Sony announce Playstation Vita, next-gen PSP gets named but not shamed

Jimbo

E3 2011 - Sony's Next-Generation Portable has had a fair bit of presence on the internet lately and today Sony has officially unveiled what the NGP will be: Playstation Vita. Playstation Vita will include what we've all heard rumors of; dual touchscreens, ARM Coretex A9 core CPU (4 cores), tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, front and rear facing cameras, etc. All of the previously rumored specs are pretty much spot on but now we're seeing the actual branding and a set of the launch games.

x19907162sonyannouncepl.jpg

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is being shown off and from what I've seen it actually looks phenomenal. Price wise it seems Sony have really hit a home run with the WiFi model setting you back $249 and the 3G model at $299.

Seriously, I've never been into portable gaming - but Sony has done an incredible job on the Vita. Uncharted: Golden Abyss looks hands-down, amazing. It has a damn smooth frame rate, touchscreen fighting, the option of using the sticks and buttons for climbing walls and in places where it makes sense, the SIXAXIS power comes into play, as well as touchscreen tapping. Very intuitive and Sony say you can "play the way you want" instead of having just one mode of controls.

It also features "painting edges", highlighting a bunch of ledges you want to climb instead of tapping individual edges. Tapping enemies for combat is included, which just looks so easy it's not funny. Tapping the weapon icon reloads, it's things like this Sony... things like this!

SOURCE

• Founder

Specs are decent but it still looks like it has slightly better graphics than PS2. Kind of a handheld PS2.5 I guess. The latest iPhones are pushing graphics that are very similar to this so I wonder how big of a splash this will have on the market? The dedicated controls for gaming is definitely welcome but I think overall their sales will be hurt by iPhone, Android and WP7.