EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

On 1/25/2017 at 4:34 AM, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Hmm strange, if your setup is working somewhat and you don't want to mess with it then leave it, if you want to tinker a bit here is what I would do since something seems off with the sleep option. Sleep option seems to require some sort of GPU either integrated or dedicated; if when you uninstall the dedicated GPU drivers and the sleep option goes away it would be that you do not have an integrated GPU installed. (I am assuming you have Intel) Go to intel drivers site and see what drivers there are (HD XXXX graphics drivers that is) and install it, to know if it has installed properly there should be an option for intel graphics somewhere about on your system. Once this is good (you have integrated graphics running) uninstall all GPU drivers (not the Intel graphics though) and repeat the hotswap process and see what happens.

That last thing you state is about the GPU's fighting for PCIe bandwidth, if you right click and view properties on either of them you would see error 12. Try what I mentioned above and see if it resolves the error 12, if not we message back.

P.S. Its always useful to include your full system specs, it makes troubleshooting easier.

Thanks Mr_Western for the reply, here is my laptop specs:

Asus A42Jv

Intel i5 450M 2.4Ghz

8Gb ddr3 ram Kingston

120GB Kinsgton SSDnow

Intel HD Graphics (1st Gpu)

Nvidia GT 335M (Secondary Gpu)

Link : http://www.laptopspec.net/2010/05/asus-a42jv-vx040d-14-inch-laptop-with-core-i5-450m-geforce-gt-335m/

specs.jpg

UPDATE1:

Untitled-1.jpg

UPDATE2:

Now my laptop can sleep and the dedicated gpu (gt335M) disabled completely. Right now I just want my laptop display to use the external gpu (gtx550ti). Does anyone can suggest how to do this. Thanks in advance.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by tiubxray
update

Hello, I've been having a weird issue with my EXP GDC BEAST (Expresscard), some GPUs for whatever reason, don't quite work.

So far:

8600GT: Works - Code 12

9600GT: Doesn't work

HD 6750: Works - Code 12

GTX 750 Ti: Doesn't work

GTX 680: Doesn't work

When I say doesn't work, it doesn't detect under windows and the fans spin up to the max RPM.

Also, I used two methods of doing the DSDT Override (not using setup 1.30) and none of them worked, I still have the Code 12 error for whatever reason. (Yes I have large memory enabled and Test mode).

I got someone who has set it up once for his laptop troubleshoot it with me and no luck yet.

HP Elitebook 8570P | Core i7 3610QM | 8GB DDR3 (4x2) | 192GB Toshiba SSD | Intel HD 4000 | Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

16357905_1367808716572718_978465036_o.png

@tiubxray

Are you sure your laptop GPU is properly disabled, if you are seeing it in your device manager it is not disabled properly. However, to display to your external screen, press (windows key + P) and select external monitor; or you can go into NVIDIA control panel and select the external display.

On 1/30/2017 at 5:04 AM, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Are you sure your laptop GPU is properly disabled, if you are seeing it in your device manager it is not disabled properly. However, to display to your external screen, press (windows key + P) and select external monitor; or you can go into NVIDIA control panel and select the external display.

Yes, the dGpu disabled completely. The gtx550ti works well via external monitor, but I want to use laptop display as primary display. Any suggestions?

Thanks Mr_Western for the reply.

@tiubxray

Sadly you may not be able to use your internal screen. You need NVIDIA OPTIMUS to do this and it is only supported on what I believe to be GTX 6XX cards and up. Maybe there is some possible work around, but the proper way to do it is via OPTIMUS (that's how laptops with NVIDIA GPU's can display on both its internal and external monitors).

3 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Sadly you may not be able to use your internal screen. You need NVIDIA OPTIMUS to do this and it is only supported on what I believe to be GTX 6XX cards and up. Maybe there is some possible work around, but the proper way to do it is via OPTIMUS (that's how laptops with NVIDIA GPU's can display on both its internal and external monitors).

Oh, that is right. My laptop doesn't support Nvidia Optimus. :23_002:

So, had to go with external monitor setup. 

Thanks for the reply Mr_Western, really appreciate your help all this time. :32_002:

Is there a way to avoid having to hotplug after every reboot? My EXP GDC is only detected if i boot first with a wifi card in, sleep, swap the wifi for the exp gdc and then resume the system. Or if i boot with wifi card in, load Setup 1.x, then with the system still on, carefully swap the wifi over to the exp gdc.

It's pretty tedious, and sometimes windows throws a error and the drivers need re-installing, which then requires a reboot and another hotplug. Is there some way I can stop having to do this? Cheers!

@tiubxray

Its not necessarily the laptop but the GPU that would have to support the OPTIMUS. If ever in the future you upgrade your eGPU to something like a GTX750ti or something like that, you would be able to use your internal laptop screen.

Note: Using internal screens drops the performance, go with a GPU with about 4GB of VRAM (if you are ever looking to upgrade) and using eGPU solution would have issues with DX12 and VULKAN games as the game leverages more CPU into the mix and requires more PCIe bandwidth (which on a 1x slot is very limited).

18 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Its not necessarily the laptop but the GPU that would have to support the OPTIMUS. If ever in the future you upgrade your eGPU to something like a GTX750ti or something like that, you would be able to use your internal laptop screen.

Note: Using internal screens drops the performance, go with a GPU with about 4GB of VRAM (if you are ever looking to upgrade) and using eGPU solution would have issues with DX12 and VULKAN games as the game leverages more CPU into the mix and requires more PCIe bandwidth (which on a 1x slot is very limited).

Oh, I have one msi gtx 760 oc gaming. Is that card can be use to display from my laptop screen?

Right now the card (gtx760) is in my main pc system.

Update:

I put gtx760 to replace the gtx550ti, and still cannot view via laptop display. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Edited by tiubxray

@tiubxray

Sorry for putting you in a tail spin, but I should have done my research before informing you. The gt 500m series and up, and the the GTX 800m series and up and the GTX 900, 1000 series and up support OPTIMUS . For more information check out NVIDIA official list of OPTIMUS supported cards.

P.S. I initially though it was the GTX 600 and up that supported the OPTIMUS, but I was wrong, so that means your GTX 760 does not support OPTIMUS, was again sorry for putting you in a tail spin.

13 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Sorry for putting you in a tail spin, but I should have done my research before informing you. The gt 500m series and up, and the the GTX 800m series and up and the GTX 900, 1000 series and up support OPTIMUS . For more information check out NVIDIA official list of OPTIMUS supported cards.

P.S. I initially though it was the GTX 600 and up that supported the OPTIMUS, but I was wrong, so that means your GTX 760 does not support OPTIMUS, was again sorry for putting you in a tail spin.

Ahhh. It's ok. Thanks a lot Mr_Western for this info.

I am very grateful to you to do this research for sake to help me. :04:

15 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

760 is a Kepler card, and supports Optimus. The 550Ti is Fermi, and supports Optimus as well.

Anything Fermi and later will have Optimus support. That's GTS 450 and higher.

@Arbystrider

The information I quoted was straight from NVIDIA site, check it out here . Mind you cards that run the GTX XXXm (the "M" is what I am looking at here) had OPTIMUS supported from the GTX 500m series and up. The GTS XXX cards was not quoted in that list but I did read somewhere that some of them supported it.

@Arbystrider

Mind posting a link to show this (for my knowledge), I know that Kepler chips was getting DX12 support but OPTIMUS is another thing. For cards between the GTX 500 series and the GTX 800 series, only the mobile versions support OPTIMUS. Only until the GTX 900 series when the full fat desktop GPU's was being put into laptop that both variants had to support OPTIMUS, and now that the GTX 1000 series no longer has a mobile variant, it to has to support OPTIMUS natively. But please enlighten me with a link or two.

@Draqen

If you try to hot swap back from your GPU to your wifi card, the computer would give errors. Setup 1. suppose to alleviate this problem of hotswapping, you might have to find ****** and talk to him about it.

3 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

For cards between the GTX 500 series and the GTX 800 series, only the mobile versions support OPTIMUS

The card or whether it's a mobile variant or not doesn't matter. The core inside does. The mobile variants of each "card" share the same core as some desktop card. For instance, a GTX675MX is fundamentally the same as a GTX680, as they share the same GK104 core, albeit with some CUDA cores and other compute units disabled, as well as drastic cuts in clock speeds to keep within thermal envelopes. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_600_series.

The "desktop-equivalent" GTX980 and 10-series cards you see nowadays is nothing more than the exact same thing, except the core chips don't have any disabled CUDA cores or whatever as compared to their desktop "equivalents". However they don't perform as well as they do because boost clocks still need to be reduced in most cases to keep within thermal limits.

I myself have (had) a GTX580 operate on internal display via Optimus. See also #4: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6275-pre-purchase-faq/, and I'm sure you'll find many others (both on here and NBR) who have had Optimus working on cards from the GTS450 onwards.

The reason you don't see GTX550Ti and such listed as Optimus-capable on their website is that makes no sense for Nvidya to advertise Optimus capability for their desktop cards, because few people care about Optimus on desktop cards.

And that few people is us.

Edited by Arbystrider

On 2/4/2017 at 2:16 PM, Arbystrider said:

The card or whether it's a mobile variant or not doesn't matter. The core inside does. The mobile variants of each "card" share the same core as some desktop card. For instance, a GTX675MX is fundamentally the same as a GTX680, as they share the same GK104 core, albeit with some CUDA cores and other compute units disabled, as well as drastic cuts in clock speeds to keep within thermal envelopes. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_600_series.

The "desktop-equivalent" GTX980 and 10-series cards you see nowadays is nothing more than the exact same thing, except the core chips don't have any disabled CUDA cores or whatever as compared to their desktop "equivalents". However they don't perform as well as they do because boost clocks still need to be reduced in most cases to keep within thermal limits.

I myself have (had) a GTX580 operate on internal display via Optimus. See also #4: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6275-pre-purchase-faq/, and I'm sure you'll find many others (both on here and NBR) who have had Optimus working on cards from the GTS450 onwards.

The reason you don't see GTX550Ti and such listed as Optimus-capable on their website is that makes no sense for Nvidya to advertise Optimus capability for their desktop cards, because few people care about Optimus on desktop cards.

And that few people is us.

So, if Arbystrider can provide solutions or methods to make my gtx550ti or gtx760 to work with my internal laptop display (Asus A42jv) trough Exp Gdc Beast, I will really appreciate it very much.....:32_002: 

On 2/3/2017 at 10:47 PM, Mr_Western said:

If you try to hot swap back from your GPU to your wifi card, the computer would give errors. Setup 1. suppose to alleviate this problem of hotswapping, you might have to find ****** and talk to him about it.

hmmm it seems that the name I had stated in this reply got censored, maybe you have to check someone else about using setup 1.x

Hello All,

I've recently purchased the Beast v8.4d and a Zotac GTX 970.

I'm using my old 475w PSU to power this set up, which is all hooked up to a Lenovo Y580 (i7-3630QM).

This was very much a plug and play, and I did notice lots of improvements in my graphics and frames.  However I am experiencing an issue where the 970 will suddenly give out.  This can be both under load or idle, and at random times between 10 mins and 2-3 hours of running.  Some times I loose my external monitor and my intel graphics will kick in, or the computer will just freeze up at a black screen, or a blue screen with the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR.

The GPU seems to run better when I move it over to the 7s PTD but still has the issue at times.

I had a gpu-z log running during one of the crash's and it just show the load of the graphics suddenly drop to 0, as well as the clock speed spike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spartan-463

Also should note, I tested the card in a different desktop computer and it ran fine for 2 hours under load.

Edited by spartan463

2 hours ago, spartan463 said:

The GPU seems to run better when I move it over to the 7s PTD but still has the issue at times.

Can you explain what you mean by "run better"?

My card gives out randomly at times. I've figured that it's because of signal integrity issues because the EXP GDC uses a socketed connection, since it comes back if I wiggle the cable.