Markey50

Is it possible to hack a GTX 780ti to work like a Quadro?

I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use. To me, this doesn't make any sense; why would I downgrade my already powerful GTX 780ti's (in three way SLI: overkill? Yes, I'm aware. But why the hell not?) for something not nearly as powerful, the Quadro 5000, and spend over $1000 on one graphics card? I've been reading about ways to crack the 660 into working, or at least reading, like a Workstation card, but is there a way to do it on something as recent as the 780ti? I'd still like to be able to retain the gaming capabilities of my PC but also, you know, succeed in college and not spend a fortune on another graphics card when I have 3 perfectly good ones in my machine already?

I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use. To me, this doesn't make any sense; why would I downgrade my already powerful GTX 780ti's (in three way SLI: overkill? Yes, I'm aware. But why the hell not?) for something not nearly as powerful, the Quadro 5000, and spend over $1000 on one graphics card? I've been reading about ways to crack the 660 into working, or at least reading, like a Workstation card, but is there a way to do it on something as recent as the 780ti? I'd still like to be able to retain the gaming capabilities of my PC but also, you know, succeed in college and not spend a fortune on another graphics card when I have 3 perfectly good ones in my machine already?

Have you considered the costs of the branding "Quadro" and the actual hardware that goes into the Quadros? Recent desktop Quadros use ECC (error correcting code) chips not found in the usual GeForce series. ECC is necessary for preventing computational errors from occurring (read about ECC memory here). As Tech Inferno Fan pointed out, you could probably trick a GeForce GPU into believing it is a Tesla (Quadro). But I wouldn't expect the same as NVIDIA also nerfed the computational abilities of double precision of GeForces.

" I'm an architecture student going into College and I've been informed by my professors that I need to purchase a Quadro graphics card in order to run the hardware acceleration in the drafting programs we use"

Hello Markey50

What programs ? I use Revit, Autocad, 3ds max - runs better on Geforce than Quadro - at least current 2014 and 2015 ... only old version up to 2011 had accelerated Quadro drivers

I have recently modified an EVGA GTX 780TI, by adding an 18K Ohm resistor to the board. Now the driver recognizes it as Quadro K6000.

The detailed method can be found in that EEVBlog link.

Late on 90s was possible to softmod some GeForce 2/3 card into Quadro ones. I've done it my Asus GeForce2 GTS V7700, but honestly did'nt saw improvments comparing with a real Quadro display adapter.

I can't talk about hardmods because my skills with eletronics suck. Sorry :(

Regards,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BAKED
      BAKED BIOS FOR TM, KM, DM, P6, P4 SERIES with most menus and options unlocked.

THESE BIOS MODS ARE ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

NEW:
      I'VE BEEN BUSY WITH SOME STUFF PLUS MY SYSTEM HASN'T BEEN WORKING FOR SOME TIME BUT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTINUE MY WORK SOON 

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON V3.0 WHICH WILL INCLUDE UPDATED UEFI DRIVERS, MICROCODE BIOS SCREEN SHOT SUPPORT AMISCE SUPPORT(For some models) PLUS MORE. 
      I'M ALSO WORKING ON MODS FOR OTHER MODELS TOO.
      ALL TM, KM AND DM SERIES ARE V2.0 AND NOW HAVE WINDOWS FLASHER INSTEAD, JUST EXTRACT AND RUN FLASH.BAT

WARNING! BIOS FLASHING IS RISKY SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE PROCEEDING. 
      FLASHING THE WRONG BIOS OR INTERRUPTING THE FLASHING PROCESS WILL BRICK YOUR SYSTEM! 
      USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

TM, KM AND DM SERIES

P6 AND P4 SERIES

INSTRUCTIONS
        IF YOU LIKE MY WORK FEEL FRE TO BUY ME A COFFEE   ENJOY!
    • By Edrc
      Hello,

I am new on this forum, so I am sorry if posting at the wrong place. It's been 2 weeks that I am searching how to make my GTX 980M 8GB working Inside my Alienware 17 R1 (June 2014, i7 4710MQ, 60 Herts Display, OPTIMUS and the GTX 880M Inside died.)
      After "quickly" looking some forums, I saw that a 980M would easily fit Inside … but maybe I was wrong.

Hardware wasn't a problem. I've also could install drivers by modding the nvdmi or nvcvi. inf files. The card was recognied BUT :
      the clock speed is locked a 135 or 405 Mherts and fan is not runing when booted up.
      I tried to flash vBios with nvflash and some ROM I found on vBios collection … but no way to get this working properly.

So, i'm coming here. I've seen many people talking about Prema or svl7 or other big boss in the place … but ? how ? where ? when ?

Inside the peripherial manager I have this in remote acces path : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1\4&D590A51&0&0008
      So I assume my GTX 980M card ID is 1617 and vendor and PC Model are 05AA 1028.
      But near the "Standard Microsoft Video Card" there is a yellow exclamation point and Inside details it says "this peripherial doesn't work properly" when no Nvidia drivers installed.
      I could find some vBios with 1617 (Asus) but black screen at boot up. Since laptop model where not the same .. probably.
      And I wasn't able to find 1617 with the existing 05AA 1028 … as the GTX 980M was not an option for my model. (AW 17 R1 2014 ,60Herts)
      I tried 353.60, 382.33 and 419.35 drivers. The latest one seems easier to install but longer.

BIOS is A16 from Dell. And I am using Windows 10. Got a Dell 330W brick. 

I saw a guy with the exact model as me, he gets a modded vBios especially for his configuration, then everything worked easily … but can't find the topic again

I guess depending on the card info and the laptop model … a dedicated vBios is required … 

So, If anyone here got some informations or any kind of help for me, it would be very nice.

Thanks for reading and help.  

PS: there are a lot of files, pictures and links that I can't see on this forum .. even after registration …. 

• By Shuren
      Hello Thank You for taking time to read this...i got Clevo w550eu i would love if someone give me unlocked/Modded Bios for it ...thanks again
    • By picardilly
      Hey guys, I am Grga and i am new here. I rarely use forums but i am desperate in this case.
      So, as i have seen many of you have had the issue with obsolete BIOS versions for clevo P7xxZM machines,
      So i would like to hear your experiences and how you went about it. 
      I have recently bought an ssd Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2. From which i would like to boot the windows10.
      Little did i know that there was no support for that kind of protocol in the BIOS or that there is such thing as UEFI (for which i am still not sure what that is exactly, except some kind of successor of BIOS).
      So i did a bit of research and updated my Bios and ec to 1.03.15 and 1.03.09 respectively for which i understand is the last available official release. I changed to uefi mode with secure boot disabled etc... in short i did everything that my (limited) knowledge about these things allowed me to do (and the sweat of excitement and fear when i was flashing the bios for the first time in my life). But, alas, it all yielded no success,  and now i am lost. I have really no idea what to do, and whom to ask for help except for you guys here. The only thing that i understand worked for some of you is when you mentioned a wizard named @Prema so therefore i will try to do the same....
    • By Sarafan
      Does anyone have experience with this?

Some threads I've seen have done it on a 17 inch laptop, I was wondering if it was possible on the 15 inch version as well.

What issues will I face? I read about having to have a custom BIOS and vBIOS..but also HDMI/audio issues.

I guess I should also upgrade my CPU, which runs really hot (i7 4800MQ), but not sure another Haswell chip will run any cooler.

I've used liquid metal and even that hasn't changed temperatures much, it still reaches 93C pretty easily.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.