), I think he means that there is a limited space (28.5cm if I remember correctly) to accomodate the VGA into the enclosure.

About number 2), are those AC adapter really used?

Wow, shipped and all?!

You can get them pretty cheap shipped here in the UK too.

post-10650-14494997581128_thumb.png

The problem is getting hold of the PCie Power cable from EXP 6pin to GPU 6pin+8pin.

Wow, shipped and all?!

Yup!

You can get them pretty cheap shipped here in the UK too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11547[/ATTACH]

The problem is getting hold of the PCie Power cable from EXP 6pin to GPU 6pin+8pin.

Coolio.

I like how both of you have avatars with laptop+eGPU ;D......

Could you elaborate on this?

1) Of course you shouldn't use a card that draws more than 220W, since the AC-adapter is rated 220W.

Sorry, I didn't see that you were talking about the acrylic enclosure. Thanks!

2) I don't think Dell manufacture a lot of those 12V DA-2 adapters anymore, but I might be wrong.

Do you mean there is an option to choose whether you want a used or a new adapter?

Yep, sorry for my English, it is pretty rusty. You can only fit a video card that meets this requirements:

post-6196-14494997584584_thumb.jpg

Only two options either you want used adapter, either you not. :)

On their official taobao shop written "2、套装中包含的电源是二手的,成色不定,随机发货,一般9成新以上。", that means "The power adapter that comes with the package is second hand adapter, cannot guarantee the quality(of the adapter), it will be delivered on random basis, usually it is 90% new and above"

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, sorry for my English, it is pretty rusty. You can only fit a video card that meets this requirements:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11560[/ATTACH]

Only two options either you want used adapter, either you not. :)

On their official taobao shop written "2、套装中包含的电源是二手的,成色不定,随机发货,一般9成新以上。", that means "The power adapter that comes with the package is second hand adapter, cannot guarantee the quality(of the adapter), it will be delivered on random basis, usually it is 90% new and above"

I'd also like to add that the height became a slight problem when using PE4L + Asus DC2 GTX660, I manage to just barely squeeze it in there tilted, due to the external heat pipes of the card. I can imagine the EXP GDC's bottom layer needs to be removed in order to fit a DC2-type card.