EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

*** EXP GDC V8.0 not turning on ***

I myself bought the Beast V8.0 from online site for HP Laptop (Pavilion DV7 Notenook). I also took a GT 960 graphics card and EVGA 600w poer supply.

Once i made all the connections as the pic given below and started my PC the PC started without detecting any hardware change. The adaptor did not show any light (guess there arent any), The power supply did not trigger and the graphics card fan did not start. Can someone please look at the setup and suggest what i might be doing wrong.

As you can see i didn't use the 6PIN Out from the adaptor for any connection. Is that right.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me fix this issue. Thanks 

image1.jpeg

7 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

Above: Doing that shorts out multiple rails on the PSU which causes it to shut off due to SCP.

You are supposed to use the 4pin CPU connection, NOT the 4pin segment of the 20+4pin ATX connection.

Thanks a lot for your reply.. I am totally new to the terms and trying to relate to the things which I have. Are you saying that the 4 PIN from GPU should remain without connection , whereas I must use a "4 PIN cpu connection".. I didn't get any 4 PIN cpu connection with the GPU Beast Adapter - have only the 20+4 PIn which I have used the way in the pic.. 

Also is the connection of the Graphics Card done correctly?

does it mean that I have fried the GPU adapter or the PSU somehow?

also since yesterday I am not able to disconnect the 4 PIN - it tight as hell :((((

i seem to be in a bad mess now.. Please please help me out here... Thanks a million for your replies

Thanks a lot for the pic.. It makes perfect sense now ... Though i have made a idiotic mistake and coupled the 4 pin from GPU to the wrong pin of PSU. And now the two jacks are somehow so badly coupled that i cannot open them up. Do you have any suggestion how i can open it up? :( Appreciate all the help you have done so far. You are really a life saver.

On 15/05/2016 at 1:29 AM, Somik said:

I bought the Beast V8.0 from online site for HP Laptop (Pavilion DV7 Notenook). I also took a GT 960 graphics card and EVGA 600w poer supply.

Once i made all the connections as the pic given below and started my PC the PC started without detecting any hardware change. The adaptor did not show any light (guess there arent any), The power supply did not trigger and the graphics card fan did not start. Can someone please look at the setup and suggest what i might be doing wrong.

Will the hardware start only after making any change to BIOS.... IF so please someone tell me what change do i need to do

As you can see i didn't use the 6PIN Out from the adaptor for any connection. Is that right.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me fix this issue. Thanks 

image1.jpeg

Carefully try this : 

http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Maybe will help you....

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I got the PIN out and connected with the correct PSU 4-PIN. All connections looked good.

image2.jpeg

> I powered ON the PSU unit. Then powered the Laptop. Opened Device manager and disabled the existing radeon card.

> The adapted showed up in list of Display Drivers as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". If i check the properties it said "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

image4.jpeg

> I loaded the graphics driver but it didnt change. Someone suggested to change "Switchable Graphics" to "UMA" in BIOS but i couldnt find any such option in my laptop BIOS.
It only had two options for Switchable Graphics "Fixed" and "Dynamic".

image3.jpeg

My laptop and card specs are as below. Can you please let me know what i am  missing. Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

Laptop: HP DV7 pavilion notebook

Card: GTX 960 4GB

PSU: EVGA 600W

Adapter: V8.0 Beast

Where can i get "Mobile GPU Driver"? And is there any reset switch on the adapter?

I understand there is a switch with 3 modes in it. Are you referring to those?

On 1/30/2016 at 0:37 AM, AstralSparks said:

Hello, regarding signal issue on exp gdc V6 (which causes instability when using gen2 speed) is that still persist on exp gdc V8 ? 

thanks

I have GDC v8 and I cannot run at gen 2 speed, only gen 1.

On 3/9/2016 at 8:48 AM, luferbur said:

Hi everyone i have an error with the Exp Gdc Beast V8 

My setup:

-Acer aspire 5750g (this model came with 1x4gb ram but i upgraded to 2x4gb ram)

-Exp Gdc Beast V8

-Gtx 750 Ti 2gb

-Power supply Nox urano sx 500

I connect the  1 x 20/24 pin and the 1 x 4 pin of the power supply to the cable the EGBeast came with

And I use 2 molex to power the gtx750ti

As indicated in the manual i had to change the bios graphic mode to integrated and diseable the network boot to start the pc and not having the black screen issue so i did.

The problem I have is that after having installed the gcard drivers and have it recognised by pc, I have this problem

56e17ac05c0b2_20160310_0307521.thumb.jpg

It says its error code 43 

I've tried unninstalling and searching  for hardware changes aswell but no solution

I'd apreciate some help, thank you 

I had this error and it was because of a PCI memory space issue. I recommend doing DSDT override.

On 2/23/2016 at 3:51 PM, ady133t said:

Today is the time for my egpu setup died since 1 month gaming with it. either gpu (gtx750ti) or exp gdc/hdmi cable... haven't test my video card to other pc yet.. i got error 42 and sometimes egpu not detected.  either way i cannot use it anymore. so i cut the black rubber at the end of connection between mhdmi and mpcie male connector to see if any wire break..  what I see is they used a tiny  cheap SINGLE CORE WIRE!!!! instead of stranded wire.. which it will easily break due to movement, and we know that the cable is quite long..  thats fucking ridiculous..  even normal cheap psu used  multicore wire to prevent break.. and they sell the replacement cable for about 17 usd???? See the red wire..

IMG_20160225_045011.jpg

Wicked! Has anyone opened up the other manufacturer's cables (ex. PE4C) and seen what quality they are? This may be the key to getting gen 2 speeds on EXP GDC...I may try replacing this cable with a higher quality data cable. (That is if I can get the pinout correct!)

my lenovo y410p does not detect the egpu, im using exp gdc beast with windforce gtx 780 and 550w cm power supply. gpu fan spinning with blue led on the exp gdc but nothing on windows device manager. i bought the setup 1.30, noticed that my dgpu and gigabit ethernet which using p1x1.2 disappear when connecting the egpu. it just shows my igpu and 2 port with no devices (p1x1.2 & p5x1.2), also i can enable port 2,3 and 4 but still not detected. the wifi card is on port 5 so i assume that the egpu will use that port hence it already enabled. any help and suggestion ?

2 hours ago, Overlordik said:
Hello. My exp gdc turns off but laptop continues to work. I use GTX 760 and PSU 500w - 14a on 12v power line. Different versions of drivers I've tried - nothing. Plz Help me.

428dc4f587.png

Do you see what your problem is?

Also, cheapo PSUs tend to have crappy power quality that causes hardware unreliability. Use something that was built better. Like a Silverstone or a Delta.

Hi all!

Finally I got my EXP GDC with EC cable.

For test I had two cards - GT640 and 980TI.

I started with 640. After connect, disable dGPU and PCI comapction everything was working just fine - Windows 8.1 detected my card, I could run benchmark etc.

But now after I connect 980TI fan just spins really fast.

Can somebody help me with it?

Thank you!

Hi All,

I am a noob on this topic. I had read through all the messages this forum. I tried many options stated and tried, kinda of loss here. Can anyone help me?

All my items are 2nd hand, and I am trying for some days now to get the egpu to be detected by the my laptopbut with no success.

I am not able to see the the GPU in my driver manager.

Here is gist of what i have and had done:

Setup:

I am trying with 2 laptops (both have an internal geforce gpu) both came out with the same failure.

Sony VAIO VPCS125FG using express card and ASUS X550LC using mpcie (plug to the place where the wifi was before)

Both using Windows 10, Sony is home version and Asus is Pro version

External PCI dock is EXP GDC Beast version 7.0, GPU Is evga gtx 570 and PSU is coolermaster gtx 650 w (52A on 12 v rail)

i've plug in 8 port to the Beast from the PSU and plug in from PSU 2 x 6 ports the top of the gtx 570.

Both laptop when i powerup PSU kicks in and the GPU fan starts and eGPU dock has redlight but on both occasions nothing got detected in my driver manager.

I've tried the following:

• Scanned  with Driver Genius, booster as well, not detected as well
  • Tried disabling the internal ge-force as well and restart
  • Tried the boot with Wifi , sleep then replace with the beast cable
  • On the expresscard, tried to start the PC then plug in (GPU and PSU fan stop and start with no problem)
  • Tried playing the CTD and PTD switches

Can you give me some ideas what else should I do?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Tan

IMG-20160527-WA0010.jpg

Edited by pcctmudza
add pictures

1 hour ago, pcctmudza said:

On the expresscard, tried to start the PC then plug in (GPU and PSU fan stop and start with no problem)

I believe you are supposed to plug in the EC part, then boot up the PC.

By "fan stop and start" do you mean they just spin for a split-second and then stop? If that's the case, you may have some PSU-related connection that's wrong, but from your pic I don't see any problems.

I had a similar problem when I first setup my GTX 580 eGPU. It turns out the GPU was so heavy that it tilted to one side of the adapter, and wasn't making good contact. So I stuck an eraser in between the card and the adapter to keep it on straight.

If there are any 8pin power connectors on your card, you have to plug in the additional 2-pin segments as well.

Edited by Arbystrider

On 5/28/2016 at 2:26 PM, Arbystrider said:

I believe you are supposed to plug in the EC part, then boot up the PC.

By "fan stop and start" do you mean they just spin for a split-second and then stop? If that's the case, you may have some PSU-related connection that's wr

Hi,

Yes did that as well with no avail, then read someone played with CTD/PTD then plug out and plug in the expresscard and got the card detected.

Tried this didn't work.

On the fan, I meant i was using CTD/PTD option, I manage to make it fan spin while expresscard is in and when plug fan stop spinning then plug again the fan spins again without stopping.

I now think it could be my bios setting on the Sony . It has no option to enable graphic usage for the expresscard.

GPU was so heavy that it tilted to one side of the adapter, and wasn't making good contact. So I stuck an eraser in between the card and the adapter to keep it on st

Wow didnt realise that GPUs can be that sensitive, you are right that it is tilted at one side as it is heavy, I will try this later today. This is a good tip thanks for this!

EDIT (1):

I've tried this still it didn't work, I think the following is the issue:

For my Sony expresscard, I think it is bios issue

For my Asus, I think it is the cable

But this is just my 2 cents, if someone can give me more ideas, I can try, please help.

:EDIT (1)

If there are any 8pin power connectors on your card, you have to plug in the additional 2-pin segments as well.

I suspected as well that lack of power on the GTX 570 but it has 2 x 6 pin 

One other thing I was thinking, reading ady's message on the low cable quality, it could be the case on my beast cable to the ASUS laptop.

EDIT (2):

Tested EXP GDC Beast version 7.0 with GTX 750 ti using express card to the Sony Vaio VPCS125FG today and the Sony laptop was able to detect it with no issues through plug and play.

With this test, I can confirm that the EVGA GTX 570 is cause of the problem of not able to detect  eGPU in device manager through the Beast.

As I am not too familiar with the tool setup 1.x by Nando, possibly that tool can help solve the issue and make GTX 570 detectable.

Can anyone help to confirm this?

:EDIT (2)

Edited by pcctmudza

Hello,

I got a problem with my eGPU setup. I'm not sure what im doing wrong, so i decided to ask the community.

My Laptop Specs

• Acer Aspire E5-574G-76K1
  • i7-6500U @ 2.5Ghz
  • Nvidia GeForce 940M 4GB (Believe me, it aint enuff)
  • Intel HD Graphics 520
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • Windows 10 - 64Bit

eGPU Stuff

• EXP GDC v8 (NGFF / M.2 Version)
  • GTX 980Ti (MSI Gaming 6G)
  • FSP 750w PSU

Trying to keep this short.

Okay so i removed my WiFi card, added the EXP GDC Cable, connected the eGPU, then the PSU and powered on. (Did all the wire stuffs properly)

• Turned on the laptop
  • GPU Powers up, lights glow and the fans spin on a normal speed
  • But the laptop screen stays black (not blank, i mean the screen looks black like when the laptop is switched off)
  • So i turn off laptop, moved the switch on the EXP GDC to the next level and turned the laptop on again
  • Again GPU powers up, and now the screen turns on and boots into windows 10. But like 5seconds before going into the login screen, the GPU fans stop spinning but the GPU lights are still on.
  • I went to device manager and cant see any new hardware detected thingy, and also my dGPU is also not shown.
  • I removed all the stuff and disabled my dGPU and then connected the things again, i again get the same result of not seeing anything on device manager.
  • Tried installing the driver even thought its not detected, didnt work.

Any help on this matter would be helpful, also will the eGPU Setup v1.30 be helpful for me?

PS. I got an external display too.

Edited by Specko

Hi all 

I plan to use this adapter, but I'm not sure my laptop can support or not.

Model - K40AE

Processor AMD Athlon II Dual Core M320
Graphic - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series.

Please advise.:frantics:

Hi all,

i have an Acer aspire 5755G laptop.with unlocked bios., gtx 460 and exp gdc v8 mPcie and 450W corsair smps... 

When i connect the exp gdc the laptop freezes until i disconnect and there is a blue light instead of red light.

i disabled dgpu and also disabled uefi...yet no success.

Please help. ty.

Hi All,

Tested EXP GDC Beast version 7.0 with GTX 750 ti using express card to the Sony Vaio VPCS125FG today and the Sony laptop was able to detect it with no issues through plug and play.

With this test, I can confirm that the EVGA GTX 570 is cause of the problem of not able to detect  eGPU in device manager through the Beast.

As I am not too familiar with the tool setup 1.x by Nando, possibly that tool can help solve the issue and make GTX 570 detectable.

Can anyone help to confirm this?

Thanks.