Trying to solve 8 Beeps: BIOS with Pre-Modified settings

I have an Alienware m17x R3, 2720QM, GTX 580M, 3D, 120HZ.

Because my GTX 580M broke down, I bought a GTX 780M with Eurocom.

I followed all the steps described by J95 in GPU in the post on notebookreview

Alienware M17x R3 460M to 780M - Questions/Concerns - Page 4.

Got my card working, for a couple of days, and decided to do a clean Windows 7 install.

First thing I did, was I reset the BIOS, and blindflashed the BIOS with the unlocked A12 bios.

After that I was unable to enter in the BIOS. I get 8 Beeps and no post. LCD / or GPU faulty.

Seeing that things were working before, I find it hard to believe something really broke, but...

Anyone ideas?

I know that in order to get the card working correctly I need to enter the BIOS and do the following:

>Advanced Menu>Video Configuration

>disable IGP

>set display to PEG

> Disable the Integrated sound card

>F10 reboot

I am suspecting it had something to do with my BIOS flash.

Question:

Can the A12 Unlocked BIOS be flashed with pre-modified settings:

- disable IGP

- display to PEG

- Integrated sound card disabled.

Thanks!

I had the unlocked A12 running when my GTX 580M card was still working.

After that I installed the GTX 780M with this BIOS and a working Windows 7.

Next I encountered some problems within Windows 7, because of some interfering drivers and decided to re-install windows 7.

Along with that - which probably was my mistake - blind flashing the A12 unlocked bios.

So, I did try to flash to A08, but this did not help as well.

I did not flash to A12 ("Locked").

You think that could help?

Same thing, 8 beeps.

I need to mention that I have a 3D screen / no IGP.

I will try to reseat the LCD cable to see if that helps.

To go back to my original question: I don't remember the default values of the A12 Unlocked BIOS, but if some of the values are conflicting with my setup, could that cause the 8 beeps?

I also read about "Non-Turbo Flex Support is set to "Disabled" in the thread [solution] M18x R2 Fails POST with 8 Beeps Switching Graphics Mode from IGFX to PEG - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community.

Could it be a solution to flash to a BIOS which has the correct settings for my system? Just a thought.

You do have an IGP, what you don't have is optimus. Therefore you should be able to boot fine with the Intel HD only when the MXM GPU is removed, at least when the IGP isn't disabled. Try clearing the cmos, though not sure whether that helps in case of the R3, all the settings are probably stored in the epprom itself. Or blind flash the stock bios and try again, your system should work fine with the Intel HD only, else there's really an issue somewhere.

It should not be necessary to flash a bios with the settings pre-modified.

@JoostvanBoxmeer blind flashing is your best option, just make sure to complete the flashing process (shutdown/no restarts). Corrupted BIOS, probable cause...

The 3D model is already set to PEG, changing to SG will cause the black screen/beeping.

@svl7 I thought IGP was only available using the LVDS connector?

Houdoe

• Thumbs Up 1

The Intel HD is perfectly capable of using eDP, the only thing it can't is driving 120Hz. However a 120Hz display can also be run at 60Hz, and that works perfectly fine with the Intel HD. I don't have an R3 but I don't see any reason why the system shouldn't be able to POST without the MXM card, after all it's a switchable graphics system, the difference to the non-3d model is simply the lack of Optimus, meaning you can't switch to the Intel HD without rebooting.

The IGP is directly connected per eDP with a multiplexer, that's the beautiful thing about the AW machines, it allows you to completely turn off a certain graphics device. (Well, with a modified bios -.-).

• Thumbs Up 2

@svl7: Indeed good to know that I should be able to post without the card. Too bad that even without the card I have the 8 beep problem.

So what's next, assuming the LCD is not broken. @J95, you mention a corrupt bios. How can I solve that?

I downloaded both A08 and A12 from dell website and put it on a usb disk after renaming. to xxx.fd (using phoenix tool)

I blindflashed with both and both did not work.

You mention shutdown, no restarts.

If I remember correct, in both cases restarted and arrived in the 8 beeps again...something I did wrong?

Else, maybe it is what is is, that the LCD is broken. It does light up after the first time I flashed, so..not sure..

2BContinued...

oh ja, ook houdoe voor jou:tranquillity:

Removing the 780m (2 screws) will allow you to blind flash any version

- A12 unlocked -> rename "PAR00MEC.fd" to "PAR00X64.fd" -> copy PAR00X64.fd to a Fat32 formatted USB stick.

- Shutdown -> Remove power cord / battery and all attached devices.

- Plug the USB stick into the eSATA port.

- While holding the END key plug in the power cord -> keep holding the END key during the whole process (beeps / 2-3 shutdown)

- Install 780m.

- Power on.

- F2 -> disable the integrated sound card -> F10

Just finished changing the motherboard and giving a good clean to all the parts.

Started up without card..5 beeps and 8 beeps

Flashed the Bios to A12 Unlocked without the card...8 beeps

Put in the card...8 beeps

I think I have to conclude that my screen is really broken, or

- just the cable?? is that possible?

- memory

- processor

Any suggestions and maybe a place where to buy the original 3D 120 HZ screen / or maybe another compatible screen?

Additional note to @J95:

You mention the following:

- While holding the END key plug in the power cord -> keep holding the END key during the whole process (beeps / 2-3 shutdown)

I kept holding the END key, but the laptop kept on rebooting...what does that mean?

Yeah the R3 does this sometimes, then hold the END key until the second reboot and complete process/shutdown. This started when you decided to re-install windows and blind flash the BIOS (artifacts), so it's either a corrupted BIOS or a faulty card (vRAM/artifacts) most probable, Contact @bikaso and @link3rd both got the cards replaced from the same reseller/record-high.

Corrupt BIOS, can this be repaired?

I replaced the motherboard, and after that it had the same symptoms, 8 beeps, with or without the GPU

Is this not a sign my screen is broken?

Is there anyone who can confirm that you run the R3 with a 3D 120HZ screen without a GPU?

I want to prevent solving the wrong problem, meaning buying a screen.

Additional question(s):

I blind flashed the new motherboard to the A12 Unlocked.

Was that the right thing to do? Or should I have gone from A08 to A10 to A12 to A12 Unlocked...

Could I have ruined the motherboard or is this repairable.

The 3D model is already set to PEG so flashing is not required, still it's better for further tweaking and the included SATA III fix, it's unlikely that the problem is the screen.

So, time for a conclusion.

Today, I managed to get an external monitor.

With and without 780M GPU.

With and without the 3D screen.

I only got something on the external monitor: without the GPU (independent with or without the 3D screen) the Intel rapid storage technology, by pressing ctrl + i.

Within this utility I could not do nothing, no raid setup - mine is ahci.

Exit menu -> I see one cursor line on the external screen and starts with 8 beeps.

So I have some difficulties concluding what the problem is, and I am not in the position to test nor the GPU nor the screen, seeing I do not know anybody nearby with a similar laptop.

I still have some doubt about my flashing activities regarding the BIOS.

Is it possible I f**ed up my Motherboard with the different flashes?

I am inclined to follow my initial question, which I addressed @svl7: is it possible to flash to a BIOS with the pre-modified settings for my system, that override the current settings:

AHCI, Integrated IDT Audio disabled, IGP disabled and enabled PEG...

In order to verify if the GPU is the problem, I will start the rma process with the GPU vendor.

Also I will try to contact Dell Brazil, seeing what they can do.

Time to surrender :(

2All: Thanks for the support.

When you replaced the motherboard and powered on default settings were applied automatically (PEG) and still 8 beeps...unfortunately RMA is the only option and upgradeyourlaptop should have tested the card, even more when shipping to Brazil, 3-4 months for a working card...

• 1 month later...

OK, RMA entered and RMA finished.

Following conclusion:

Our techs have inspected your card sent in for RMA and have noted that the GPU on the card you returned to us is damaged.

The bottom corer of the supplied picture clearly shows that the die itself has been cracked. As all cards are inspected and tested before shipping, this damage could only have occurred when you installed the card. In the past when we have encounters such issues, the card was installed incorrectly and the heat sink screws where tightened on one corner too much and then when the other screws were applied the corner of the die was crushed. If all the screws were too tight then the entire Die would be damaged, not just the corner.post-17588-14494997750613_thumb.jpg

So, looks like my bad, doesn't it? Offer = to repair the die for $150.

Another question regarding pasting the card on the back, the VRAM modules that are in touch with the motherboard.

I sent this question out and got some reply on notebookreview from DanGRClose

"It's not a standard thermal pad, it was more like a thermal sponge to be honest.

If you still need the info on this I think you could order them from Dell or FrozenCPU, another option would be to stack dual 1mm thermal pads but my only concern would be heat buildup as the thermal pad isn't very porous and it could lead to additional heat being trapped between the card and mobo.

I would like to know what is the best way to paste the vram of the GTX 780M that is on the other side, against the MoBo.

Anybody suggestions?

Thanks!

Non-sense, where the hell is there a crack? Then again it's eurocom, they will always mess with you.

I don't see anything there at all. Also a lot of cards have slightly discolored die corners after a while, that's totally normal.

I would not accept that poor excuse. Though you probably can't really do anything about it.

Also - "repair the die". Eurocom, wtf. I'd never deal with them. If the die was actually cracked there would be no way to repair it.

• Thumbs Up 1