[HARDWARE MOD] P150EM CPU radiator fin mod

Khenglish

So after increasing the fin density on my GPU radiator, I did the same to my CPU radiator.

Unmodded spare heatsink:

http://i.imgur.com/n7QFTcP.jpg

Album of mod process:

P150EM CPU rad mod - Imgur

results:

http://i.imgur.com/r9RBbis.png

Only 82C at 4.2ghz after half an hour of Prime95. It only takes about 10 minutes to reach max temp, so this is max temp. Room temp is 70.6F. Core 3 is slightly warm for what it should be for an end core, indicating that heatpipe alignment is slightly off. It's still cooler than the inner cores though so who cares.

Next project is to solve the voltage regulation overheating issue once and for all.

• Thumbs Up 8

Man that turned out awesome. Glorious work!

I'm guessing you might shave off all of a fraction of a degree if you cut away all of the plastic there (the diagonal bits).

I also noticed you put a copper sheet across both of your heatpipes, I'm guessing this is even out the temperature between both pipes / distribution?

Also, I see little aluminum/steel plates under two of your screws + springs, was the stock mount that uneven @@?

I hunted around for a while for a 12mm or larger heatpipe, but still couldn't find any reasonably priced. And looking at it, doing direct pipe cooling looks to be tricky there, would need two sharp 90 degree bends. Could you perhaps replace the copper plate you have with a thin copper sheet, or would that be more detrimental since it would be like having your current dual heatpipes directly on the die leaving hotspots?

Another thought space restrictive, could you move your fan back about an inch? Could use shorter heatpipes (that are straight), then just fab a tunnel to exhaust the heat. Or does heatpipe efficiency not change much with that minor a change in heatpipe length and the bend? (I lost the page to that calculator thing).

---

Completely unrelated, we have the same fingers... das kinda creepy.

The copper plate on the heatpipes is a result of the remanufacturing process. I needed something between the heatpipes and vice to make sure I didn't solder the vice onto the heatpipes. Since the plate is soldered to the pipes this was a good idea.

Yeah the heatsink didn't want to lay flat without the aluminum shims. They got it flat.

As for a big heatpipe it would be hard to follow the die due to how close the fan is. If I were to just keep the current angle I'd need a 14-16mm heatpipe. It could be done if I found where to get such a gigantic pipe.

The fan can only move back about 3mm if I don't use the mounting holes. I shaved the front of the fan off too to see if I could fit a small extra radiator in, but figured it wouldn't be worth the airflow loss.

I'd rather not cut off the last of the vent cover fearing that something would hit the exposed radiator. I think it would help 1C at best anyway.

thats incredible! i've seen a couple of cooling mods, but none that look that professional!

wait a bit, in few weeks (mb month) i will post my cooling mod, it should look pretty professional too :D

Very nice mod! You used solder, right? How you did the soldering? It's easy to unsolder, but the reverse process is PITA. That's why I ended-up thermal-gluing mine.

BTW You asked me long ago what a guy uses to lift BGA chips - tweezers. I guess you have to be really careful not to mess the BGA.

This is incredible I am definitely going to do this when I have time and the supplies, I just stumbled across this post and love it! I need to first upgrade the bios on my MS-1761 version 3.06!

I left out some steps so let me know if you really are going to do this and I'll fill you in on how to do it better.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice mod! You used solder, right? How you did the soldering? It's easy to unsolder, but the reverse process is PITA. That's why I ended-up thermal-gluing mine.

BTW You asked me long ago what a guy uses to lift BGA chips - tweezers. I guess you have to be really careful not to mess the BGA.

Yeah I used solder paste. It's nice since you can work with it when it's not over 361F.

- - - Updated - - -

wait a bit, in few weeks (mb month) i will post my cooling mod, it should look pretty professional too :D

What's your cooling mod?

wow, now im REALLY glad i found this thread.

just took apart my y500 only to realize THEY FORGOT TO SOLDER ONE OF THE HEATPIPES. yes, thats right, one of them is just flimsily lying there, without solder, can't believe it.

thing is, i bought it used, then had my parents ship it to europe where i'm studying atm. and the warranty ran out 4 days before it arrived :/.

any tips on how to solder the pipe back on? what are you using (solder type, torch/heatgun etc), or is a thermal glue just as effective?

if its way too much work, and you need a lot of specialized tools, i may just end up buying one off ebay or so, but it still pisses me off. the auctioneer also didnt say the psu was the 120w version which isnt enough for the sli graphics cards that the laptop needs :(.

hopefully i can solve this pretty soon.

here a pic of what i mean: imgur: the simple image sharer

wow, now im REALLY glad i found this thread.

just took apart my y500 only to realize THEY FORGOT TO SOLDER ONE OF THE HEATPIPES. yes, thats right, one of them is just flimsily lying there, without solder, can't believe it.

thing is, i bought it used, then had my parents ship it to europe where i'm studying atm. and the warranty ran out 4 days before it arrived :/.

any tips on how to solder the pipe back on? what are you using (solder type, torch/heatgun etc), or is a thermal glue just as effective?

if its way too much work, and you need a lot of specialized tools, i may just end up buying one off ebay or so, but it still pisses me off. the auctioneer also didnt say the psu was the 120w version which isnt enough for the sli graphics cards that the laptop needs :(.

hopefully i can solve this pretty soon.

here a pic of what i mean: imgur: the simple image sharer

Those look like big 8mm pipes. For that hardware a single 8mm soldered should be very good, but if you do want to solder the 2nd on I used kester ep256 solder paste. Put the paste on. Clamp everthing down, then bake it in the toaster oven at around 375f for at least 20 minutes.

could this work as well? its closer to me and a lot cheaper. SMD BGA Lötpaste Lötzinn Solder Paste | eBay

also, would a heatgun work? i dont have a toaster oven here, but the neighbor has a heatgun, and i could use his clamps as well.

i don't know if one is enough, all i know is that the laptop shuts off after running prime95 for maybe 2 mins max. if its not that, then something else is wrong.

could this work as well? its closer to me and a lot cheaper. SMD BGA Lötpaste Lötzinn Solder Paste | eBay

also, would a heatgun work? i dont have a toaster oven here, but the neighbor has a heatgun, and i could use his clamps as well.

i don't know if one is enough, all i know is that the laptop shuts off after running prime95 for maybe 2 mins max. if its not that, then something else is wrong.

If you don't have a toaster oven you can use a regular oven. A heatgun will not work.

I guess that paste will work. I don't know though since the listing is in German. If you can get me the paste composition from that I can tell you if it should work or not.

its the same ratio, also found another one thats the same tube as the kaster, so i might just get that.

also, i want to check before i go through with it, if that pipe was even meant to be soldered on. since its the heatpipe for the gpu, and its further away from the fins than the cpu, maybe they didnt solder it on so that the cpu wont absorb the heat from the gpu? i dont know, i've just never seen that on a heatsink, usually they're connected all the way through, and i dont want to break it if thats the way its meant to be.\

in that case, i guess ill just repaste it, and hope that solves the reboot issues during prime95

There is no reason not to have the pipe soldered to the cpu plate.

Please you look at this mod `(* ∩ _ ∩ *) '

What are your views?

P170HM CPU cooling & 2920XM overclocking

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reason not to have the pipe soldered to the cpu plate.

Here Soldering

179 degree temperature low copper aluminum copper and aluminum wire rod

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=0.0.0.0.2oTSHd&id=7036302996

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=0.0.0.0.p7LVfw&id=7039988520

Luoxia the biggest cooling improvement of any mod that I did was lapping the heatsink plate. As for your extra heatpipes I don't like the extra cpu pipe. I think it will block airflow. I do like the fet pipe, but I think you should have had it go through the radiator slightly lower.

Luoxia the biggest cooling improvement of any mod that I did was lapping the heatsink plate. As for your extra heatpipes I don't like the extra cpu pipe. I think it will block airflow. I do like the fet pipe, but I think you should have had it go through the radiator slightly lower.

Ah

Thank you for your reply!