EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Sorry by run better, meant the couple times its crashed when using 7s its seems to have recovered (doesnt crash complete just lag's out for a second the comes back).  Though that could just be random as I havn't found any patterns to explain the cause.

I'll try giving the cable a wiggle next time.

Not Afterburner but Zotac's Firestorm does the same thing.  I'll drop it down to 80% and give her a try.

Also should not, just played an hours worth of Star Citizen no problem.  I was sure that game would crap out the card.

Edit:
Tried War Thunder again at both 80% and 110%, getting 60-110 fps at med graphics.  Both times it blacked out (still could hear audio feed, not just a loop) for a minute then would come back and I could keep playing.  Then about 2 minutes later it gave out completely, no video, and an audio loop.  Had to do a hard restart then.

Edit 2:

I think I may have found the solution.  I have the card overclocked and I put on the Vsync on War Thunder and played a couple games with no issues.  Going to tinker with it more, but I think I may have just been stressing it out.

Edited by spartan463
Results

Hi all, thanks for the great info on setting up my EXP GDC PCIe V8.0.  It's on order, but I thought I'd check in and see if anyone had any precautions or sees any issue with my setup:

I have a Lenovo Y570 (i7 2630QM, 8GB, Win10).  No issue removing my PCIe Wireless card as it'll become a stationary box where I can use a cable ethernet connection to my router.  I plan to purchase a GTX 770 or 680 2GB.  It looks like on the resale market I can get a 770 for a little less and by most reports, it performs a little better.  I'll be connecting to my TV via HDMI and will disable my laptop screen (it's actually already smashed).  I'm not looking for high end performance--just good enough to play Civ VI with decent video settings and good performance (which the onboard GT 555M isn't good enough to provide).  Hoping this affordable option can meet my needs.

Can I assume this setup will work fine?  Anything I need to prepare for?  I have an ATX power supply available.  

- is it an issue that the graphics card is PCI x3 and the EXP GDC is X16?

Thanks again!

Edited by choraltrickster

@choraltrickster

To address your concerns; your chosen hardware should be good enough (though I would push for a GTX 9XX series card, but if you got a price you cant resist then go for it), as for the PCIe concerns, it matters not what PCIe version your laptop is and your chosen eGPU is, which ever card you use would just operate at PCIe 2.0 at 1x speed. Using high textures would impact frames in triple A games so look out for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2014/4/30 at 5:24 PM, useafo said:

Successfully ordered the product from yoybuy, along with pcie cable and standalone power supply for less than $90. Now I'll wait for it to arrive.

I’m a fan of YOYBUY and have bought lots of electronic devices from Taobao and Tmall through YOYBUY. Recently I stumbled upon another Taobao agent called SUPERBUY whose official site says it charge 0 service fee, don’t know how about their service quality. Anyone who have used it can set out your ideas… 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Please help me. I tried to figure it out while surfing the forum but couldn't get it done on my own.

This is the situation:

1. I have an Exp GDC v8 + MSI GTX970 + Lenovo v370 (i7 QM2630)

2. All is working fine, but only on pcie v1.1 (as gpu-z shows me). Still HWInfo shows me that my pcie is 1.2 and that max speed is 5Gb/s but at the moment it uses only 2.5 Gb/s

3. I know that some people are changing pcie 1.1 to 1.2 (Opt), but I can't figure out what doesn this Opt means. In BIOS I don't have any settings for pcie generation.

Please help me. It this a problem with my Exp GDC or is my laptop limited to 1.1? How to make it work on 1.2 at 5gb/s?

Best regards!!!

Edited by myth69

On 2/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, myth69 said:

2. All is working fine, but only on pcie v1.1 (as gpu-z shows me). Still HWInfo shows me that my pcie is 1.2 and that max speed is 5Gb/s but at the moment it uses only 2.5 Gb/s

3. I know that some people are changing pcie 1.1 to 1.2 (Opt), but I can't figure out what doesn this Opt means. In BIOS I don't have any settings for pcie generation.

2. The card only runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds when it has something to do.

3. You don't need to think about Optimus if the card already works as you want it to work. be it on internal or external monitor.

Hey Spartan, not sure if anyone sufficiently answered your question but I can tell you that the GTX 970 droping out like you describe is due to your 470w power supply.

Unoverclocked you'd want a minimum of 550w, overclocked you want 750w-850w

4 hours ago, grayson72 said:

Hey Spartan, not sure if anyone sufficiently answered your question but I can tell you that the GTX 970 droping out like you describe is due to your 470w power supply.

Unoverclocked you'd want a minimum of 550w, overclocked you want 750w-850w

Thanks Grayson,

Thats something I considered though I figured due to the fact the power supply was only running the video card it wouldn't need the full 550w.  As well I tested it on my brothers desktop which is running 375w supply and it ran fine for 2 hours of use.  It's at that point I ruled out the power supply.

@grayson72

Stated power needs on NVIDIA site for a card is the power needed for the entire system, not just the card, so his power supply should be adequate.

@spartan463

You should not rule out your PSU just yet, see if your brother is willing to lend you his PSU to run the card in your eGPU setup. if you use his 375W PSU and it runs fine for however long then maybe your PSU (on your current eGPU build) might be going bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

1st: sry for my english^^

I have a ASUS G73JH Laptop and the EXP GDC Beast v 8.0 with Lenovo Power Adapter (220 Volt)

i try to use a Radeon R9 270x Card with the Beast

After I've assembled everything - I connected my laptop but iam stucked  on boot - the fan of the radeon spins - i have a black screen on my laptop

so i tryed to change the PTD Mode - but my Laptop still dont want to boot.

Can someone suggest a solution

I have the extact same setup, but with Nvidia 780 GTX card have the same issue, however for me after awhile within windows the screen goes in save mode while I can still hear system running. When starting game I get same issue as DannielTorres.

I already installed BIOS version A17, A16 & I am now on A18.

I also tried to play around with DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 forcing the port to run on 5GB, but with no luck.

I also installed the latest Nvidia drivers, last release is from April. Also reinstalled the OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit with no luck. I have the same issue in Windows 7 64bit.

I safe mode bytheway it will stay on in windows without any issues, I also if I do not isntall the Nvidia drivers everything will keep running, but the moment I install the drivers 10 15 minutes later the screen goes in standby mode.

Does anybody have any Ideas?

Kind Regards,

Edited by RoninTT

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2015 at 3:24 PM, andrei.tuduran said:

Hi,

Does anyone bought the V8 version? I'm planning to make a build for my Dell Precision M4500. 

CPU : i7-720QM @ 1.6 ghz

dGPU : nVidia Quadro FX 880M

For now I have a Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB and a DELL DA-2 220W powerbrick. 

Looking for a EXP GDC Beast V8 with Expresscard version. 

Have a great week!

For getting best answer for your question i suggest you to post your statement on dell official forum. For more assistant support check Dell Precision M4500 Manual

20 hours ago, juoioi said:

For getting best answer for your question i suggest you to post your statement on dell official forum. For more assistant support check Dell Precision M4500 Manual

>generic response to a post from almost 2 years ago

Are you a bot or something?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 3:16 AM, Ragnar66 said:

Hello

1st: sry for my english^^

I have a ASUS G73JH Laptop and the EXP GDC Beast v 8.0 with Lenovo Power Adapter (220 Volt)

i try to use a Radeon R9 270x Card with the Beast

After I've assembled everything - I connected my laptop but iam stucked  on boot - the fan of the radeon spins - i have a black screen on my laptop

so i tryed to change the PTD Mode - but my Laptop still dont want to boot.

Can someone suggest a solution

Does the particular R9 270x that you're using have a UEFI BIOS?

If it doesn't it can cause some issues with certain notebooks. If your system happens to be one of these, you'll have to enable legacy support in your BIOS to get your system to boot. Then I'd suggest flashing a UEFI BIOS to that card and it shouldn't cause any more issues.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have a weird problem that my exp gdc beast 8.4 doesn't work unless a have 2gb ram stick in either of my two ram slots, doesn't matter how many rams in the other slot.

my laptop:

hp probook 4540s

8gb ddr3 1600 ram

win 10 64bit

core i7-3630qm

@namerder7

Yes this is a known issue of the eGPU setup, You require a software called setup 1.3 to fix this issue (yes it will cost you). Its something to do with how the system allocated system resources. Something you can try in the mean time with all your RAM is hotswapping the eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, overcoming one hurdle at a time trying to configure my system:

EXP GDC beast

Lenovo Y570, 2.0Ghz, 8GB RAM

GTX 770 2GB (powered by a 480ATX powering only the eGPU via EXP GDC)

I've overcome Bios problems, black screen boot, eGPU power shortage, Windows error codes 12 & 43 on the eGPU.  I have installed eGPU setup 1.35 and can now get the machine to boot, recognizing the eGPU and displaying to my external TV.  Device Manager has the iGPU disabled and the eGPU working properly with updated drivers.  DirectX drivers are also up to date.  But it seems I may have a Direct X problem.  I'm trying to run Civ V and VI and with both games, I am able to start the game using the eGPU.  The games will run until I create a new game and it begins to load, then I either get a black screen crash, or occasionally a notification: FGXRenderer11:Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure

This seems to be the same time my iGPU would switch to the dGPU (555 M) but it is currently not installed and doesn't appear in my Device Manager menu.  So is my problem a DirectX issue?  Or a hardware config problem?  

I can use GPU-Z to change Bus Interface to v2.0.  

I'm sorry I'm really short on knowledge around these issues, but I'm getting closer.  I really appreciate any help you can offer.  Thanks!

Lenovo Y570 
   Intel Core i7 (2nd Gen) 2630QM / 2 GHz
   8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333
   iGPU Intel HD 3000 (installed, disabled)
   dGPU GeForce GT 555M (inactive)
Windows 10 Pro
EXP GDC 8.x via mPCIe (WiLan)
   eGPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX770oc 2gb; ATX 480w
   Vizio M470VT 47″ HDTV

Stability Problem

After much tweaking (flash bios, replace PSU, disable dGPU, acquire eGPU Setup 1.35) I have overcome boot hangs and errors 12 & 43.  I can now boot to Windows with my eGPU “working properly”.  But it is unstable.  I can run the render in CPU-Z and can start Civ V and VI (my only two games) with success.  Both games startup and I can navigate the menus and load or create a new game, but both games crash at the moment the screen would switch from ‘loading’ to the onset of the actual gameplay (they run fine, but with poor performance, with the iGPU).  I have found that if I change my ingame video settings to the absolute lowest and lower my resolution to 1024×768 that I can sometimes successfully enter gameplay and maybe play one or two turns before the system crashes.  I have had four different outcomes with this crash;

– black screen and freezes (usually this one)
– black screen but system stabilizes on main display and reports FGXRenderer11:Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure
– black screen and app restarts
– black screen and system restarts

Attempted fixes:
I have updated DirectX and installed the latest nVidia drivers.
I have slowed my eGPU to 80% using MSI Afterburner
I have given the eGPU PSU its own power outlet
I have set my eGPU to Gen1 via Setup 1.35
I have reduced my PCI bus from 2 to 1.1

Given that I’m able to get to windows with my eGPU “working properly” without errors 12 and 43, does that eliminate the possibility that:
   – a DSDT override could be the fix?  (I attempted it but found it too difficult)
   – continued adjustments to my eGPU Setup could solve the problem?

What’s my next move?  I’m not to the point where I’ll replace/shield/make a new PCIe_HDMI cable though I’ll get there eventually.

Are there any clues that anyone could glean from:
   – the point in those games where the crash is occurring and the error displayed?
   – the performance log from CPU-Z

Anything you can offer to determine which of the following is the problem or where I should go next is hugely appreciated!  This stuff is really way over my head, but I’m determined to get it to work!  Is it:

– drivers/software (DirectX)
OR
– configuration (Bios; Setup 1.35; DSDT; Windows)
OR
– hardware (power, cabling, failed components)

My next plan is to try and:
   – roll back my eGPU driver to the one that @xRay got to work
   – see if I can run 3DMark
   – install some free 3D game from Steam

If anyone can suggest other benchmark/diagnostic software or a free Steam game that might be good for testing, please do.

Thanks so much for your help!  Frustrated but determined…

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2. 2. 2018 at 5:05 PM, Dx00009 said:

Hi guys, 

My question is do i need to disable intigrated graphics card. 

I have lenovo y510p +Gdc beast v8.0+gtx 1080(asus)+cooler master 750 watt psu. 

I setup everything but i got code 43 error. 

Please help. 

Error 43 can be solved using the eGPU setup 1.3x https://***********/egpu-setup-13x/

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...