Overclocking a 2530p under linux

Hi Nando4,

I lot of things have changed in my HP Elitebook 2530p lately. This last month, the L9600-based mainboard I used for the last 6 month has stopped charging battery... now, this same mainboard discharges batteries in few minutes. Since schematics avalaible for this system doesn't include the charging circuitry, the only remaining choice was to put another mainboard. So, today, I managed to replace it with an unused U9300 (1,2GHz) system board. Everything works well now, battery charges, etc....

Except that performances are really not the same.

I read about the mod you proposed here and in NBR. I found a similar hardware mod solution (I find it slightly simpler) to pull down FLSB2 and TME pins of the PLL, see the red and pink shunts shown in the photo below :

post-18740-14494997508097_thumb.jpg

The red one is for shunting the pin2 of the PLL to GND. It changes the FSB freq. from 200 to 266 MHz.

The pink mark is for the TME-unlock.

Since I'm under linux, I would like to try the tricks using lfsb-ics9lprs397.tgz but the link is private. Is it possible for you to share this file with me ?

Hi Nando4,

I lot of things have changed in my HP Elitebook 2530p lately. This last month, the L9600-based mainboard I used for the last 6 month has stopped charging battery... now, this same mainboard discharges batteries in few minutes. Since schematics avalaible for this system doesn't include the charging circuitry, the only remaining choice was to put another mainboard. So, today, I managed to replace it with an unused U9300 (1,2GHz) system board. Everything works well now, battery charges, etc....

Except that performances are really not the same.

I read about the mod you proposed here and in NBR. I found a similar hardware mod solution (I find it slightly simpler) to pull down FLSB2 and TME pins of the PLL, see the red and pink shunts shown in the photo below :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11424[/ATTACH]

The red one is for shunting the pin2 of the PLL to GND. It changes the FSB freq. from 200 to 266 MHz.

The pink mark is for the TME-unlock.

Since I'm under linux, I would like to try the tricks using lfsb-ics9lprs397.tgz but the link is private. Is it possible for you to share this file with me ?

Sorry to hear your L9600 systemboard didn't make it. Yeah, U9300 is a significant step down in performance. Dual-IDA+overclocked L9600 can nearly hit 3Ghz. I'd be curious what you can get your U9300 to. With the tme-unlock you can see what stable point you can get it to using x7 dual-IDA multiplier and unlocked voltage. If you apply the FSLx mod (200->266) then you'd be limited to x6 and 0.9V only. With some luck you'd be able to hit 1.9Ghz or maybe more.

In an case, here's lfsb-ics9lprs397 .

Please elaborate on what you did with the pink and purple resistors. The 2530P TME-unlock mod I proposed simply pulled down the TME pin, without altering any other logic levels beyond that point. I did that to ensure no side effects from the mod.

Please elaborate on what you did with the pink and purple resistors. The 2530P TME-unlock mod I proposed simply pulled down the TME pin, without altering any other logic levels beyond that point. I did that to ensure no side effects from the mod.

The modifications I made are nothing different than you, "electrically speaking".

Both coloured marks are unused footprints for 402 smd devices. I have verified that the left pads of both 402 smd are connected to GND.

- On the red footprint, the right pad is straightly routed to pin2 of the PLL chip (it can be verified on the system board schematic, p16).

- The right pad of the pink footprint is connected to a 22 ohm resistor (the device at the right hand side of the mark), which is connected to the TME pin of the PLL.

The only remaining thing to do is to short both pins of each footprint using an iron and some solder. No resistor to add, no wire... Very simple !

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will revert the mod on pin2 and try software overclocking using the file you shared.

One more question : do you know why is clock multiplier locked to x6 when pin2 tied to GND ?

The modifications I made are nothing different than you, "electrically speaking".

Both coloured marks are unused footprints for 402 smd devices. I have verified that the left pads of both 402 smd are connected to GND.

- On the red footprint, the right pad is straightly routed to pin2 of the PLL chip (it can be verified on the system board schematic, p16).

- The right pad of the pink footprint is connected to a 22 ohm resistor (the device at the right hand side of the mark), which is connected to the TME pin of the PLL.

The only remaining thing to do is to short both pins of each footprint using an iron and some solder. No resistor to add, no wire... Very simple !

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will revert the mod on pin2 and try software overclocking using the file you shared.

One more question : do you know why is clock multiplier locked to x6 when pin2 tied to GND ?

You have two ways of overclocking your CPU:

1. hardmod BSEL=266Mhz (multiplier=x6 and voltage is probably set to 0.85V) then setPLL/setfsb overclock you TME-unlocked PLL to the point of instability. Here multiplier lockout occurs when the CPU detects a BSEL other than what is designated for that CPU. It's Intel's anti-overclocking design. In your case, the CPU is designed for a 200Mhz BSEL. When the CPU sees 266, it will revert to the lowest multiplier AND lowest voltage. The voltage restriction may become a limiting factor as to how much further you can overclock. It may help you to look for the voltage regulator chip and on the systemboard and mod the VID pins to provide say 1/1.1V. Doing so will get you CPU stability at higher clocks.

(ii) TME-unlock the PLL, flash the dual-IDA modded bios, slow RAM timing using SPDTool/Thaiphoon Burner) and overclock to the point of instability (multiplier=x7 and voltage probably limited to 1.1V according to here. To get to the 1.6Ghz as is possible in (i) would mean the PLL would run at 228Mhz. Advantage here is you'd still have the ability to increase CPU voltage with Throttlestop software if that becomes the overclocking wall. If you downclock RAM (use Thaiphoon Burner/SPDTool) then if you can overclock to 266Mhz using setfsb/setPLL, then it's possible to hardmod the PLL to run at 266Mhz but with the CPU getting a 200Mhz BSEL.

The hardmod BSEL=266Mhz (with also TME unlocked) works very well without doing anything else than soldering. The CPU runs at 1.6 GHz without any effort but the lowest speed has increased from 800 MHz to 1.06 GHz.

If I understand well, the 2nd solution may allow the CPU to run at a 266MHz FSB while being detected as 200 MHz by the CPU, which then may allow me to keep the x7 multiplier ? I think I miss something in your last sentence, I don't understand why it is usefull to downclock the RAM if I know it supports 266 MHz FSB (its PC2-6400).

I disabled the red pinmod to focus on TME-unlock only. Well, this time I haven't any success up to now. Still investigating but it seems that the PLL is not detected on the i2c bus. I use Ubuntu gnome 13.04 and the dual-IDA modded bios.

Here is what I have done, getting inspiration from this link (I verified that the correct register was still #FED1F418h with U9x00 CPU. I also verified its default value at startup in grub = #3380009h) :

1. Activate smbus in /boot/grub/grub.cfg by adding

write_dword 0xFED1F418 0x3380001

2. I checked it is activated using

# lspci | grep -i smbus
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)

3. Installed drivers for smbus

# modprobe i2c_dev
# modprobe i2c_i801

4. Installed the archive containing lfsb in /usr/local/bin

# /usr/local/bin/lfsb/./lfsb-x64 -y ics9lprs397 266
-------------------------------------------------------------
CPU frequency : 399.63 MHz (estimated)
PLL ics9lprs397 is supported.
Changing to:
FSB=266 MHz
Can't change frequency, SetFSB error: No such device or address
CPU frequency : 344.74 MHz (estimated)
FSB=266 MHz
------------------------------------------------------------

It seems impossible to change FSB.

5. The command ls /dev/i2c* list all devices on i2c bus :

# ls /dev/i2c*
/dev/i2c-0 /dev/i2c-1 /dev/i2c-2 /dev/i2c-3 /dev/i2c-4 /dev/i2c-5 /dev/i2c-6

When I scan devices in the i2c bus :

# i2cdetect -y 0
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
# i2cdetect -y 1
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 37 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 49 -- -- -- -- -- --
50: 50 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 59 -- -- -- -- -- --
# i2cdetect -y 2
50: 50 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
# i2cdetect -y 3
# i2cdetect -y 4
# i2cdetect -y 5
# i2cdetect -y 6

Nothing seems to be detected, knowing that PLL usually employs adress 0x69

Another thing. The file ics9lprs397.c included in the lfsb archive has a FSB table starting from 266 MHz up to 357 MHz. It seems that I will not be able to try any FSB between 200 and 266 MHz. Am I right ?

Yesterday, the computer was upgraded with ubuntu gnome 14.04

Still the same issue, the PLL seems not detected under linux.

The command i2cdetect -l gives the following result :

# i2cdetect -l
i2c-0 i2c i915 gmbus ssc I2C adapter
i2c-1 i2c i915 gmbus vga I2C adapter
i2c-2 i2c i915 gmbus panel I2C adapter
i2c-3 i2c i915 gmbus dpc I2C adapter
i2c-4 i2c i915 gmbus dpb I2C adapter
i2c-5 i2c i915 gmbus dpd I2C adapter
i2c-6 i2c DPDDC-D I2C adapter

Well, PLL is detected now thanks to the following kernel parameter:
acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Now, I have a newly detected i2c-7 device. As expected, the PLL is at the 0x69 adress :
# i2cdetect -l
i2c-0    i2c           i915 gmbus ssc                      I2C adapter
i2c-1    i2c           i915 gmbus vga                      I2C adapter
i2c-2    i2c           i915 gmbus panel                    I2C adapter
i2c-3    i2c           i915 gmbus dpc                      I2C adapter
i2c-4    i2c           i915 gmbus dpb                      I2C adapter
i2c-5    i2c           i915 gmbus dpd                      I2C adapter
i2c-6    i2c           DPDDC-D                             I2C adapter
i2c-7    smbus         SMBus I801 adapter at ef80          SMBus adapter

# i2cdetect -y 7 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 00: -- -- -- -- -- 08 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1d -- --

20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 2e --

40: -- -- -- -- 44 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

50: UU -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 69 -- -- -- -- -- --

When I check the PLL registers, I can confirm it is really TME-unlocked (see 26 (=#00100110b) at 0x9 offset)
# i2cdump -y 7 0x69 s 0
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f    0123456789abcdef
00: 51 aa ff ef ff dc 80 31 58 26 01 05 0d             Q?.?.??1X&???

But overclocking using lfsb tool still not work. I think it tries to write to the wrong i2c device. Now, I have to check the source code to understand how it works.
# /usr/local/bin/lfsb/./lfsb-x64 -y ics9lprs397 266
CPU frequency : 1060.04 MHz (estimated)
PLL ics9lprs397 is supported.
Changing to:
FSB=266 MHz
Can't change frequency, SetFSB error: No such device or address
CPU frequency : 1108.91 MHz (estimated)
FSB=266 MHz