EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hello everyone

i bought gdc express adapter from banggood and i have 750ti,300w psu for it. I have lenovo x220 laptop with 8gbram. This laptop seems like working like charm for most people but i cant run egpu on this

I mean i connected everything fine 

psu 24pin cable to 20pin thing came with adaptor

psu 4 pin to 4 pin came with adaptor

gpu to dock

gpu output to hdmi via monitor(both tried hdmi and vga)

no luck, both psu and gpu fans are starts to work when i press power , green led is up but i cant detect hardware anywhere. Using clover boot loader some people in this thread said use nvidia inject from clover bootloader options but that doesnt detect in bootloader. In windows hardware manager only shows hd3000.

if you try to connect egpu while system is up both psu and gpu ram goes crazy.

what should i do

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

resim

@paypaytr

Did you boot up with the GPU already attached? Also, did you try scanning for hardware changes in Device manager to see if it comes up?

Also which GPU dock is it, check in the bottom left corner to see which it is, because I have the latest version (beast 8.4d) and my light color is blue not green.

And one more thing, while you are in Device manager, click on view (top bar) and click on "show hidden devices", see what is under the display adapters now, there should be something other than hd 3000, take a screen shot and post it.

9 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@paypaytr

Did you boot up with the GPU already attached? Also, did you try scanning for hardware changes in Device manager to see if it comes up?

Also which GPU dock is it, check in the bottom left corner to see which it is, because I have the latest version (beast 8.4d) and my light color is blue not green.

And one more thing, while you are in Device manager, click on view (top bar) and click on "show hidden devices", see what is under the display adapters now, there should be something other than hd 3000, take a screen shot and post it.

yes i did with gpu attached. yes i did  scan every time. latest one 8.4 beast. color is green. i did hidden devices nothing comes up.

btw there is a switch under surface says atx pow switch on off and some other says  15z 7s and off

should use some screwdriver to  change atx power to off to on?

@paypaytr

Don't interfere with those options on the eGPU adapter yet, the atx power option is whether to have the power supply running constantly or to have it on with your system, given you don't have an issue of it turning on, you don't have to interfere with that. The option thing is a timer, a delay (15s, 7s and off), this is to delay when the eGPU is detected by your system).

Try booting up without the eGPU plugged in, once you have booted plug it back in and see if it "sees" the device. If that does not work, shut down the system, boot back up (without the eGPU) and put the laptop to sleep, plug in the eGPU and wake the laptop, see if the GPU is detected.

@Mr_Western

I tried everything but pcie bus only x1 1.1 :(

I installed A11 bios mod and turn off dgpu(gt525m) on bios but this time I can't use internal screen :)

I used setup 1.30 close dgpu after run pcie compaction and I can use internal screen.

Performance is same.

I tried disable nvidia hd audio but results same :)

Pcie port support gen2 but runs gen1 :( 

pci.PNG

Edited by sulocanx

@sulocanx

If you are running a modded BIOS, there should be an option to force gen 2 on the PCIe port, that's what I did on my laptop (however, I had 4 PCIe ports showing up in BIOS so I forced the first 2 to gen2). Strange that your laptop and my laptop has the same name for the BIOS, I am running a modded A11 BIOS on my XPS 15.

However, I see you have setup 1.3, I have never used that before so I think it might be best to forward this concern to Nando since he stated that his software suppose to force Gen2 on the PCIe port even if the BIOS won't do it.

But I am still seeing that gt525, if it was properly disabled and its drivers removed, it should not be visible by your system (windows would see it as a generic display device).

Go to your device manager and change the "view" (the tab on top) to "Devices by Connection"

Look for a heading marked PCI to PCI Bridge, there is multiple nests (heading, titles whatever you call it) of this, one of them should be nesting your iGPU (gt525) disable the whole nest (see attachment), I already disabled mine so you won't see it as having anything in it, but you will see yours with your iGPU in it..

If this does not open up your PCIe port to 2.0 instead of 1.1, maybe a driver needs updating.

By the way, what software is that you using, I like it.

Hopefully I am communicating properly with your, if there is anything mixing you up, feel free to point it out.

iGPU diabled.png

Hi. I have Acer Aspire 5552g laptop with unlocked BIOS, EXP GDC v8.0 and AMD R9 380X GPU.

I've also enabled PCI-E gen2 in bios settings on all ports

The problem is, while GPU connected, i experience audio stutter and micro lags under any graphics activity

Here is screenshot of DPC checker while just watching video on YouTube:

20161031162745001.png

I just don't know the cause of problem. Is it notebook, EXP GDC/it's cable, GPU or something else? What i can do to fix it?

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language

BTW: Is there any way to install newer graphics drivers? My notebook has Mobility Radeon HD 5470 dGPU, and latest driver that supports both eGPU and dGPU is Catalyst 15.11 beta

31 minutes ago, sashok724 said:

Hi. I have Acer Aspire 5552g laptop with unlocked BIOS, EXP GDC v8.0 and AMD R9 380X GPU.

I've also enabled PCI-E gen2 in bios settings on all ports

The problem is, while GPU connected, i experience audio stutter and micro lags under any graphics activity

Here is screenshot of DPC checker while just watching video on YouTube:

20161031162745001.png

I just don't know the cause of problem. Is it notebook, EXP GDC/it's cable, GPU or something else? What i can do to fix it?

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language

BTW: Is there any way to install newer graphics drivers? My notebook has Mobility Radeon HD 5470 dGPU, and latest driver that supports both eGPU and dGPU is Catalyst 15.11 beta

Switch to Gen1 speed for the eGPU and test to see if it helps. EXP GDC is known to cause Gen2 instability with the AMD drivers implementing some fault tolerance which may express itself as high DPC latency. PE4C 3.0 with it's soldered capable providing a more reliable Gen2 link.

The other things to try are disabling the AMD eGPU audio as well as disable the HD5470 where you'd use just a Basic Microsoft adapter instead.

Just now, sashok724 said:

Tried gen1, nothing changed. Same for disabling HD5470. To disable HDMI audio, i just need to disable it in sound settings like this?

Maybe. I disable devices in Device Manager. Also check if you have eGPU stuttering while being used. I had a problem with crosstalk on the eGPU adapter cable that gave such choppy results.

@sashok724

If I was you I would not give a damn about the laptop dGPU and outright disable it and uninstall the drivers for it. If you are going with an eGPU solution your primary goal should be having an environment most suited for your eGPU, this includes GPU drivers of the latest, not what is compatible with 2 different cards.

So my advice, get rid of all drivers (except for your HD graphics drivers) using DDU (display driver uninstaller, free from guru3d) and reinstall the latest version of your eGPU driver.

Make sure your intel drivers are up to scratch as well (chipset, HD graphics and intel audio [if applicable]).

8 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@sashok724

If I was you I would not give a damn about the laptop dGPU and outright disable it and uninstall the drivers for it. If you are going with an eGPU solution your primary goal should be having an environment most suited for your eGPU, this includes GPU drivers of the latest, not what is compatible with 2 different cards.

So my advice, get rid of all drivers (except for your HD graphics drivers) using DDU (display driver uninstaller, free from guru3d) and reinstall the latest version of your eGPU driver.

Make sure your intel drivers are up to scratch as well (chipset, HD graphics and intel audio [if applicable]).

The problem is, while drivers is not installed for dGPU, eGPU is not working at all. And i can't disable dGPU completely (not just in device manager) because 'iport' is not working on AMD chipsets

20161101115134001.png

Edited by sashok724

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone hopefully I'll find some answers for my questions here, is good to see plenty of DYI people around here, first my system specs below;

Dell E6420 / i7 2720QM / 8GB Ram / Intel HD 3000

Windows 7 x64

EGPU EXP GDC v8.3b w/ GTX 960

Express card connector

I tried this setup on a Lenovo x220 works perfectly fine on Gen1 mode, but is unstable in Gen2 (random BSOD)

On the Dell works perfectly fine on Gen1, can't change to Gen2 (no option in BIOS)

Is it possible to activate Gen2 with Nando's software on the Dell?

If so, is it stable?

Is EXP GDC compatible with Gen2 at all? or is just a combo lucky (GPU+EXP)

I tried connecting it on the mPCI-e connector, but I get it to work 1 in 30 times, so is unreliable, also tried the sleep mode trick, but does not work.

Thank you for your attention, all the best.

6 minutes ago, santikaru said:

Hello everyone hopefully I'll find some answers for my questions here, is good to see plenty of DYI people around here, first my system specs below;

Dell E6420 / i7 2720QM / 8GB Ram / Intel HD 3000

Windows 7 x64

EGPU EXP GDC v8.3b w/ GTX 960

Express card connector

I tried this setup on a Lenovo x220 works perfectly fine on Gen1 mode, but is unstable in Gen2 (random BSOD)

On the Dell works perfectly fine on Gen1, can't change to Gen2 (no option in BIOS)

Is it possible to activate Gen2 with Nando's software on the Dell?

If so, is it stable?

Is EXP GDC compatible with Gen2 at all? or is just a combo lucky (GPU+EXP)

I tried connecting it on the mPCI-e connector, but I get it to work 1 in 30 times, so is unreliable, also tried the sleep mode trick, but does not work.

Thank you for your attention, all the best.

Yes, Setup 1.30 can downgrade your mPCIe or EC link to Gen1 to gain stability. EXP GDC with it's socketted cable is notorious for being unable to reliably maintain a Gen2 signal. The soldered-cable PE4C 3.0 is better but still there can be factors there too: impedance of video card, EMI from appliances.

Expresscard is the way to go on a E6420 or X220. Much more convenient than mPCIe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi All,

I just have a question regarding this type of setup, EXP GDC Beast 8.4d + Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB.

As far as I know, the GTX1050 doesn't have a 6pin power connector.

So my question is, will the pcie slot from the adapter sufficient enough to power up the card?

Thanks!

Edited by n3uralhack3r
additional details

2 hours ago, n3uralhack3r said:

Hi All,

I just have a question regarding this type of setup, EXP GDC Beast 8.4d + Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB.

As far as I know, the GTX1050 doesn't have a 6pin power connector.

So my question is, will the pcie slot from the adapter sufficient enough to power up the card?

Thanks!

I apologize for the shameless BUMP, but I have a limited access for this week so I badly need a reply. :(

@n3uralhack3r

My setup consist of the GTX 950 which does not have a power connector either (its an ASUS mini which you can check out here). Good news and a bit of bad news; in my experience it worked without the extra power connector for about an hour and then crashed (thats the bad bit) but the good news is that if you use MSI afterburner and down the power limit from 100% to about 85-90% it works without a problem. You should not get any performance difference with this reduced power so don't worry.

Attached image related.

Untitled.png

Since I am here, has anyone been able to download Forza Motorsport Apex, I am getting a DirectX issue on the requirements section of the download page and as such not allowing me to download.

See attached image...

Untitled2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@n3uralhack3r

I hope you see this message before purchasing, but I would go with a gtx 1050 with a bit more VRAM, I think there is a 4GB version. If the 2GB version is your only choice then go for it but if you have a chance to upgrade to the 4GB do it. I find my 2GB VRAM fills up real quick in modern titles like the new skyrim and GTA V.

Best of luck.

Hello!

I am currently having a problem with my setup. [emoji22]

MSI GP60
i7 4700mq
GT740m

I have a gtx 1050 and gdc beast 8.4d as egpu.

Here are the steps i have done so far:
1. Uninstall dgpu drivers
2. Reboot
3. Install latest nvidia driver for gtx1050
4. Reboot
5. Device manager shows that the card is installed but is having a Code 43 error.

Do you think it is because I did not disable my dgpu?
I tried to find that option but it was not available in the BIOS.

Please help.

Sent from my SM-A9000 using Tapatalk

@n3uralhack3r

Yes it is because you did not disable the laptop GPU. You don't really need a BIOS option for this as I don't have one.

What I would suggest is to read this post, it will explain how to properly disable your laptop GPU using the device manager.

Explanation starts at the third paragraph.

Edited by Mr_Western