EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hi all. I'm new to eGPU and have a question here. I just ordered DA-2 and Beast. While I'm looking for a cheap GPU, I noticed this in Wikipedia:

Note that while GTX 460's TDP is comparable to that of AMD's HD5000 Series, GF100-based cards (GTX 480/470/465) are rated much lower but pull significantlly more power, e.g. GTX 480 with 250W TDP consumes More power than an HD 5970 with 297W TDP.
Similar to previous generation, GTX 580 and most likely future GTX 570, while reflecting its improvement over GF100, still have lower rated TDP and higher power consumption, e.g. GTX580 (243W TDP) is slightly less power hungry than GTX 480 (250W TDP). This is managed by clock throttling through drivers when a dedicated power hungry application is identified that could breach card TDP. Application name changing will disable throttling and enable full power consumption, which in some cases could be close to that of GTX480.

In the list GTX 470 has a TDP of 215W and GTX 570 has a TDP of 219W. Barely below DA-2's 220W output. My question is whether a single DA-2 can provide enough power for those 2 cards. If not, what is the upper limit for TDP?

BTW I choose nvidia's card since my laptop supports optimus.

Hi all. I'm new to eGPU and have a question here. I just ordered DA-2 and Beast. While I'm looking for a cheap GPU, I noticed this in Wikipedia:

In the list GTX 470 has a TDP of 215W and GTX 570 has a TDP of 219W. Barely below DA-2's 220W output. My question is whether a single DA-2 can provide enough power for those 2 cards. If not, what is the upper limit for TDP?

BTW I choose nvidia's card since my laptop supports optimus.

TDP is not necessarily power consumption

See

What you need to search up is how much power it draws during load based on testing

According to Recommended Watt number for GPU - Asus GTX570 DCII? - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays the 570 can draw up to 219W under load. Cutting it a little bit close to the DA-2's max watts. You might be able to use an AC adapter with the DA-2 if you experience instability due to the power limitation. Not sure if it actually works like that, though :angry:

Hey,

Im verry new to the Exp Gdc ..

I've buyed the Exp gds beast(Mini pcie version) from banggood and a Gtx 970.

Whene i connect everything the led on the exp gdc turns red but i see the gtx in device manager and it is working.

When i start up a game my fps is even worse than the original Gpu.

Can somebody help me with this problem ?

my setup:

Alienware m17x R2

540M i5 cpu

Exp Gdc Beast (mini Pcie version)

original gpu: Amd Mobility radeon hd 5800

extended gpu : Geforce gtx 970

Thanks

Hello guys,

I have ordered EXP GDC ExpressCard and I set it up but the problem now is that I have it on Device Manager, but showing the error code 43.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14603[/ATTACH]

If someone could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html

Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm very confused with this. I have disabled the built-in VGA and now the GTX 760 appears on Device Manager working. I have installed nVidia drivers but now what should I do? I have an external monitor but don't know how to connect it.

Just identify the ports on your monitor (which take a video signal IN) and the ports on your GFX (which sends video OUT) then match the two with a cable.

for more info

Can use internal monitor with minimal lose of fps?? with intel HD grafic of corse

How much % fps we lose on this internal monitor?

Hello and thanks for a great threat :)

I bought a exp gdc and waiting for delivery.

I have just 1.5 question before i buy a GTX 960 to go with it.

1.: I gather the 220w Dell power brick is sufficient? (the two cards I look at is around 90-120w and peak at 130w).

1.5.: Is it important if the gfx-card is 6 or 8 pin when used with the Dell brick?

and a less important question, do I need any cables to return the signal to the laptop (thinkpad w520/x220)

Hello and thanks for a great threat :)

I bought a exp gdc and waiting for delivery.

I have just 1.5 question before i buy a GTX 960 to go with it.

1.: I gather the 220w Dell power brick is sufficient? (the two cards I look at is around 90-120w and peak at 130w).

1.5.: Is it important if the gfx-card is 6 or 8 pin when used with the Dell brick?

and a less important question, do I need any cables to return the signal to the laptop (thinkpad w520/x220)

You could probably even get away with something like this 12V 12A AC DC Adaptor Power Supply Charger Plug for 3528 5050 LED Strip Lamp | eBay if you're willing to pay a little bit more for portability. The pins on the gpu shouldn't matter because the EXP GDC should come with the appropriate molex power cables, unless your gpu has 3 pin inputs (I've heard of 3x 8-pin inputs). No extra connectors are needed to use optimus; the video signal is sent back down the mPCIe/EC lane, which is why you see a small performance hit.

I use windows 10 on a samsung whit i7 and 8giga of ram whit amd 7600m and intel hd graphic 4000. I use exp gdc v7 whit egpu sapphire dualx r9 280 and atx berlin 630w. I have plug the sistem by mini pci and aida64 see it but windows and all other programs no. What can i do?

You could probably even get away with something like this 12V 12A AC DC Adaptor Power Supply Charger Plug for 3528 5050 LED Strip Lamp | eBay if you're willing to pay a little bit more for portability. The pins on the gpu shouldn't matter because the EXP GDC should come with the appropriate molex power cables, unless your gpu has 3 pin inputs (I've heard of 3x 8-pin inputs). No extra connectors are needed to use optimus; the video signal is sent back down the mPCIe/EC lane, which is why you see a small performance hit.

Thanks. Ill try the 12 volt monday, as I have such a thing laying around. The DP2 will not be here before late next weak. but my graphics card is ready monday.. too bad I didnt know about the 12 volt 150w option the card i bought only max'es out on 120w... (I ditched the ASUS as I read it has some power spikes).

Hi guys, I am new here. Please, does anyone have eGPU experience with Dell Inspiron 7720 ?

Chipset: Intel HM77

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: Nvidia 650m

RAM: 8GB

CPU: i7-3610QM

Thank you thank you thank you

hmmmm seams i reported my self.. on acident.. so my post was deleted, but I found a solution! :D

anyways had a few hour of uninstalling an reinstalling drivers. Nvidia kept swapping back to my discrete card or would not let me use Optimus.

turned out I had to disable discrete card in BIOS. after that I could do a clean driver install with no discrete cart interfering.

works like a charm now ;D

Just set up an eGPU on my Acer Aspire V3 772G. I managed to have the GTX 660 show up on my device manager a few times, but the fans don't turn on and the laptop doesn't use the card. The gpu is fine. And I have a 220W PSU that I'm using EXP GDC Beast as my adapter(plugged into wifi card). Do you know what the problem is? I have a red light on it, no green light. I see the GTX 660 in my device manager, however fans don't turn and laptop doesn't use it. Thanks

thx! will check this out.

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

I am planning to buy this one.... I read some users had issues with the drivers which sometimes do not respond.. is it still an issue on this version above?

thx! will check this out.

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

I am planning to buy this one.... I read some users had issues with the drivers which sometimes do not respond.. is it still an issue on this version above?

Yes, EXP GDC has had reports of Gen2 signal issues. My experience finding the Gen2 compliance is in order (best to worst): PE4L 2.1b > PE4C V2.1 > EXP GDC V6.

If want to take a chance then consider that Setup 1.30 software can be used to downgrade the signal to Gen1 if have problems with the EXP GDC adapter: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

• Thumbs Up 1

How to power off EXP GDC V6 without unplug shutdown laptop, EC cable or 8 pin cable ?

I'm worrying about my gpu if she cannot retrieve stable voltage

That's like to force power off your desktop pc without clicking shutdown button.