Multi screens. Possible?

hi all,

i was wondering if it is possible to get multiple displays in my m14xr1 gt555m 1.5gb.

i know 2 monitors is possible but how about 3?

I'm only going to take a guess on this one. But since the dGPU has to pass back to the iGPU, and SB based iGPUs can only support two displays; I feel your will be restricted to two active monitors.

I used to have a R1 (still have mobo, trying to sell it), but I have the R2 now. I could try it with the R2 and see if I can have internal + 2 external active. I don't have a miniDP adapter of any sort so can't test 3 external.

Side note, I got the 3GB version if you wanna upgrade ;D ..

:shameless plug: hehe

I'm only going to take a guess on this one. But since the dGPU has to pass back to the iGPU, and SB based iGPUs can only support two displays; I feel your will be restricted to two active monitors.

I used to have a R1 (still have mobo, trying to sell it), but I have the R2 now. I could try it with the R2 and see if I can have internal + 2 external active. I don't have a miniDP adapter of any sort so can't test 3 external.

Side note, I got the 3GB version if you wanna upgrade ;D ..

:shameless plug: hehe

HI,

Thank you for your response. What will i get if you are going to sell yours? Is it worth it to upgrade just for that purpose?

HI,

Thank you for your response. What will i get if you are going to sell yours? Is it worth it to upgrade just for that purpose?

Honestly not much. You'd be better off just swapping the R1 mobo with a R2 mobo. The jump from a GT 555M with DDR3 with a GT 650M with GDDR5 (which has the same core as the 660M and can be clocked as such), is a very worthwhile upgrade. See my link to that in my signature.

I'll test the multi-screen thing tomorrow, been busy with stuff this weekend.

Honestly not much. You'd be better off just swapping the R1 mobo with a R2 mobo. The jump from a GT 555M with DDR3 with a GT 650M with GDDR5 (which has the same core as the 660M and can be clocked as such), is a very worthwhile upgrade. See my link to that in my signature.

I'll test the multi-screen thing tomorrow, been busy with stuff this weekend.

Okay, so you mean to say, there is not much difference. It is still GT555m with 3GB DDR3? Am I correct? then everything else is the same?

Okay, so you mean to say, there is not much difference. It is still GT555m with 3GB DDR3? Am I correct? then everything else is the same?

Well, it would certainly help out if you are maxing out your VRAM (like I did). Everything else is the same. Same GPU core and such. I got svl7's unlocked bios mod on it atm if interested. Once you get another quality post I can PM you.

---

Tested it multi-displays. Can only have a max of two active displays (even with the R2).

http://i.imgur.com/9VnWiqD.png (semi large screenie)

http://i.imgur.com/JpGKMyj.jpg (pic of setup)

Well, it would certainly help out if you are maxing out your VRAM (like I did). Everything else is the same. Same GPU core and such. I got svl7's unlocked bios mod on it atm if interested. Once you get another quality post I can PM you.

---

Tested it multi-displays. Can only have a max of two active displays (even with the R2).

http://i.imgur.com/9VnWiqD.png (semi large screenie)

http://i.imgur.com/JpGKMyj.jpg (pic of setup)

1st of all thank you for this forum for what they are doing for people like me. 2nd, angerthosenear man, thank you very very much for spending some of your time for me.

i saw something like using an external graphics card. i forgot where i saw it but how possible is that? if that applicable to our m14x?

1st of all thank you for this forum for what they are doing for people like me. 2nd, angerthosenearman, thank you very very much for spending some of your time for me.

i saw something like using an external graphics card. i forgot where i saw it but how possible is that? if that applicable to our m14x?

For eGPU projects, see the forum section here:

DIY e-GPU Projects

It's got a lot of information, be sure to readup on in if you intend to use an eGPU.

I tried it on the m14x very quickly. It doesn't seem like it'll be too hard to setup. Would probably need Setup 1.x to accomplish it, but I'm on Win 8.1 with a GPT install so I can't quite do that. Could probably fiddle around enough and make it work however.

For eGPU projects, see the forum section here:

DIY e-GPU Projects

It's got a lot of information, be sure to readup on in if you intend to use an eGPU.

I tried it on the m14x very quickly. It doesn't seem like it'll be too hard to setup. Would probably need Setup 1.x to accomplish it, but I'm on Win 8.1 with a GPT install so I can't quite do that. Could probably fiddle around enough and make it work however.

Thank you very much sir. With your help I was able to download the bios fix. I will install it now and be back in a while. I am looking forward with your help as you mentioned that you are going to PM me. Once again thank you.

I honestly want to buy a new laptop but this M14xR1 was from my brother who passed away. When he was still alive he told me that he's gonna give me this and he will get a new alienware but the next will be a desktop. It never happened. I don't want to put this away so I am doing my best to maximize its capacity.

• 1 month later...

I have already had 3 monitors working on my M14xR1 with the GT555M 3GB though.

Just plug one with the HDMI and the other one through VGA ports. the resolutions were 1366x768, 1920x1200, 1280x800.

I'm sorry to hear your about your loss, I'm sure this m14x has a lot of value for you.

• 3 weeks later...

USB video adapters will work but the performance and stability are nowhere near as good as the internal video card. Good if you really need more displays, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have used a "pluggable" usb to hdmi adapter (essentially uses your cpu for processing graphics). It is not too bad for relatively "static" displays like e-mail or documents; but as far as using something like this for games or video, it's not the right tool for the job.