EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hello, i have an issue my laptop (HP 470 G1\iGPU HD4600\dGPU AMD8750m) hangs on boot before bios, with EXP GDC 8.3. 
I tried CTD\PTD switch but no result in any position.
I tried to tape pin22 on mPCI to get through boot with my eGPU attached - no result.
My questions:
1. Is there any other way to get a delay and go through bios?
2. Is there any other trick (like pin22 trick) but especially for EXP GDC to trick my bios? I beleive pin22 trick was not for EXP GDC?

hey guys I've recently bough the EXP GDC V:8.0 (Mini PCI-E) for my Laptop HP Envy 15-j052nr 
it works fine most of the time but... this is my setup:

EVGA GTX660 Superclocked, Drivers installed from the GEforce support page for the same model
PSU EVGA 500W 80PLUS certified
Laptop Specs:
8GB DDR3L RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4600 with 1792MB total graphic memory
2.4 GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
Windows 8.1 X64 

my issue is that while connected to an external monitor all works fine but working with the integrated display most of the time the GPU suddenly stop working, shutting down the pc and turning it back on is the only way to fix it whenever it happens, I've been reading this thread quiet a bit and I've seen people struggling with drivers and insufficient wastage and i just want to make sure my setup is ok. Thanks in advance

22 minutes ago, BK-201 said:

integrated display most of the time the GPU suddenly stop working, shutting down the pc and turning it back on is the only way to fix it whenever it happens, I've been reading this thread quiet a bit and I've seen people struggling with drivers and insufficient wastage and i just want to make sure my setup is ok. Thanks in advance

When it happens, go to device manager and disable and enable the gfx card. This will quickly restore functionality to the card, but whatever program you were running on it will have crashed (or at least show a perpetual blank screen) and you will have to open them again. If you are running GPU overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner, you will have to tell it to re-apply your overclocking profile again.

Tech Inferno Fan says that since the EXP GDC uses a socketted connection between the adapter and the laptop, there may be signalling issues which cause intermittent dropouts. Your best bet is to secure every connection as thoroughly as possible. Find some way to put constant downward force on the adapter side of the cable.

I did this and I rarely get these random dropouts any more.

Edited by Arbystrider

1 hour ago, Arbystrider said:

When it happens, go to device manager and disable and enable the gfx card. This will quickly restore functionality to the card, but whatever program you were running on it will have crashed (or at least show a perpetual blank screen) and you will have to open them again. If you are running GPU overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner, you will have to tell it to re-apply your overclocking profile again.

Tech Inferno Fan says that since the EXP GDC uses a socketted connection between the adapter and the laptop, there may be signalling issues which cause intermittent dropouts. Your best bet is to secure every connection as thoroughly as possible. Find some way to put constant downward force on the adapter side of the cable.

I did this and I rarely get these random dropouts any more.

nice tip with the device manager, ill try pressuring the connectors when i have the chance but im still not sure how everything should be connected there, the PSU have a lot of cables, im also not running any overclocking software because this gpu is already factory overclocked  

i just remembered that running some games on an external monitor the gpu stop physically working so there must be something missing

i've also read that installing the Mobile version of the GPU driver helps, lastly can you share your setup?
thanks a lot for your quick response 

27 minutes ago, BK-201 said:

i've also read that installing the Mobile version of the GPU driver helps, lastly can you share your setup?
thanks a lot for your quick response 

I presume you already have the Mobile version of the driver, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to use the internal LCD.

I use internal LCD only with my eGPU.

Hi guys. Wanted to check a couple of things with you:

1) I've ordered a EXP GDC "BEAST" "with power supply" which I assume is a Dell DA-2 or similar. I plan to use it with a Thinkpad T430s mPCIe and a Gigabyte "mini" GTX 970. My card has a 8pin PCIe power socket and the package I think comes with one power cable for 6pin - I need to order a 6pin to 8pin adapter, right? Do I need anything else?

2) My laptop doesn't have a dGPU, just the HD4000 - is it possible to use the internal display, or am I forced to use external display?

Thanks!

Edited by gg1

I ordered one of the Exp GDC docks a few weeks ago to try and get my GTX 970 working with my M18x R2. I hooked it all up and my laptop was able to detect it without any issues, but I couldn't actually get the system to use the EGPU when playing games. I figured this was because I can't get into the BIOS to disable the discreet card (660m), and I don't want to have to remove it because that kind of defeats the purpose of setting up the EGPU in the first place (my original intention was to set up the EGPU at my desk and then just leave it there, taking my laptop on the road).

My hope is that after I get access to the downloads and can flash a modified BIOS, I can install the 970m driver and get a few more years out of the old girl. I'm actually pretty pissed off that you pay all that money for top end hardware, but get locked out of the majority of the BIOS features, but hey what ya gonna do?

Hi, Need help with BIOS error message and setting graphicscard a primary

I successfully got rid of the Error Code 12 by using the DSDT override procedure(with zero error) which adds the Memory in Device manager. The DSDT file was loaded properly.

My laptop specs are given below. After that when i connected the GPU and restarted the laptop i got the BLUE screen for fraction of sec with message  "The BIOS in this system is Not Fully ACPI Compliant". The card FAN is running slow for some reason as well. The Blue screen keeps restarting the laptop in a loop. So, i turned off the PSU and restarted my laptop - then turned PSU ON after reaching the desktop > the card showed up properly (see screen below) although the desktop is supporting only 1024 resolution. Ddi the new DSDT file mess up the BIOS somehow.?

Can you suggest how to ensure that the OS loads properly?

Also why is it that my card does not have any error in device manager and still the OS does not use it as primary - is it because i start the PSU after reaching desktop?

>> HP Laptop (Pavilion DV7 Notebook) with Wondows 7 Home Edition.

>> GT 960 graphics card and EVGA 600w power supply.

image1.jpgimage2.jpg

15 hours ago, gg1 said:

I think comes with one power cable for 6pin - I need to order a 6pin to 8pin adapter, right? Do I need anything else?

The package comes with a single 6pin to dual6pin. One side goes to the GDC, the other side goes to the GFX card.

As for the 8pin connector on the card, you can use a wire to short out the additional 2pin segment together to make the card think that it's connected.

15 hours ago, gg1 said:

is it possible to use the internal display,

Yes. Install nvidia notebook drivers.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

The package comes with a single 6pin to dual6pin. One side goes to the GDC, the other side goes to the GFX card.

As for the 8pin connector on the card, you can use a wire to short out the additional 2pin segment together to make the card think that it's connected.

Yes. Install nvidia notebook drivers.

Thanks! The GB package actually had a 6pin to 6pin + 6+2pin so I was good to go. Now I have as pare 6 to 8 pin adapter turning up tomorrow haha

As for internal display.. it works (I installed GTX 970M listed drivers off the bat) but I'm wondering what sort (if any) performance increase I'll see if I use an external monitor? If I start using a monitor do I need to change drivers? This is GPU-Z (running the render test) does it look ok? 2.0 x16 @ 1 2.0 ? 

t6x.png

51 minutes ago, gg1 said:

what sort (if any) performance increase I'll see if I use an external monitor?

About 15-20%, depending on the workload.

You can look at the many benchmarks that other users have put up. Some of them compare scores/framerates both with and without external monitor.

x1 2.0 is the highest you can get on EXP GDC.

GTX 970 gives very strange results however: http://www.owen-lu.com/egpu/

Edited by Arbystrider

Hello, I am having problems setting up my EXP GDC. The one found here: http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-External-PCI-Graphics-Card/dp/B00Q4VMLF6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The cords given were the pci-e mini to hdmi and an 8-pin/4-pin/20-pin Y shaped cord. I have everything plugged in aswell as the extra power for the graphics card. With the PSU on and everthing plugged in, the graphics card or it's fan or the PSU fan does NOT power on. What could be the problem? (OS does not recognize anything is plugged in)

Parts:

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCF2390X

Graphics Card: AMD RADEON HD 7700 (GHOST)

PSU: Corsair CX 750

Your awesome btw. Power works. Now just working on the drivers. Installed mobile drivers under "notebook graphics" on amd's manual driver install selection. Biggest issue is that my bios has no option to disable the default graphics card. Disabling the old graphics card in Device Manager does not switch over to the new graphics card. Trying to open radeon settings gives " Radeon Settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting AMD Graphics ". Would flipping to different switches on the EXP GDC help this problem ( i don't want to switch them if I don't have to, don't want to mess anything up, currently in the left position). Or would I have to crack the bios (which is also undesirable)?

Edit: Bonus Question: Is a separate monitor required or is it possible to use the laptops screen with the new graphics card?

Edited by MuffinzPlox

2 hours ago, MuffinzPlox said:

Edit: Bonus Question: Is a separate monitor required

Yes.

Any program that you want to run on AMD eGPU must run from separate monitor connected directly to eGPU.

2 hours ago, MuffinzPlox said:

s it possible to use the laptops screen with the new graphics card?

Yes. See post below.

Please help me with the BIOS error message "System is not fully ACPI Compliant" and Graphics Card error Code 14.

I have connected my HP Laptop Pavilion DV7 with GTX 960 4GB card using the GDP Beast V8.0

> At first i got the Error Code 12 in device manager. Followed DSDT override to solve it. Loaded the updated DSDT file and then Large Memory is showing up correctly in Device Manager.

> The card showed up in Device Manager with Code 14 - This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer.

> When i restarted the computer with eGPU turned-on i got the blue screen bios error "The BIOS in this system is Not Fully ACPI Compliant". Laptop restarts itself after the blue screen and this goes on over and over in loop.

> I tried restarting laptop with eGPU turned-off. Got the same error "Code 14" in device manager.

Below are my laptop specs -

HP Laptop (Pavilion DV7 Notebook) with Wondows 7 Home Edition.

GT 960 graphics card and EVGA 600w power supply.

I am badly stuck here for a week now. Can someone please help me with this error - tried searching all the threads for anything similar but unfortunately couldn't find a solution.

Please please please help me out with any kind of expert suggestion. Thanks in advance.

image1.jpg.807ff187a1a85194e121c73f0952eb9e.jpgimage2.jpg.ad08c29ef0f0d018c3faf0ad5448fdb4.jpg

Edited by Somik

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 May 2016 at 8:55 AM, john.wayne said:

Hello, i have an issue my laptop (HP 470 G1\iGPU HD4600\dGPU AMD8750m) hangs on boot before bios, with EXP GDC 8.3. 
I tried CTD\PTD switch but no result in any position.
I tried to tape pin22 on mPCI to get through boot with my eGPU attached - no result.
My questions:
1. Is there any other way to get a delay and go through bios?
2. Is there any other trick (like pin22 trick) but especially for EXP GDC to trick my bios? I beleive pin22 trick was not for EXP GDC?

hi, i got same exact problem. do you have the solution??

for now. i just hotswap my wifi in setup 1.3.

only that way i can make my setup work. i wonder if our ptd switch is broken???

and,

is the switch only one? only ptd without cd??

On 18.06.2016 at 8:11 PM, diabloretriever said:

hi, i got same exact problem. do you have the solution??

for now. i just hotswap my wifi in setup 1.3.

only that way i can make my setup work. i wonder if our ptd switch is broken???

and,

is the switch only one? only ptd without cd??

I hotswap too, kinda. I turned off my dGPU, and boot with setup 1.3(and enable port there)+dsdt override, then sleep mode to make it work. Right now i don't know how to get the bios delay. If there will be any news please post it here.