EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hi everyone. May I know what is the function of 12v Dc Power In for Exp Gdc Beast 8.0. I try searching around and I couldn't find definite answer. Is it possible to put a normal 12v laptop power brick to this interface without put a Pc PSU?

Hope anyone can answer my question. Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, tiubxray said:

Hi everyone. May I know what is the function of 12v Dc Power In for Exp Gdc Beast 8.0. I try searching around and I couldn't find definite answer. Is it possible to put a normal 12v laptop power brick to this interface without put a Pc PSU?

Hope anyone can answer my question. Thanks in advance.

It's mainly for powering cards that get their power exclusively from the PCIe slot, like low power cards without 6P or 8P power inputs. If you use the barrel jack then there will not be any power present on the 6P output connector.

Another thing I noticed, at least on my v8.4d, is that the USB port only has power when using the barrel jack. If I move the switch to "ATX" and use the 8P power input, then there is no power on the USB port.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Plastixx said:

It's mainly for powering cards that get their power exclusively from the PCIe slot, like low power cards without 6P or 8P power inputs. If you use the barrel jack then there will not be any power present on the 6P output connector.

Another thing I noticed, at least on my v8.4d, is that the USB port only has power when using the barrel jack. If I move the switch to "ATX" and use the 8P power input, then there is no power on the USB port.

I already ordered V8.0 Exp Gdc Beast and I want to paired with Asus GTX 550 Ti and use Asus A42Jv Notebook. Please recommend which power input should I choose eg Dell D220 200w power brick or a normal PSU. Sorry for my bad English. Thanks again for answering my question. Thumbs up.

Just now, tiubxray said:

I already ordered V8.0 Exp Gdc Beast and I want to paired with Asus GTX 550 Ti and use Asus A42Jv Notebook. Please recommend which power input should I choose eg Dell D220 200w power brick or a normal PSU. Sorry for my bad English. Thanks again for answering my question. Thumbs up.

The dell supply should be more than adequate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi. i got EXP GDC v8 / mPCIe cable and the Asus Strix 970 with the 8 pin Dell charger and wish to connect it to my Dell E6440 dgpu Radeon 8690 laptop (the laptop doesn't not have the Expresscard Slot will retrofit it and get the cable on a later date)  I managed to get the GPU to work perfectly on my Clevo P170EM plug and play through the mPCIE slot under the keyboard grate performance  was swiching to x2 in gpuz. So the problem is not with the Dock or the Graphics card its with the Dell E6440. The Dell E6440  detects the the graphics card but dose not allow me to install the drivers gives me Error Code 18 . Please if any one can give me some guidance on how i can get the Dell E6440 to work with the 970 through the mPCIE. 

On 8. 1. 2017 at 11:16 PM, Grantek said:

Hi. i got EXP GDC v8 / mPCIe cable and the Asus Strix 970 with the 8 pin Dell charger and wish to connect it to my Dell E6440 dgpu Radeon 8690 laptop (the laptop doesn't not have the Expresscard Slot will retrofit it and get the cable on a later date)  I managed to get the GPU to work perfectly on my Clevo P170EM plug and play through the mPCIE slot under the keyboard grate performance  was swiching to x2 in gpuz. So the problem is not with the Dock or the Graphics card its with the Dell E6440. The Dell E6440  detects the the graphics card but dose not allow me to install the drivers gives me Error Code 18 . Please if any one can give me some guidance on how i can get the Dell E6440 to work with the 970 through the mPCIE. 

- Use DDU to clean up any installed Nvidia drivers, "Clean and restart" option.

- After restart, download drivers from Nvidia and install. Restart

- Should be working at this point

Hi all,

GDC arrived EXP 8
the beginning is not the best ...
Bench tests:
Laptop : Dell Precision M4800 (Nvidia Quadro K2100m) 
EGPU: Nvidia 1080 GPU
-----------------------------------------------
At the first start I noticed that the external GPU power up when  laptop boot.
1) First start win7(x64) recognize the adapter and requires a reboot
2) Among the devices, it appears a new standard VGA
3) installing latest NVIDIA (custom drivers: only drivers and nothing else) and reboot
4) As soon as Windows starts up the speed of the 1080 sink goes to the max and then the GPU goes under protection. Windows continues to operate regularly, but in devices tab appears the warning yellow point on 1080 and writes it has been disabled because of a problem.

Now I have to check the switch present on the slot to see if it solves the problem.

Anyone had the same problems?

Thanks

1080 error.JPG

1080.jpeg

Edited by Skanner

Hi everyone.

I need your help on my EXP GDC Beast V8.4d.

My egpu arrive yesterday and I try it out but seems like it not working because it stuck at windows loading screen (Windows 7 64bit). It stuck when the four color dot try to combine.

Before I setup my egpu, I've already uninstall my nvidia gt335m drivers by using DDU software. So just leaving my Intel HD graphic display only.

My laptop Asus A42jv

My gpu that I want to install as external gpu GTX550ti

I use both Dell power brick 220w adapter and 550w atx power supply.

Both of them give the same result.

Please anyone help me to solve this. Thanks in advance.

@tiubxray

Try hot swaping the GPU into the system:

Directions for hotswaping:

-Start your laptop as normal with your wifi card in the system

-Once the laptop has started and within windows, put the laptop to sleep

-Once the laptop is asleep, remove the wifi-card and put in the mCPIe cable into the slot

-Once you are assured everything is plugged in correctly wake the laptop

-If the laptop starts and the GPU coughs into live you are good; if you get a black screen something is not right

Hi all, I recently purchased the EXP GDC Beast V8.4d and it's been a headache trying to get it to function.

It's not detected unless it is hotplugged, it is recognized in the device manager with error code 12. I tried the DSDT override but now the system locks up as soon as the GPU is detected.

If I buy the Setup 1.x software will it fix these issues? Or will I still have to hotplug it too every time the laptop is rebooted? Thanks.

Edited by Draqen

13 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@tiubxray

Try hot swaping the GPU into the system:

Directions for hotswaping:

-Start your laptop as normal with your wifi card in the system

-Once the laptop has started and within windows, put the laptop to sleep

-Once the laptop is asleep, remove the wifi-card and put in the mCPIe cable into the slot

-Once you are assured everything is plugged in correctly wake the laptop

-If the laptop starts and the GPU coughs into live you are good; if you get a black screen something is not right

Thanks @Mr_Western fot the reply.

The thing is my laptop cannot go sleep state after I remove the dedicated gpu (GT335M) drivers . For the laptop to sleep it require to install the gt335m drivers which is contradict with the EXP GDC installation procedure. I've already search how to put my laptop to sleep but it's not avail if I still not install gt335m drivers.

The option left just the hibernate function which is still stuck at loading windows logo when waking up from hibernate.

Thanks for the reply.

UPDATE1:

As I follow Mr_Western instructions, I reinstalled my gt335m drivers and now my laptop able to sleep. And I do as Mr_Western instructed and my system detected the gtx 550ti. Installed the drivers, and the reboot, and still stuck at windows loading logo.

UPDATE2:

After several trial and error, I successfully installed gtx 550 ti and make it work, somehow. But it has to be connected to external monitor. One more thing, after I restart my laptop, the whole display drivers was a mess. It cannot detect both of my gt335m and gtx 550ti. And there is exclamation mark on PCI Express root hub.

Edited by tiubxray
update

@tiubxray

Hmm strange, if your setup is working somewhat and you don't want to mess with it then leave it, if you want to tinker a bit here is what I would do since something seems off with the sleep option. Sleep option seems to require some sort of GPU either integrated or dedicated; if when you uninstall the dedicated GPU drivers and the sleep option goes away it would be that you do not have an integrated GPU installed. (I am assuming you have Intel) Go to intel drivers site and see what drivers there are (HD XXXX graphics drivers that is) and install it, to know if it has installed properly there should be an option for intel graphics somewhere about on your system. Once this is good (you have integrated graphics running) uninstall all GPU drivers (not the Intel graphics though) and repeat the hotswap process and see what happens.

That last thing you state is about the GPU's fighting for PCIe bandwidth, if you right click and view properties on either of them you would see error 12. Try what I mentioned above and see if it resolves the error 12, if not we message back.

P.S. Its always useful to include your full system specs, it makes troubleshooting easier.

Edited by Mr_Western