EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, Mr_Western said:

@Plastixx

I am using the latest drivers for my gtx 950 (which also covers the gtx 1050) and it works just as normal on the laptop display.

So I received my 1050 Ti and BEAST v8.4d. I'm getting error 12 and tried everything short of "that program".

My PC specs:

HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO 3D

i7-2860QM

16GB RAM

AMD 6850M

HM67 chipset

Modded BIOS F.1C (unlocked; not sure if whitelist removed or not?)

6850M disabled via unlocked BIOS.

My TOLUD is 2.5GB with 16GB of ram and 2GB with 2GB of RAM. I still get error 12 with only 2GB installed. I tried the DSDT override and while I was successful in creating the 36-bit space, it didn't help with the problem.

Any suggestions?

I'm in the same position as @Plastixx (bought Dell DA-2 in the end) also trying to run a 1050 Ti on BEAST v8.4d

HP 2560p

4GB RAM

i5-2450M

Booted into windows 10 after setting delay to 7s. Card recognised in device manager but error 12 :( 

I think I will have to bite the bullet and fork out for the program, will report back if it's been a success.

p.s. if anyone's in the UK you can get super cheap used DA-2 power supplies from ebay, bought mine for £8 inc postage. 

Edited by cunning_fridge
power supply

I have a problem with the new Radeon Drivers from 16.5 to 16.12.

My installation process is:
1. DDU to uninstall 16.3 (working driver)
2. Restart and install new driver.
3. New driver works.

The problem is:
1. The new driver works only on the external screen.
2. The laptop screen still has display, but not identifiable.
3. The laptop card is still recognized, but the laptop screen doesn't seem to respond.

@Plastixx

Error 12 means that there isn't enough space available for your PCIe device to work properly, when I got this issue, disabling my laptop GPU in the device manager helped. I saw you said that you disabled your laptop GPU via the BIOS, but can you check in your device manager and ensure it is properly disabled, make sure to view hidden devices and then look under the Display adapters nest. Also I am assuming you used DDU to remove the previous GPU drivers.

@cunning_fridge

Its not necessary to buy the software, error 12 means the you need to free up some resources that is currently utilizing the PCIe. Ensure your laptop GPU is disabled properly before continuing and ensure that your previous GPU drivers are properly removed.

@JediPartTime

Since you have mentioned Radeon I am assuming you are using an AMD card. As such AMD cards won't be able to display onto the laptop screen as NVIDIA GPU would allow for. This is because NVIDIA uses optimus to communicate with the CPU and would allow for rendered images via the GPU to be routed to the laptop screen.

@zeroonea

The cable used in the eGPU adapter (mPCIe to HDMI) uses its own special wiring, as such using a regular HDMI cable (to extend the length) would not work since the HDMI cables have wires that cross over each other (like twisted pairs in ethernet cables) and as such won't carry the signal to the correct terminal

scart_5.gif

46 minutes ago, Mr_Western said:

@Plastixx

Error 12 means that there isn't enough space available for your PCIe device to work properly, when I got this issue, disabling my laptop GPU in the device manager helped. I saw you said that you disabled your laptop GPU via the BIOS, but can you check in your device manager and ensure it is properly disabled, make sure to view hidden devices and then look under the Display adapters nest. Also I am assuming you used DDU to remove the previous GPU drivers.

Yes, cleaned the Intel and AMD drivers with DDU and then reinstalled the Intel driver before installing the eGPU.

The 6850M is definitely disabled. It normally resides on the PCI-e x16 port that's directly connected to the Sandy Bridge CPU. HWiNFO64 shows the x16 port as empty when I disable the dGPU in the BIOS. It also doesn't show in device manager even with "show hidden devices".

There are three PCI-e x1 ports; one for WiFi(replaced with eGPU), LAN, and USB 3.0 which are connected through the Intel PCH. I tried disabling the LAN and USB 3.0 ports to free up resources but it didn't make a difference. Now that I think about it, I didn't try disabling the x16 port in device manager. I can try that, but I doubt it will do anything.

EDIT: Disabled the x16 port. No luck.

Another thing; this is the first time I've messed with a desktop GPU in over 10 years. The last card I owned was Radeon 9600. I stumbled upon the subject of UEFI and GPU compatibility. My laptop was one of the very last from HP before they switched to UEFI (bought late 2011). Is this the root of my problem?

Edited by Plastixx

Hi guys, new to the forums i have read over the last few pages of this thread and also the trouble shooting guides that are around, and have tried numerous other websites for info so i figured i should try here: 

I bought the exp gdc 8.0 expresscard version, along with a 1050ti and a 500w psu, connected to an HP e2540p

I have connected everything as it should be, but for some reason my pc is not picking up the connection, its not automatically finding it, nor will a manual hardware scan work. The gpu is on and fully running along with a green light. I have made sure the expresscard slot is open in the bios, tried booting the the pc with egpu plugged in but not on, hitting f8 to stop windows from booting, turning epu on then going to windows, along with booting the gpu in sleep mode, and while the pc is booting itself. Still no luck on finding the egpu. I have disabled lan and updated my bios. I cant seem to figure out why its not picking up the card at all. I do not have another lap top handy to see if the wire works on another but i will try to do that somehow soon. If anyone could offer advice it would be much appreciated. Attached a few pics for reference. 

egpu 1.jpg

egpu 2.jpg

egpu 3.jpg

egpu 4.jpg

egpu 5.jpg

egpu 6.jpg

14 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@Mr_Western  Since you have mentioned Radeon I am assuming you are using an AMD card. As such AMD cards won't be able to display onto the laptop screen as NVIDIA GPU would allow for. This is because NVIDIA uses optimus to communicate with the CPU and would allow for rendered images via the GPU to be routed to the laptop screen.

Well but the 16.3 driver allows me to route the image to both screens. Like it has separate parts to communicate separately with each screen.

@zeroonea

Thanks for the research man, a lot of people is going to appreciate the time you spent figuring out how to make an HDMI extension (as the original one was too short imo)

@Plastixx

Check the steps I had used in my DIY guide I posted before and see if it helps:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5194-exp-gdc-beastares-v7v6-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=150916

There are specific steps I took on what I did to get rid of the error 12 message

@Joe Gonzo

Here is something you can try, once you are satisfied that all the other display drivers are gone (NOT INTEL GRAPHICS, KEEP THOSE) put your laptop to sleep and hot swap the GPU in, once you booted, manually download the drivers for you card from NVIDIA website and try running it. Two things can happen, it would install the driver or it will say your system isn't compatible (because the card isn't detected). This way you are sure it isn't Windows that is not playing around. 

FYI don't disable your LAN, that is your only means of internet and if that is disabled, windows won't be able to download any (basic) drivers for your card (as far as I know).

@Mr_Western thank you for the tips i will try that asap. my intel graphics are the only display driver i have so i will keep that as you mentioned and also re-enable my lan. 

*update: i tried hot swapping the gpu in while the pc was on sleep, one time it made my pc start to unsleep but blackscreened me, i unplugged while still in black screen and i heard the windows disconnect hardware noise (which is the first i have heard either a connect or disconnect noise from the expresscard..) Second time it didnt unsleep my pc so i did manually and was still black screened. I have tried to install the drivers from nvidia with it plugged it but it says System not compatible which i am hoping just means its not finding it right now.

Also sometimes the gpu powers fully on and sometimes it seems like its running very low, fans not fully powered on. I thought i had that problem fixed and was able to get it to full power on each time but at the moment i can only get low fan power.

Edited by Joe Gonzo

My laptop screen goes black screen, even I can't see it boot to BIOS. Anyone can help???

I've tried this:
uninstal igpu & dgpu with DDU
- set delay to max in exp gdc - still black screen

- sleep laptop and plug mpcie adaptor, weak laptop - still black screen
- pin22 method - can boot but vga not loaded in device manager

My spec:
laptop: acer e1-451g, amd A8 - 5550 ES
PSU: corsair vs 450
EGPU: exp gdc v.8 + GTX 1060 3GB

I try with another laptop (hp, i5, geforce), egpu works like plug and play. why my laptop can't do like that?

@vrian

Not all laptops would be the same, my compaq was plug and play but my dell was not. I am not sure how you did it, but you I don't think it is possible to put a laptop to sleep without the iGPU drivers installed. Reinstall your iGPU drivers and try the sleep method again. 

@Joe Gonzo

I was doing a bit of research on your laptop and it seems that if you disable certain things, it can render your expresscard slot disabled as well, such as USB (check this link out, its pertaining to your laptop). As far as I am concerned, I don't think you would need to disable anything (except for you laptop GPU) to get your expresscard slot to use the eGPU dock. My suggestion now that I have read that document which I linked is to re-enable everything you have disabled, boot into windows as normal and plug the device into the slot and wait a good 15 minutes; I got a problem with my compaq and eGPU where it had took a while to realize something else was in the mPCIe slot (which I had plugged into before I booted).

Oh and if you have another expresscard device try it and see if it works, and see if there are any drivers from HP pertaining to expresscard drivers

Edited by Mr_Western

20 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@Plastixx

Check the steps I had used in my DIY guide I posted before and see if it helps:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5194-exp-gdc-beastares-v7v6-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=150916

There are specific steps I took on what I did to get rid of the error 12 message

I figured it out... kind of. There's either something wrong with my Windows 7 install or Windows 7 itself. If I force Gen 1 then the error 12 goes away and I get code 43 (expected).

The reason I'm blaming Windows 7 is because I did a Windows 10 Pro install on another SSD and I don't get an error 12 at all. I get consistent code 43 without the need to force Gen 1.

Now I just need to decide whether to keep the GTX 1050 Ti and wait to see if there's ever a fix for the current driver mess, or sell it and get something else that works with the 372.70 driver like a 950 or 1060. The thought of getting a different card and never being able to update to new drivers doesn't appeal to me either though. If I wasn't so dead set on using my laptop display I would just get a "Red" card.

Edited by Plastixx

14 hours ago, vrian said:

My laptop screen goes black screen, even I can't see it boot to BIOS. Anyone can help???

I've tried this:
uninstal igpu & dgpu with DDU
- set delay to max in exp gdc - still black screen

- sleep laptop and plug mpcie adaptor, weak laptop - still black screen
- pin22 method - can boot but vga not loaded in device manager

My spec:
laptop: acer e1-451g, amd A8 - 5550 ES
PSU: corsair vs 450
EGPU: exp gdc v.8 + GTX 1060 3GB

I try with another laptop (hp, i5, geforce), egpu works like plug and play. why my laptop can't do like that?

Try to boot the pc without the WiFi card inserted,put the pc to sleep then insert the egpu cable.come out of sleep and see if the egpu is shown in device manager. If not restart the pc and see what happens.

4 hours ago, talclipse said:

Try to boot the pc without the WiFi card inserted,put the pc to sleep then insert the egpu cable.come out of sleep and see if the egpu is shown in device manager. If not restart the pc and see what happens.

Try to boot the pc without the WiFi card inserted,put the pc to sleep then insert the egpu cable.come out of sleep and my laptop come black screen :(

4 hours ago, vrian said:

Try to boot the pc without the WiFi card inserted,put the pc to sleep then insert the egpu cable.come out of sleep and my laptop come black screen :(

That's how my Toshiba did the first few times. Read https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10974-needing-some-helptoshiba-s55-with-beast-84d/

It was like my bios "learned" the cable and beast after about 6 or 7 swaps and combos.not saying it will help you,but it started out going black with just the cable from either a cold boot or a sleep then swap,and now it has no problem with it being inserted.maybe I got really lucky. 

Have you researched to see if your laptop is maybe whitelisted??

17 hours ago, vrian said:

That's how my Toshiba did the first few times. Read https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10974-needing-some-helptoshiba-s55-with-beast-84d/

It was like my bios "learned" the cable and beast after about 6 or 7 swaps and combos.not saying it will help you,but it started out going black with just the cable from either a cold boot or a sleep then swap,and now it has no problem with it being inserted.maybe I got really lucky. 

Have you researched to see if your laptop is maybe whitelisted??

3 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@vrian and @talclipse

Starting without the wifi card and then putting in the eGPU will create a black screen (even if you put the laptop to sleep). The BIOS needs to see the wifi card on boot in order for the whitelist to be circumvented.

Thats how i got mine working on my Toshiba s55.

• 2 weeks later...