Problems with crashes mid-game

M-Low

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with their eGPU setup (TH05) crashing mid-game. I only use my eGPU setup for EvE Online (which has no problems whatsoever) and the new Elder Scrolls Online (which crashes within 5 min of gameplay). The screen just goes immediately black, without warning. Sometimes there's a little stuttering noise generated through the gpu's soundcard, but that's it. The black screen crash is unrecoverable.

The big question is: I'm wondering whether this is something to do with my particular gpu (MSI GTX670 OC) or possibly the setup bottleneck creating crashes...

I'm using a MBP with Thunderbolt 2.0, the TH05, and external monitor. I've changed the PSU to a proper Antec 450w (platinum) - so i know that's not the issue.

Is anyone else having issues with ESO??? Black screen crashes???

firstly with a power supply you have to understand that there are a lot of things thirsting for power, so my question to you would be how many hard drives are you running? what is your CPU/mobo/ram how many fans are running what kind of cpu cooler are you using and how many fans does it run? 2 if it's water cooled like the H60/80/100 by corsair, 400w seems like definitely not enough power to run your whole system with gaming in mind, I've never built a gaming PC with less than a 650w PSU the only way to see if your computer is really maxing out it's full wattage would be to get a watt meter that plugs into the wall and has a digital meter on it and if you see 400w while your playing a game your completely maxing out your psu check out the nvidia's webside for your minimum PSU requirements for that specific graphics card GeForce GTX 670 | Specifications | GeForce

Sorry for not being clear forevertrj - I'm guessing you're new to the forum... there's a lot of weird, "non-normal" stuff here that you won't see in a typical overclocking forum.

This PSU powers only the GPU and the TH05 board. 450w is overkill for this setup which would likely only need 170w for the GPU itself (GTX670 specs link) and another 10-20w for the board. I'm using the this Antec instead of my modified xbox 360 japser psu as I'm guessing it's more stable.

You might be asking about how I'm powering the cpu, ram, harddrivers, etc.? Those are housed inside a brand new MacBook Pro - which are adequately powered given the entire GPU load is off-loaded to the aforementioned setup. The MBP communicates with the external (desktop) GPU setup via a thunderbolt port.

Question regarding crashes still stands. Anyone have any insight??? Anyone experiencing ESO crashes???

Ah crap well thats no fun to hear, I have a MSI 670 as well and after a couple hours of gameplay it'll quit on me (or if I just have my computer on for a while). Though my computer restarts itself. Did this in windows 8, just upgraded to 8.1 so ill see if it does the same.3

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with their eGPU setup (TH05) crashing mid-game. I only use my eGPU setup for EvE Online (which has no problems whatsoever) and the new Elder Scrolls Online (which crashes within 5 min of gameplay). The screen just goes immediately black, without warning. Sometimes there's a little stuttering noise generated through the gpu's soundcard, but that's it. The black screen crash is unrecoverable.

The big question is: I'm wondering whether this is something to do with my particular gpu (MSI GTX670 OC) or possibly the setup bottleneck creating crashes...

I'm using a MBP with Thunderbolt 2.0, the TH05, and external monitor. I've changed the PSU to a proper Antec 450w (platinum) - so i know that's not the issue.

Is anyone else having issues with ESO??? Black screen crashes???

I found my GPU's (560 Ti + 660 Ti) to be more picky while overclocking (compared to a desktop). Do you have a non OC card at hand? (or maybe try to downclock your GPU just a little)

On the other hand I never had a blackscreen without an overclock. Last weekend my brother came by and Assetto Corsa ran literally the whole weekend without a single crash.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you @Shelltoe - always a big help. I was able to run ESO for about two hours yesterday by underclocking to the reference card (915MHz). It did, however, black screen at the end of that period.

The strange thing about this is that the GPU itself seemed fine this time, but the laptop was unresponsive. The way I know this is the laptop's keyboard lights went blank, even though my USB desktop keyboard was fine (lit up). My desktop keyboard and mouse plugs into my monitor.

I started to think that this has something to do with the laptop somehow, which is strange given it's a brand new MacBook Pro. But the laptop doesn't ever crash in other applications... so, I'm guessing that this has something to do with how the laptop communicates with the TH05 or the TH05 itself. But I'm just guessing...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Black screens?

Good question. I tried upgrading a week ago but Win8.1 didn't recognize my GPU for some strange reason. I couldn't get it to work so I reverted back to Win8.0. I wonder if this is worth pursuing further...

Interesting find on my end. So in windows 7 and windows 8, before my computer would crash the game would get extremely choppy (drop from around 60 fps to 10) for a few seconds then restart. After playing a while the other day, mid-game my framerate dropped to around 10 and I was ready for the restart, but after a couple of seconds it reverted back to normal and I was fine for the rest of the time. Still not sure, but it does seem like this is a software issue and windows 8.1 may have fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having almost identical issues to the OP.

I'm not ALWAYS getting the black screen with the "grinding to a halt" sound coming from the GPU sound. (Mine isn't black screen but instead whatever was on-screen at the time of crash stays on-screen) But that's common enough. I get "regular" crashes, too. Ones with problem reports to submit to Zenimax/Bethesda, as well as the occasional "Your display driver has stopped responding and was successfully recovered."

I, too, have 0 issues in any other applications.

I'm running a Lenovo y410p w/ 1TB mechanical HDD, 8GB RAM, nVidia GT 750M w/ 2gb GDDR5, win 8.1 64-bit, 4th gen (haswell) i7.

I have attempted many things with no beneficial effect further out than 36 hours.

This includes rolling drivers back to stock drivers that came with the laptop and incrementing them towards current. (Both Intel onboard and nVidia dedicated)

I've been told by ESO (via bug report) to "reduce settings." but I've played at settings from Ultra High to Low, and seen no stability improvements.

I'll try to remember to update your thread here if I find a resolution. I've got a thread going in the ESO Forums, also. So far no solutions, but at least ideas.

If it matters, I have this issue regardless of whether I'm playing on the laptop screen or whether I'm using HDMI-out to my Pioneer A/V receiver, then HDMI from receiver to my LED TV.

i mention the connection because I recently noticed my laptop is using the Intel HD 4600 to push my display to my TV. For some reason it is automatically an interlaced feed instead of progressive, so my options in the Intel Display panel are for 60i hertz, and 60p hertz (along with other numerical designations, but always either interlaced or progressive). If I change that to 60 hertz progressive, I lose sound. I can't choose to have my nVidia run my display either, it defaults to the HD 4600. Which I hate. I don't care about power consumption, I care about performance and gaming. Dunno if this makes any difference to anyone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.