Is it possible to hack a GTX 780ti to work like a Quadro?

Markey50

I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use. To me, this doesn't make any sense; why would I downgrade my already powerful GTX 780ti's (in three way SLI: overkill? Yes, I'm aware. But why the hell not?) for something not nearly as powerful, the Quadro 5000, and spend over $1000 on one graphics card? I've been reading about ways to crack the 660 into working, or at least reading, like a Workstation card, but is there a way to do it on something as recent as the 780ti? I'd still like to be able to retain the gaming capabilities of my PC but also, you know, succeed in college and not spend a fortune on another graphics card when I have 3 perfectly good ones in my machine already?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use. To me, this doesn't make any sense; why would I downgrade my already powerful GTX 780ti's (in three way SLI: overkill? Yes, I'm aware. But why the hell not?) for something not nearly as powerful, the Quadro 5000, and spend over $1000 on one graphics card? I've been reading about ways to crack the 660 into working, or at least reading, like a Workstation card, but is there a way to do it on something as recent as the 780ti? I'd still like to be able to retain the gaming capabilities of my PC but also, you know, succeed in college and not spend a fortune on another graphics card when I have 3 perfectly good ones in my machine already?

Have you considered the costs of the branding "Quadro" and the actual hardware that goes into the Quadros? Recent desktop Quadros use ECC (error correcting code) chips not found in the usual GeForce series. ECC is necessary for preventing computational errors from occurring (read about ECC memory here). As Tech Inferno Fan pointed out, you could probably trick a GeForce GPU into believing it is a Tesla (Quadro). But I wouldn't expect the same as NVIDIA also nerfed the computational abilities of double precision of GeForces.

" I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use"

Hello Markey50

What programs ? I use Revit, Autocad, 3ds max - runs better on Geforce than Quadro - at least current 2014 and 2015 ... only old version up to 2011 had accelerated Quadro drivers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Late on 90s was possible to softmod some GeForce 2/3 card into Quadro ones. I've done it my Asus GeForce2 GTS V7700, but honestly did'nt saw improvments comparing with a real Quadro display adapter.

I can't talk about hardmods because my skills with eletronics suck. Sorry :(

Regards,