EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Consider this before purchase

Tech Inferno Fan>> I recommend a slightly pricier BPlus PE4C V3.0 over any EXP GDC product as it has no Gen2 expresscard signalling issues when tested on my Dell E6440. The EXP GDC V6 does glitch occasionally with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" with the manufacturer unwilling to supply an updated Beast product for review. I'm therefore assuming the problem isn't corrected in the newer version.

11-Nov >> Note: Beast product not integrated into purchasing guide below as yet.

Comparison: EXP GDC Beast versus V7 (Ares) versus V6 -> Beast is the best!!

The "BEAST" edition being the newest unit being that integrates all the desirable features of V6 (excellent connector positions, USB connector) with the best of the V7 (150W DC jack, x2 link support) and adding a new honeycomb acylic enclosure option as well as a new secondary boot delay (CTD - presumably CLKRUN).

You'll note that Cloud is offering a Paypal purchase option in his aliexpress (English) store. These being the links of interest:

Ê×Ò³-ÊýÂ빤³¡-ÌÔ±¦Íø (Chinese customers or Yoybuy taobao agents)

hero cloud's store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling set game card,mini iphone memory card,card reader writer software and more on Aliexpress.com (English/ROW customers)

Comparison: EXP GDC V7 (Ares) versus V6

V7 has a 150W rated round DC socket, has a new NGFF.M2 (x2 2.0) adapter option and new enclosure options.

V6 has better positioned power connectors AND has the USB port, though USB port has been reported as being flakey. No rating on the round DC socket suggests it's good for 75W slot power.

Both use the same (BIG) 8pin jack for the DA-2 220W Dell AC adapter so will have no problems with either V6 or V7.

V6 is better for standalone EC/mPCIe use with the 220W Dell DA-2 without an enclosure as gives a tidier cabling layout. The 220W DA-2 can power up to a GTX760/670/680/970/980. A 229W GTX770 could be accomodated if prepared to undervolt/underclock with MSI Afterburner software to get full load stability.

V7 would be better if wanting to use say a smaller 150W AC adapter (GTX750Ti/660/970), use a NGFF.M2 PCIe slot, or want the new enclosure option.

Why US$83-shipped 0W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$50-shipped 0W EXP GDC V6? | Why US$134-shipped 220W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$99-shipped 220W EXP GDC V6?

Picture comparison: Download >> PE4CvsEXP

+ Tech Inferno Fan has found clean Gen2 signalling of the PE4C V2.1, whereas EXP GDC V6 has unreliable glitches

+ Has a PM4N socketted mPCIe option

+ BPlus have a history of delivering quality products to the DIY eGPU community.

+ Easier to purchase with quicker delivery

+ Has H1PA option -> can connect to a desktop PC to extend the slot

+ Has a x2 link option, though this is primary for users with 1st gen i-core or older systems. Intel locking down 2nd Gen i-core or newer systems to prevent that.

+ Has locking x16 slot

+ Support two delay switch (PCIe Reset Delay and CLKRUN) to avoid registration problems when booting

+ 0W BPlus offering includes the special PCIe power cable that the EXP GDC V6 0W package does not

Why EXP GDC V6/V7s better than PE4C V2.1?

+ 0W US$50 offering is far more affordable. Their a user sources their own ATX PSU to drive the adapter.

+ import tax free for some EU countries

+ Dell DA-2 native input cable -> Customer can buy the PSU locally in their own country -> corrected in PE4C 2.1. It too has a native DA-8 8-pin input.

+ Rubber protected (re-enforced) mPCIe/EC cable

+ Very good shape of adapter

+ V7 has a x2 2.0 NGFF.M2 PCIe connector option

+ V7 has very stylish enclosure options

Disadvantages:

- V6 had some quality issues: USB port power, faulty mPCIe/EC cables, PCI Reset Delay faulty on some samples

- logistics/delivery/purchase is more complex via Taobao agents like yoybuy

- No x2 link option where can combine EC+mPCIe or mPCIe+mPCIe (Series-5 1st gen i-core or older chipsets)

-No nasty surprises like crazy import taxes, unlike similar products!

IMPORTANT: When buying from Taobao agents such as Yoybuy, ask the agent for the original Taobao order number! This is needed when contacting Cloud if the item is damaged/faulty

NEWS

Packages

• EXP GDC BEAST w/o power supply: US$50-$53 (incl. shipping and ATX-cable): banggood Store
    - IMPORTANT: The 6-pin PCI-e power cable is nowincluded!
    - IMPORTANT: The ATX power cable is included

• EXP GDC BEAST w/o power supply: US$68 (64 + $2 + $2) (incl. shipping): Aliexpress Store
    - IMPORTANT: Don't forget to add the 6-pin PCI-e power cable
  • EXP GDC BEAST & V7 NGFF complete package (including 220W power supply and PCI-e cable): US$99 (incl. shipping): Yoybuy Store
    - IMPORTANT: (Optional) Don't forget to add the ATX power cable (if you intend to use GPU's higher rated than 220W)
    - IMPORTANT: When asked for extimated weight, use 2000g (2Kg)
    - IMPORTANT: 195W GTX680 would be the highest rated card to use with this 220W AC adapter. 229W GTX770 requires undervolting.
    - INFO: Sonek's post for images of complete package content.

Accessories

WARNING:

Some users had tried hooking up a regular PCIe 4-pin cable straight to the EXP GDC (8-pin/DA-2 power socket), this is very dangerous and will cause fire and harm/destroy your EXP GDC, GPU or System!!!

The DA-2 interface has reverse polarity compared to PCIe power interface which means you will be shorting 12V -> GND & GND -> 12V.

T2SIkYXhVaXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.gif8noG1wj.gif

Video Review

Donations for video?

Recommend to not donate to the author of the video as he suggests. Instead donate to any of the members who have been pivotal in delivering eGPU content: Tech Inferno Fan, kizwan, angerthosenear, jacobsson to name a few.

Metal enclosure for the new EXP GDC V7.0.

dxSBuee.png

• Thumbs Up 12

BPlus latest PE4C was given plenty of community input but the result, particularly the use of that crappy FFC cable :S, looks like a engineering experiment. I'd be embarrassed to run that on my desk, seriously?!

My first thought: "Hmm wonder how long it takes before it brakes"

The EXP GDC supercedes PE4L 2.1 as an overall better adapter for less price. Plenty good for the majority of x1 implementation done on this board. It is socketted on the adapter, rather than the mPCIe/EC host end. Nice freestanding x16 slot too. It has an innovative 220W fanless Dell DA-2 connection option that's powerful enough to run up to a GTX770! See nice summary athttp://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gp...ml#post9487051

Though latest EXP GDC V6 is the product to aim to get. It has a delay switch, a USB port and better cable placement. Though appears to have limited exposure to English customers:

http://www.cart100.com/Product/37090...xternal_PCI-E/

Plus' PE4H 2.4 remains an option if you need a socketed Gen1 solution for x1, x2 or x4 link widths, oh @Tech Inferno Fan found Gen2 works too, when using a PCIEMM060B cable and a AMD card. NVidia cards refuse to run a Gen2 link with that cable.

Did you personally try the EXP GDC? If so, then do you recommend it over Bplus's products?

Did you personally try the EXP GDC? If so, then do you recommend it over Bplus's products?

Oh yeah dude, I have two of them at home. A review is coming soon when my enclosure is done!

Oh yeah dude, I have two of them at home. A review is coming soon when my enclosure is done!

Great... until now I didn't know someone who has yet this adapter. Im looking forward to your review! In our German forum we also saw this Chinese adapter... but we were not sure, if this offer is reliable.

Hey, how's the review going?

Slow and steady!

To much to do at work right now,the scores in my sign are done by the EXP GDC if you care to look,

EDIT: Just realized my expression "care to look" sounded 'douchy', it was not my intention =)

Checked the site, found the exp gdc v6 but still can't read Chinese... :) There is a picture with the power brick along with a list - it could be a "what's included in the package" list, but I'm not sure and I can't find any online picture translator that gives me a human readable output...

Checked the site, found the exp gdc v6 but still can't read Chinese... :) There is a picture with the power brick along with a list - it could be a "what's included in the package" list, but I'm not sure and I can't find any online picture translator that gives me a human readable output...

Hmm I got a power brick included last time I bought one from there. Also got the the pci-e power cable.

Hmm I got a power brick included last time I bought one from there. Also got the the pci-e power cable.

Great. Then I will go on and order one :)

Edit: Strange, it tells me the package will be 0,19 kg. Seems a bit lightweight for a power brick this size...

Nice! Remember not many here except me has tested this adapter. I like it and it works great for me but I can't guarantee it'll work for you.

No worries, we are all just "testing" an experimental adapter, aren't we? :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Great. Then I will go on and order one :)

Edit: Strange, it tells me the package will be 0,19 kg. Seems a bit lightweight for a power brick this size...

yes that sounds very light, the brick weighs ~1.35kg or so.

If the brick is included you will receive an extra invoice to cover the extra weight.

BPlus latest PE4C was given plenty of community input but the result, particularly the use of that crappy FFC cable :S, looks like a engineering experiment. I'd be embarrassed to run that on my desk, seriously?!

My first thought: "Hmm wonder how long it takes before it breaks"

The EXP GDC supercedes PE4L 2.1 as an overall better adapter for less price. Plenty good for the majority of x1 implementation done on this board. It is socketted on the adapter, rather than the mPCIe/EC host end. Nice freestanding x16 slot too. It has an innovative 220W fanless Dell DA-2 connection option that's powerful enough to run up to a GTX770! See nice summary athttp://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gp...ml#post9487051

Though latest EXP GDC V6 is the product to aim to get. It has a delay switch, a USB port and better cable placement. Though appears to have limited exposure to English customers:

http://www.cart100.com/Product/37090...xternal_PCI-E/

Plus' PE4H 2.4 remains an option if you need a socketed Gen1 solution for x1, x2 or x4 link widths, oh @Tech Inferno Fan found Gen2 works too, when using a PCIEMM060B cable and a AMD card. NVidia cards refuse to run a Gen2 link with that cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can the 220W fanless adapter really power up a GTX 770? I thought the GTX 770 was 230W?

GeForce GTX 770 | Specifications | GeForce

If not, then what is the most powerful GPU that can be powered by the EXP GDC?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can the 220W fanless adapter really power up a GTX 770? I thought the GTX 770 was 230W?

GeForce GTX 770 | Specifications | GeForce

If not, then what is the most powerful GPU that can be powered by the EXP GDC?

I'm currently using a exp gdc + gtx670 ~ 170W TDP. I'd imagine a gtx680 would work as well.

Hi so how is your review of GDC EXP Adapter?

I found your comments in feedback section on AliExpress under a sell named hero cloud's store.

What version did you bought???

From all the information i read there is a v6.0 right now and the seller have v5.8

In feedback there is a comment from other buyer that he get a v6.0

So the question is what he is really selling ??? v6.0 or v5.8 ???

PS sorry for spelling I'm not a good writer :D ( I.m from Poland)

These custom gaming laptops are way too expensive. I suggest you stay away from it unless you don't care about your money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Where's your review you've promised, @jacobsson? I'm really curious about your experiment with the EXP GDC you have.

It's on its way, I'm sorry for the delay!

I haven't had time for anything but work lately.

Hi so how is your review of GDC EXP Adapter?

I found your comments in feedback section on AliExpress under a sell named hero cloud's store.

What version did you bought???

From all the information i read there is a v6.0 right now and the seller have v5.8

In feedback there is a comment from other buyer that he get a v6.0

So the question is what he is really selling ??? v6.0 or v5.8 ???

PS sorry for spelling I'm not a good writer :D ( I.m from Poland)

He is selling the v5.8 by default (don't know why) but I asked for the v6.0 instead :)

@jacobsson You may be right on the GTX 680 since it's 195W. Question though is if the extra cost to bump up from a GTX 670 to GTX 680 is really worth it.

Judging by this photo (and its time of release), I'm guessing the 220W adapter can power the listed devices?

http://img01.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i1/20602407/T2VPB9XwVaXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

@jacobsson You may be right on the GTX 680 since it's 195W. Question though is if the extra cost to bump up from a GTX 670 to GTX 680 is really worth it.

Judging by this photo (and its time of release), I'm guessing the 220W adapter can power the listed devices?

http://img01.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i1/20602407/T2VPB9XwVaXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

Yes, you have the 6pin + 8pin <-- (6+2) so you can connect power to any card basically. The EXP GDC is also compatible with regular ATX PSU using a SWEX looking cable.

The GTX670 and GTX680 are basically the same architecture (both GK104, but GTX670 has fewer cuda cores) so I don't think you'd notice any bigger difference there.

You could always get a better card (e.g GTX770 230W) and lower its TDP to < 220W, but for unmodified clocks/TDP I'd say GTX680 would be the best card performance wise for the dell 220W adapter atm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm now ordering EXP GDC V6.0, but the seller says that power supply is not included because there are electromagnetic "things" that is not allowed for international shipping. What should I do?

Hmm that's interesting..

Either you do

1. The EXP GDC EC / EXP GDC mPCIe @Yoybuy, it says 220W on the image together with this text (I got my dell adapter included when I bought the v5.5 version here). Approx tot: $100 (with shipping cost).

or

2. Buying the EXP GDC from Aliexpress & dell adapter from eBay: Approx tot: $100 (including shipping costs)

or

3. Find a better deal on the dell adapter somewhere else and buy the EXP GDC from 1. or 2.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to write to the seller (Cloud Hero) and say that you must have the PCIe 6P + 8P cable when ordering the EXP GDC from Aliexpress!!! (include the link to previous image to clarify this).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: ~$100 for a modular eGPU incl PSU is a pretty nice price!

Hi Sonek!

Just checking up on your order, how did it go?

And did you order it from yoybuy for ~$100 total (incl PSU)?

It is important that we help the seller (Cloud Hero) improve the shopping experience, therefore I'd like to hear as much feedback as possible regarding ordering.

Hi Sonek!

Just checking up on your order, how did it go?

And did you order it from yoybuy for ~$100 total (incl PSU)?

It is important that we help the seller (Cloud Hero) improve the shopping experience, therefore I'd like to hear as much feedback as possible regarding ordering.

Hi Jacobsson!

Yes, I did order the ~$100 package ($93 to be exact). Had a few rounds of chat with "Flora" to clear what is included - just to make sure that psu and 6pin power cable is included. Because there are only Chinese annotations on the pictures, this was a bit tricky. One suggestion based on this: please ask him/her/them to make a set of "marketing pictures" with English text... Everything is pictured fine, I just can't understand a word :)

Order shipped 6 days ago, I just have to wait around 3 more weeks... :) I will report back as soon as I get the package!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Jacobsson!

Yes, I did order the ~$100 package ($93 to be exact). Had a few rounds of chat with "Flora" to clear what is included - just to make sure that psu and 6pin power cable is included. Because there are only Chinese annotations on the pictures, this was a bit tricky. One suggestion based on this: please ask him/her/them to make a set of "marketing pictures" with English text... Everything is pictured fine, I just can't understand a word :)

Order shipped 6 days ago, I just have to wait around 3 more weeks... :) I will report back as soon as I get the package!

So you cleared that up, that's great!

Then you'll receive the same stuff as I did in a custom paper box (EXP GDC logo print) including:

• Dell PSU
  • EXP GDC
  • PCIe 6-pin special power cable
  • ATX special power cable
  • EC/mPCIe -cable.

$96 is a bargain :P

This is the item/link you bought from right?

Successfully ordered the product from yoybuy, along with pcie cable and standalone power supply for less than $90. Now I'll wait for it to arrive.

This is the item/link you bought from? (that should include the PSU)