ProBook 6470b Gen2 simply not working

Uftherr

Hello,

I'm new here, some guy in the notebookreview Forums told me to come here to the "official eGPU-forums", so here I am :) This is just a copy-paste from the other thread, I hope you don't mind. So...

I've got a Problem with my eGPU set, which consists of a GTX 570, a 500W PSU and the PE4L 2.1b adapter. It works quite well when not setting the Speed to Gen2. Its very laggy, though. The bad Thing is, I cannot set it up to work 1.2. Everytime I boot into Windows, I get bluescreens, blackscreens or the Notebook just freezes. Setup 1.x didn't help. I tried every compaction method, hot reset, forcing gen2, but it seems my Notebook does not want it.

My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, the latest stable nvidia Drivers are installed.

Here the System specs:

i5 3340m / HD 4000 / 8GB DDR3 1600MHz / 180GB SSD

I hope I cand find help here, 'cause I'm about to throw my Notebook out of the Windows and toss some explosives on it tongue2.gif

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Uftherr

P.S. Sorry for the weird use of capital letters, but the Internet Explorer feels like Auto correcting everything... I have no idea how to turn off that Thing.

If Gen1 works but Gen2 doesn't then it indicates a electrical link problem. Certainly, I did see very slow bootup times and stuttering eGPU graphics with an early test version of PE4L 2.1 due to presumably signal crosstalk between poorly shielded wires. I'd suggest the first course of action would be to seek a replacement PE4L 2.1b in case it does have faulty wiring. Something you could confirm by testing on another Gen2 capable system like a 2560P/2570P, 8460P/8470P, 6460b/6470b, 8560P/8570P, 6560b/6570b.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I buy the PE4H 3.2, I'd like to ask if it really can be the bad wires causing the problems.

I noticed that GEN2 works for a while, I can pretty much do everything for 5-10 minutes in Windows, but then the driver (335.23) crashes and resets all the time, the screen switching from the external monitor to the internal display (if I'm lucky enough not to get a bluescreen).

This also happens when I start a game (like Risen 2), play it and then close it.

Could it be a driver problem? I simply do not understand what causes these problems, and I don't want to "waste" my money on another adapter just to recieve the same issues.

Offtopic: MW3 lags quite a lot and Risen 2 lags in the menu but ingame it's quite playable. I guess it's because of the low bandwith, am I right?

And I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU from a i5 3340M Dual-Core to a i7 3630QM or even a i7 3940XM. Do you think the CPU could overheat in a 14" case? I am aware that I might need to buy a bigger PSU as the TDP is higher.

Thank you very much in advance!

Before I buy the PE4H 3.2, I'd like to ask if it really can be the bad wires causing the problems.

I noticed that GEN2 works for a while, I can pretty much do everything for 5-10 minutes in Windows, but then the driver (335.23) crashes and resets all the time, the screen switching from the external monitor to the internal display (if I'm lucky enough not to get a bluescreen).

This also happens when I start a game (like Risen 2), play it and then close it.

Could it be a driver problem? I simply do not understand what causes these problems, and I don't want to "waste" my money on another adapter just to recieve the same issues.

Offtopic: MW3 lags quite a lot and Risen 2 lags in the menu but ingame it's quite playable. I guess it's because of the low bandwith, am I right?

And I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU from a i5 3340M Dual-Core to a i7 3630QM or even a i7 3940XM. Do you think the CPU could overheat in a 14" case? I am aware that I might need to buy a bigger PSU as the TDP is higher.

Thank you very much in advance!

Yes, poor wiring or impedance matching could be the problem. Turns out I had one user with a PE4L 2.1b who had great Gen2 results on his system but when he updated his video card found it only worked reliably at Gen1 speed. So it could be the video card too. Though if the PE4L 2.1b had better wiring that should not be a problem.

45W i7-3740QM or i7-3840QM is recommended as a quad-core upgrade for the Elitebooks. We found a i7-3940XM is chipset limited to 45W so will see no gains over these other CPUs. Details at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I have 6470b also. I'm running GTX 1060 6GB on EXP GDC V7 (Expresscard) with XFX 550W PSU and haven't tested gen1 but It's unstable at gen2 speed. When I game the screen goes black for like 3 seconds then it goes back to desktop (Windows 7) With Nvidia kernel driver... message popping sometimes. I'm using it for two weeks so it's hard for me to tell where's the issue, tested already on three different PSU's (400W, 500W and now on XFX 550W) Sometimes I game for couple hours and it's stable and sometimes it hits very often after 5, 10 minutes even.

My system specs:

MOBO - QM77

CPU - i7-2860QM

RAM - 16 GB

IGPU - HD3000

PCIE HARDWARE - WWAN Broadband adapter

DSDT Override - YES

eGPU SETUP 1.3 - I only set PCI COMPACTION to EGPU then 32 bit to NONE and thats it, on this setting it lastet for 2 hours of heavy gaming and then black screen - 3 seconds - desktop.

Fix: It was EXP GDC V8 my bad.

Ok I did all the steps necessary I think. Gigabyte have returned my Graphics and they said the card was working correctly during they tests. I've sent an email to bagget.com customerservice. Hope they will send me a new correct EXP GDC adapter then.

Edited by bercik
EXP GDC version fix and adding my new research to te story

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.