Nothing showing up on screen after changing CPU Cooler

Hey guys,

I upgraded to the Corsair H50 cooler and now nothing is showing up on screen. At first after changing it everything boots up fine and loaded into windows but the next day nothing is showing up on screen. I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly. I've tried resetting CMOS. Changing the RAM slots made it boot into windows but when I shut it down and tried turning it on again it will not.

I'm using:

XFX 680i LT mobo

Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz G0

GTS 250 512MB XFX

SLI OCZ RAM 4 (2x2) GB PC6400

750watts OCZ

Please help

Ok I just tried it with the first stick. Now it's on. But we still have a problem. When I tried the first stick in the first 2 slots it did not show anything on the screen. So does that mean the mobo is busted with the first 2 slots?

Edit:

Ok wtf I got into the bios and saw that the CPU got to 112C before it shut down. CPU Cooler failing? Why? The only thing I changed was zip tying it to the CPU Power cable.

Edit 2:

WTF! After quickly setting up the bios (boot priorities etc.) and saving now the CPU cooler is working (at 37C)...

Edited by ragingazn628

First two slots meaning the two closest to the socket, or the closest one and it's partner at #3?

Might be dead slots, just have to try each stick in each slot. BTW write it down as you do it, annoying as hell to get 90% of the way through and lose track.

Ok, that seems fairly definitive to me then...

Maybe you shorted something when installing the H50?

I know it's a hassle, but I'd be going through the case with a fine tooth comb checking and rechecking everything.

If no luck it may be new board time.:72:

I've gotta get some sleep, been up for 21 hours, I'll try to help when I wake up if there's anything more I can do for you it's no problem.

• Founder

If the memory slot isn't working in dual channel but it is in slots 3 & 4 then it sounds like a motherboard issue. Did you set all your bios settings to default yet?

• 1 year later...

What I usualy do when something like this arises is run each stick through Slot #1 and #3 if it's dual or one stick at a time in #1 and run Memcheck to verify the sticks are ok. You can also perform this check in other sockets to test those as well. It's not often that changing the CPU Cooler damamges the RAM/Socket unless you bump them pretty hard.