EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hi!

First of all, excuse my English - it's not perfect.

Got my exp gdc with express card interface. I'm trying to use it with x220 (RAM 8Gb, msata 128Gb + HDD 320Gb, core i5, Win7) and GTX 560Ti. ATX PSU 500W. On Win7 booting with egpu it's freezes every second - windows logo stops for a second. The same behavior on sleep/plug egpu/wake - system stops every second for a while. Nvidia 9600GT works perfect with exp gdc. Both of GPUs are tested on desktop. Tried with another PSU, tried to remove msata - the same thing. Even when I boot Windows install from USB stick - there are same freezes.

Any ideas?

Thank you a lot for valuable information provided here.

Update: 9600GT works only on external LCD - on internal i see it in devices, but system doesn't use the card for output. Nvidia control panel is unaccessable.

DIY eGPU setup 1.30 doesn't detect GTX 560ti. GT9600 is detected, but I've got some issues like error 12 with DIY eGPU setup.

You or someone else can correct me if I'm misinterpreting or what I'm saying is wrong, but from what I understand of the youtube videos, eGPU only work for the external monitor that's connected to them, not the actual laptop screen itself.

You must be new.

While using an external display gives the best performance, it is (sometimes) possible to utilize a graphics card with the internal LCD. The tech that allows this is Nvidia Optimus or Virtus Logic. How this works is the info is sent to the graphics card for processing and the video signal is compressed and piped back down the same pci-e lane for integrated (Intel HD/Intel Iris) to output to internal LCD. Since a signal is being sent 2 ways, you take a small performance hit. This is only possible on some laptops because you need integrated graphics. There are some laptops where the LCD is only connected to discrete graphics (like GTX 860M), so the integrated graphics can't output signal to LCD.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get this to work because my laptop disables iGPU if the eGPU is detected on startup.

• Thumbs Up 1

Update: 9600GT works only on external LCD - on internal i see it in devices, but system doesn't use the card for output. Nvidia control panel is unaccessable.

DIY eGPU setup 1.30 doesn't detect GTX 560ti. GT9600 is detected, but I've got some issues like error 12 with DIY eGPU setup.

One more update: I was told that GT9600 will not working with internal LCD - it should be newer card to work that way. I'm waiting for GTX 460 to continue discovering issue - I'll get it in few days. I believe, it's bug of my GTX 560ti, and EXP GDC works fine.

Replaced GTX560ti with GTX460 - it works. But randomly it freezes - GPU load moves down to 0% for a second. Any ideas?

Possibly a hardware issue. Check your PSU to make sure you're supplying enough wattage. The EXP GDC also does not supply the cleanest signal down the pci-e v2 lane. For that, you'll want to look into http://www.amazon.com/Bplus-PE4L-EC060A-Convert-add--ExpressCard/dp/B00GWM5ZLO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424300493&sr=8-3&keywords=pe4l

Aside from that, I'll let someone else chime in

Possibly a hardware issue. Check your PSU to make sure you're supply enough wattage. The EXP GDC also does not supply the cleanest signal down the pci-e v2 lane. For that, you'll want to look into Amazon.com: Bplus PE4L-EC060A : Convert PCI Express 1x add-on Card to ExpressCard slot.: Computers & Accessories

Aside from that, I'll let someone else chime in

Thank you for reply. The problem was in driver 347.52 - installed 344.48 and all goes fine.

Hi, I found this forum as I was trying to find a way to make this work. I found the EXP GDC on youtube and thought it'd be great since I can't afford a whole computer right now.

I'm running off a Pavillion dm4 1063cl and using a r9 270x with Dell 2-A 200W . I've replaced the wifi card in the miniPCIE slot with the eGPU and my computer boots up, the EGPU lights up the blue LED, the fans on the video card runs, but I don't see it on my device manager and nothings happens.

Any thoughts or inputs from current users? Should I be getting setup 1.30 from Nando? (No offense to him since he seems so helpful as I've looked through this thread, but I don't want to make another purchase and find out it still doesn't work).

Update: So in my spare time this week I tired again. I had installed the whitelist removal BIOS, turned it on with the wificard in, switched out the wifi card with the eGPU and then did scan hardware changes on device manager and it showed up as a VGA display adaptor. It didn't do anything but it was more than I had before. But then it asked me to restart, I clicked yes, and it didn't show up anymore. I tried the steps again, but it still didn't work. Is there anyway to make it work.

Hi guys I recently ordered a EXP GDC BEAST , the one with two switches . I connected the my PC 500w PSU to the adapter. My laptop is Acer timeline 4830t with unlocked bios. Sandybridge i7. The fan of the PSU spins and the GPU which is HD5770 spins as well . However my PC cannot recognize the GPU, I have tried using the delay switches with no luck , i have tried on hp pavillion laptop and also another acer laptop.

Any help please anyone ?

Hi, I bought an EXP GCD BEAST from banggood. Today I can pick it up at the post office. Curious about this low priced piece of hardware.

My laptop is a very nice HP elitebook 8440p i7 version. I have a 30" NEC monitor 2560x1600. The laptop runs this resolution, which is very nice for photo's, but games are too heavy.

I use a docking station now to connect keyboard, mouse, lan, is that a problem together with Exp gcd?

I don't have a graphics card yet, any recommendations?

Hi, I bought an EXP GCD BEAST from banggood. Today I can pick it up at the post office. Curious about this low priced piece of hardware.

My laptop is a very nice HP elitebook 8440p i7 version. I have a 30" NEC monitor 2560x1600. The laptop runs this resolution, which is very nice for photo's, but games are too heavy.

I use a docking station now to connect keyboard, mouse, lan, is that a problem together with Exp gcd?

I don't have a graphics card yet, any recommendations?

A few people have added an eGPU successfully to the same laptop

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-251.html#post78643

I'm not too sure whether or not using a docking station will interfere with native laptop ports. As for a graphics card, since you seem like you'll be using an external display, you have no need for Nvidia Optimus. In that case, you should go with something from AMD, which is typically cheaper and seems to perform better as an eGPU. You should wait a few months until AMD and Nvidia release their new flagships, which is when the Great Price Wars of 2015 will begin (or so i hurr).

The best option would probably be to upgrade your laptop, though. Since it only has mPCI-e gen 1, you won't be seeing very good performance unless you get x2 working.

A few people have added an eGPU successfully to the same laptop

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-251.html#post78643

I'm not too sure whether or not using a docking station will interfere with native laptop ports. As for a graphics card, since you seem like you'll be using an external display, you have no need for Nvidia Optimus. In that case, you should go with something from AMD, which is typically cheaper and seems to perform better as an eGPU. You should wait a few months until AMD and Nvidia release their new flagships, which is when the Great Price Wars of 2015 will begin (or so i hurr).

The best option would probably be to upgrade your laptop, though. Since it only has mPCI-e gen 1, you won't be seeing very good performance unless you get x2 working.

Thx. I had no idea about the PCI express version differences. Had to look it up couldn't find it at HP specs but HWiNFO tells me it has Version 1.1 at 2,5Gb/s and Maximum Link Width: 1x

AMD yes interesting because I was focussed towards Nvidia who my friends all recommend these days. I got an AMD 6970 in an old pc which is a good card only it has a water block cooling. Not so convenient for external use but i can try to make something of it. I could try some cards from friends. Not in a hurry to buy something new.

Oh and the Beast has arrived here in Netherlands with no added tax. There is no manual or description just the block, expresscard and three cables.

Hi does anyone else have the EXP GCD beast (mine is version 8.3A), do you have both blue and red leds light up ? For some reason mine only light up the red led . Also I think my power supply may have damaged the card , the cables started heating up and i smelt a burning smell

Hi does anyone else have the EXP GCD beast (mine is version 8.3A), do you have both blue and red leds light up ? For some reason mine only light up the red led . Also I think my power supply may have damaged the card , the cables started heating up and i smelt a burning smell

Hmm did you plug in your PSU's 8 pin PCI-e adapter into the EXP GDC?

You're suppposed to use the included cable to connect with the PSU's 24-pin main connector and 4-pin CPU connector. Then plug the 8 pin of the cable into the EXP GDC.

I didn't but I think I plugged in the wrong 4 pin connector , at first i plugged in the 4 pin connector with red ,black , orange and yellow color . This caused the cables to heat up and burning plastic , the gpu and psu didnt spin . I disconnected it when this happened, then I connected the 4 pin connector with just yellow and black , this worked and there was no heating or burning smell. The fan and psu started to spin and the red led lit up . There is another blue led which doesn't light up anymore.

Hi all, sorry if this has been answered before. I have just made an account and have never posted here before i hope you can help.

I am currently on roughly page 35 of reading this thread but have not found the answer.

I have a dell XPS L502X

Windows 7 32-bit

Intel i7-2860QM

8GB RAM

Internal GT540M video card

I have recently purchased the EXP GDC Beast from banggood. I have a Corsair CX600M power supply and a Gforce GTX580 1.5TB

Now to the problem. I have connected the PSU to the EXP GDC using the supplied adaptor (ATX cable), i have used the cable to attach to the 6 pin on the side and the 6 + 8 pin in the top of the video card.

The connection i have is the mini pci-e adapter that i have put into where the wireless card used to be. And the GPU is connected to a monitor.

When i turn on my laptop the lights on the EXP GDC turn on for a second and both the fan on the power supply and the video card turn for a second. Then they both switch off.

I have tested this on my VAIO laptop as well and the same things happends (thought it mite be some dell BS)

Quite honestly any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated, thank you.

Had the same problem the exp gdc beast adapter is faulty , I ordered the PE4C-PM100C shortly after i spent many days trying to get the beast working with no avail. The pe4c worked after installing drivers although i got the code 12 error i uninstalled the ethernet driver which fixed the error

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo friends!

I recently bought the EXP GDC Beast and am having some issues with it. Here are the specs:

Lenovo Yoga 13

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel i5-3337U 1.8GHz

8GB Ram

EXP GDC Beast (not sure the version, has a blue and a white LED)

Dell D220P-01 Power Supply

ATI AMD HD RADEON 5870 (I know it's old)

So I can get both LEDs to light up, and the fan on the GPU spinning, but my laptop doesn't pick up any display adapters. The USB port on the Beast also does not function. I have installed the 5870's drivers on the laptop, but it doesn't even see the adapter, am I missing software or something?

post-34052-14494999666276_thumb.jpg