EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

So you cleared that up, that's great!

Then you'll receive the same stuff as I did in a custom paper box (EXP GDC logo print) including:

• Dell PSU
  • EXP GDC
  • PCIe 6-pin special power cable
  • ATX special power cable
  • EC/mPCIe -cable.

$96 is a bargain :P

This is the item/link you bought from right?

Yep, that is the link!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying to figure out what the DC jack on the side of the V6.0 would be for. I'm assuming that it can power any GPU that is under 75W if a correct 12v PSU is used, but i can't find if its pin positive or pin negative etc.

That's strange. Now they want me to pay again, and the total amount has changed from $85 to massive $150. I'm now required to pay the difference for packaging and shipping, even though I paid them while purchasing the products. The items have been shipped, and I don't know if they shipping them in one box or separate ones.

That's strange. Now they want me to pay again, and the total amount has changed from $85 to massive $150. I'm now required to pay the difference for packaging and shipping, even though I paid them while purchasing the products. The items have been shipped, and I don't know if they shipping them in one box or separate ones.

What the hell?

Hmm sound like:

1. you added a D220P separately? (it should be already included in the package)

or

2. You made 2 orders by mistake?

I'd go to the online chat and sort this out!

Please keep us updated!

EDIT: Did you pay $85 in total with the shipping included at first? If so what weight did you declare at that point? I'd say the package should weight ~1.5Kg

What the hell?

Hmm sound like:

1. you added a D220P separately? (it should be already included in the package)

or

2. You made 2 orders by mistake?

I'd go to the online chat and sort this out!

Please keep us updated!

EDIT: Did you pay $85 in total with the shipping included at first? If so what weight did you declare at that point? I'd say the package should weight ~1.5Kg

Yes, I did. Both estimated weight was less than 1kg, but the actual weight was more than 3kg. So that effected the price. And yes, I added the d220p separately, but I asked cloudhero to remove it, so it was a stupid move from me.

Edit: both items are in one box. if you want to know.

I'm trying to sum up some information about this EXP GDC v6.0.

1) the provided PSU is meant to be plugged in that 8-pin slot.

2) the 6-pin slot is meant to provide additional power to vgas that require PCI-E extra power.

3) the HDMI cable is soldered on the expresscard side.

Are my assumptions right?

Now, I'm wondering the following things:

a) How is it supposed to be switched on/off? Only by pulling the power cord out of the wall socket? :)

B) Is the 8-pin slot an ordinary 8-pin PCI-E slot? If so, could I use an ordinary ATX PSU, instead of the provided psu, by plugging the 8-pin PCI-E plug of the ATX PSU in the 8-pin slot of the EXP GDC?

c) what's the "TD switch" it comes with?

d) does it come with the startup delay switch used to overcome bios whitelisting? Maybe it is the so called "TD switch"?

Thanks!

A) The PSU get disconnected when ejecting the EC from the slot.

B) No, it has a different pin-out, but you'll receive a ATX cable adapter for desktop PSU.

C) It's a time delay in order to let BIOS post before recognizing the EXP GDC.

D) No, whitelisting issues can only be resolved by wifi-mPCIe-hotswap or using Setup 1.x by @Tech Inferno Fan

I'm currently on a phone if my answers seems rather short.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I did. Both estimated weight was less than 1kg, but the actual weight was more than 3kg. So that effected the price. And yes, I added the d220p separately, but I asked cloudhero to remove it, so it was a stupid move from me.

Edit: both items are in one box. if you want to know.

Holy crap, 3Kg?! The extra AC adapter explains it :) It should be included in the EXP GDC package as Cloud confirmed?

I just opened my package that arrived surprisingly quick. :) I made some pictures, if there is interest, I can post them here!

Not powered it on since I don't have any VGA to put into it - expected it to arrive at least two weeks from now... I will borrow a test card tomorrow from a friend, but I only know that it will be an Nvidia one, so don't expect any real benchmark results yet...

• Thumbs Up 2

Box outside:

post-25324-14494997567835_thumb.jpg

Box inside:

post-25324-14494997568131_thumb.jpg

post-25324-14494997568475_thumb.jpg

Contents:

post-25324-14494997568779_thumb.jpg

post-25324-14494997569062_thumb.jpg

There was even some kind of protection on the plastic cover (this gives it that brown color):

post-25324-14494997569689_thumb.jpg

Protective film and label removed:

post-25324-14494997569368_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

was the package content as I explained earlier? Yes, please post some pics :)

Yes. They clearly told me that I won't receive an EU power cord and I didn't :) everything else is like described.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm currently on a phone if my answers seems rather short.

Your answers seems rather good, thanks! :)

Great thing having the exp gdc automatically switching off by just pulling the expresscard.

Just one more thing: is the hdmi cable soldered on the expresscard side, isn't it?

Many thanks, Sonek!

How is that PCI-E power cable going to be used?

Please see annotations below (and forgive my limited paint skills :) ):

post-25324-1449499757005_thumb.jpg

You can see a complete setup here (from the product's detail page - animated gif):

(Just noticed: pictured below is a v5.8, but never mind, the principle is exactly the same)

T2SIkYXhVaXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.gif

Noric: thanks for correcting the gif!

post-25324-14494997570315_thumb.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice Sonec!

Then I'll have to say welcome to the EXP GDC family :)

I think you like this setup much better than the old PE4L fossils!

Well, let's not say anything bad abot the PE4L. There are many satisfied users of that solution and they gathered a lot of experience that we might also use...And I don't want to say anything about my setup until it is up and running :)

Btw, any suggestions for what card I should buy? I only have an i5 in my laptop, so for starters I am aiming for a GTX560Ti.

Naah I own two 3 x PE4L's my self, the EXP GDC is just a relief. Now I don't have to worry about broken cables due to packaging when going to friends for some gaming. I'd go for a Asus DCII GTX660, they should have dropped a lot in price by now.

Please see annotations below (and forgive my limited paint skills :) ):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11534[/ATTACH]

10000 hrs mspaint:

yoKmBXr.jpg

In a more serious note, that is SO much cleaner than the PE4L series. Not to mention the lack of wobbly-ness by having the full slot connector.

Has anyone done testing on the PE4L vs the EXP GDC v6? Preferably on the same slot. I found a performance difference on on the PE4L-EC060A and the PE4L-PM060A here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-52.html#post80638

Keep it on the same slot, cause that might've been the performance difference in my testing.

Your answers seems rather good, thanks! :)

Great thing having the exp gdc automatically switching off by just pulling the expresscard.

Just one more thing: is the hdmi cable soldered on the expresscard side, isn't it?

I guess you already found that out by now, but in case you didn't:

Yes it soldered in the EC-side =)

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy crap, 3Kg?! The extra AC adapter explains it It should be included in the EXP GDC package as Cloud confirmed?

The thing is I told Cloud to remove the AC adapter from the EXP GDC package (I should have asked before rushing to buy). A hard lesson has been learned.

EDIT: I sent them an email to stop shipping the products, and plan to cancel the order.

EDIT 2: I'll just have to accept the fact that I paid a huge amount of money and deal with it. I should be happy that I'm getting this, right? I don't care about the money.

@useafo

Do you have an old PE4L laying around?

I have suggestions for nice mods you could do to make your second Dell adapter useful, if you like soldering and such?

I modded my secondary adapter so it now has:

• ON/OFF toggle switch,
  • 5V rail and a
  • Common 8-pin pinout

Now I can power my old spare PE4L adapter, charging my phone etc.

It's also useful for a general power supply for testing other electronics that uses 12v/5v, I just make an cable which plugs in the common 8-pin tail which fits my needs in that particular case.