EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Has someone tried to power GTX760 with the Dell DA-2? I've ordered the EXP GDC Beast (still waiting to arrive) and Gigabyte GTX760 and I'm wondering - should I buy the passive dell adapter which is 220W or go with a more powerful regular ATX power supply?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys I have ordered and received Ares V7 expresscard set with ATX power cable. The setup was fine, but I encountered a problem.

I have setup my egpu with the following:

- Ares V7

- Expresscard with HDMI

- ASUS striker gtx 760 platinum 4gb

- SFX ST45SF-G (Silverstonetek 450W power supply)

Laptop Specs (Fujitsu SH560):

- i5-540M

- Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center

- 8 GB Ram

- Only have dGPU (Nvidia Geforce 310M)

Problem: (EGPU was not detected in Windows)

I setup the egpu with everything plugged in and power switched on.

When I turned on my laptop, the egpu started up. and my graphics card have a green label ROG lighted up.

However, when i booted into windows, there was nothing detected. Not even on device manager.

Tried hotplugging, 'sleep' the laptop and restarted it. But it was to no avail. I do not have other device to test this setup.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Can setup 1.X help to solve this issue?

Thanks

Updated:

used PE4C 2.1 with esetup 1.x

Edited by Trailert
Update

hi i really need some help

i just bought a exp gdc beast PCIE

i plug in my sapphire 7790 graphic card

only the blue and white led is on

the fan is working on the graphic card

please help me

the instruction book i got is in Chinese and i don't read Chinese

Help Please !... I Have Dell N5110, And When I Plugged Ares v7.0 in My Laptop And All Done,when EXP turned on before I boot up, it won't start.

If I boot my laptop first then turn it on, my computer will work. However it doesn't show up in device manager,

Help Please !... I Have Dell N5110, And When I Plugged Ares v7.0 in My Laptop And All Done,when EXP turned on before I boot up, it won't start.

If I boot my laptop first then turn it on, my computer will work. However it doesn't show up in device manager,

i have exactly the same problem with my beast now and its still not solved . the graphic card wont be detected i dont know why with my sapphire 7790

email me [email protected] to talk more

anyone have any solutions? i tried DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 still doesnt work cause it does not detect the graphic card

thanks in advance

There is a tiny slider switch on the left side of the EXP GDC like shown below.

SKU149984-51.jpg

V7 having only the CD 6s delay. Move it into the right position to provide a 6s PCI Reset Delay mechanism during cold bootup. That should allow the system to boot with the eGPU powered on. If it's still not detect then you have a mPCIe whitelisting issue and should bootup with the wifi card in the mPCIe slot, halt Win7/8 with F8/F12 and hotplug the mPCIe end in the mPCIe slot and continue OS load.

i don't know if anyone will see this but i have a question,

i have a Samsung NP300E5C and i was wondering if the exp gdc beast would work with this laptop and if it does, what are all the parts that i need?

U will just need PSU, GPU and that exp gdc ^^

Hello, I have a Sony Vaio SVE14125CLW

CPU i5 3210m with a HM76 chipset and 8 GB RAM 1600MHZ Impact HyperX 2x4GB CL 9 and has a dedicated card apart from the integrated AMD Radeon 7500M / 7600M Series with 1GB VRAM, is supposedly a port PCI Express x16 according CPUZ and AIDA64, anyway…

is it compatible with this EXP GDC?

What is the best and / or most recent, Ares, Beast?

Will there bottleneck if I want to place an NVIDIA GTX 680?

I hope you can answer, although not all but gradually to clear up doubts, thanks in advance.

I've just received my EXP GDC Beast card and I can confirm that the package includes everything pictured by @Tech Inferno Fan above: 1. EXP GDC Beast 2. Power cable for regular ATX power supply 3. Y-shaped power cable - 6pins on one side - 6pin/8pin on the other (the black/yellow cable) 4. HDMI->ExpressCard cable The package was ordered through aliexpress and arrived for exactly one month (from China to Eastern Europe).

The setup that I'm using is this: 1. Thinkpad X220 - 2x4GB memory, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2. EXP GDC Beast 3. Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 760 Windforce (2GB model) 4. Dell DA-2 PSU

Now, the fun part - on top of all that HW runs OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. This is the thing that worried me the most as I was not able to find similar setup that would confirm that this could work out. But after receiving the package my worries quickly fade away :-). In fact, now that I've put it together, I've come to realize that this setup actually made things much easier as I'm already using bootloader that modifies the laptop DSDT (for the OS X to work on top of it). In the end these were the steps that enabled me to use the GPU (pretty trivial, but I've write them down as the setup is not common):

1. Assemble the EXP GDC + GPU (both jumpers stay at default OFF state) 2. Connect the Y-shaped cable on the 6pin side to the EXP GDC and both other ends to both 6pin power inputs of the GPU 3. Connect the Dell DA-2 to the 8pin input on EXP GDC and to power source (at this point the PSU led should turn orange for "standby") 4. Power on the laptop and modify the bootloader configuration - in my case I've only needed to enable "Nvidia inject" in the graphics section of Clover configuration as I'm using it as boot loader 5. Power off the laptop 6. Connect the HDMI->ExpressCard cable at both ends 7. Power on the laptop (at this point the DA-2 led should turn green and the GPU fans should spin up automatically) 8. Connect external display to GPU 9. Enjoy!

According the OS X "System report" this is the relevant information that I see:

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Type: GPU[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Bus: PCIe[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Slot: PCI Slot 0[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] PCIe Lane Width: x1[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] VRAM (Total): 2048 MB[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Device ID: 0x1187[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] Revision ID: 0x00a2[/FONT] [FONT=Helvetica Neue] ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0[/FONT]

For the 1day that I'm using it I can confirm that there are no power related issues - reboots or glitches - DELL DA-2 seems to be powerful enough for this card. Also I can confirm that the DA-2 makes cracking noise when the GPU is under load - I don't know where it comes from, but it exists and is loud enough to hear it. Performance wise I've run some quick tests and these are the results (rendered on the external display):

Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1680x1050 8xAA fullscreen
Preset Custom
Quality Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Unigine Valley 1532
Unigine Heaven 697

Although I'm pretty impressed that this setup actually worked, I'm willing to further push it and thus I would like to ask a couple of questions about the software configuration as the information that I found for the OS X/eGPU setups is scattered (event the MacBook Experience thread is mostly for Windows on top of Macs): 1. How can I enable (is it possible at all?) rendering of the internal display through the eGPU? 2. Do I need to install additional CUDA/nVidia drivers - although it is working all the guides that I've read about OS X include installation of both packages 3. Is it possible to disable internal display when using the external display through eGPU 4. Is it possible for the "PCIe Lane Width" to be increased from x1?

I know that some of these questions are slightly off topic, so please disregard them if they are not relevant to this thread.

Hello guys,

i can´t get Optimus to work on my Thinkpad L430 :( . I´m getting an PCIE 1.1 Connection and i can install the nvidia verde drivers an everything works except Optimus. Does anyone has a solution for this?

I´m using the Beast from Banggood and a GTX 470.

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up the V7 adapter, but I cannot find a decent guide for it. My GPU is way too powerful to use a regular power supply brick, so I'm using one made for a desktop PC. The GPU card is also way too big to connect the cables from the adapter to the card itself, so I have to use the extra cables from the PSU I assumed? Can anyone please point or give a decent guide to me? GPU is an AMD HD 7990, and the PSU is a 550W PSU.

hi .. i bougth one Exp v7 Ares... from banggood.com

this one EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

the version is the mPCIE. i have the next question...

i have this configuration

system AMD APU 3400M

8 Gb RAM

hdd 250Gb SSD

Win8

Toshiba Satellite L755D

i remove the wireless card and connect the mPCIe on the port

conect my Exp v7 and one Video Card Radeon HD 6050 2Gb PowerColor

i have a PSU CoolerMaster 600 and connect the PSU to the adapters and the Exp v7

turn on my laptop...

the card power on... i can see because the fan is working

my system start

i can see the desktop on my system but dont appears my eGPU in the Device Manager...

is how if the system dont recognize the card..

what can i do.. to respect..

thx for your time

greetings...

pd.. sorry i dont have very much practice on my english

post-25235-14494999233691_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of EXPGDC v6.0 and EXPGDC Beast.

I've notice that EXPRESSCARD to HDMI Cables are paired with adapters.When I switched cables between them (I've connect exphdmi cable from expgdc v6.0 to beast and inversely) the Graphics Card run, fan starts to spin, green light on Dell DA-2 PSU, Blue light on EXP Adapter ... BUT Card haven't been recognized any more in DEVMGR. When a switch everything back to order, Card was again successfully visible in DEVMGR. There are no visible differences between them. Just middle section of cable (flat data cord) was signed by different producer.

Test Setup:

Thinkpad T430

BIOS: 2.66

i5 3320m

dGPU: NVS5400

iGPU: HD4000

WIN8.1 PRO UEFI BIOS

EGPU:

1 GTX 660ti MSI 192 BIT

2 Quadro 2000 PNY 128 BIT

forceware 347.09

Both cards are P&P setup on external monitor.

Unfortunately I haven't make it work in internal mode :(

in DEVMGR a have 3 fully working cards:

HD 4000

NVS 5400

GTX 660ti/Quadro 2000

Hello guys,

i can´t get Optimus to work on my Thinkpad L430 :( . I´m getting an PCIE 1.1 Connection and i can install the nvidia verde drivers an everything works except Optimus. Does anyone has a solution for this?

I´m using the Beast from Banggood and a GTX 470.

<strike> try that DIY eGPU experiences - Page 52 </strike> -> That is the ultramon method, not Optimus. Disable your dGPU and ensure the iGPU is the primary boot device to get Optimus functionality. Switch the expresscard slot to "Gen2" or "Auto" in the BIOS to enable Gen2 mode, something that will only show as PCIe 2.x in GPU-Z when it's under load.

Does somebody know what is the type of the connector that is used by the Dell DA-2 PSU? I bought a regular 8 Pin Male To Female PCIE GPU extension cable, but it is not a match. I need the extension because the DA-2 cable is too stiff and it does not bend enough and cannot be fitted in the place where I'm trying to insert the whole eGPU setup.