Y410p/Y510p GPU fan control?

jsanossian

i've searched for a while, and i was unable to find something that gave me direct access of the fans. maybe, if someone were to snoop around the lenovo packages, they could find out what triggers the fans when you use the "clean dust" function.

• 3 months later...

Been wondering this for some time now..

How comes Lenovo's power management "Dust removal" make connection with i'm guessing bios to control the fan speed? Or control the fan speed in any way at all.

There must be some sort of exploit in that software.

For example; when clicking "Dust removal" the exploited version would run the fans constantly, not on and off like it does.

I hope someone can shed some light on this to either help or to put my mind at rest, as I've tried to decompile the software but I Ai t got a clue xD

Thanks!

With the EC. Without having documentation it's super tricky. You could politely ask @Mumak, he might be able to support fan control for this machine in HwInfo (it's Compal-based) as he had some success with AW systems, but he's usually super busy, so you might have to be patient to get a reply.

Best will be to head to the HwInfo main thread for this.

Yeah I've tried it. It actually makes the laptop run hotter because the delay between when the fan spins is too long.

I just tried AIDA64 with the script, idle temp for my system is 43C, without the script the core temp is 86-87C, with the script it is around 80-81C. During the pauses the temp rises to 83C then comes back down to 80C. I have a y510P 4700MQ with 755m single GPU.

I just tried AIDA64 with the script, idle temp for my system is 43C, without the script the core temp is 86-87C, with the script it is around 80-81C. During the pauses the temp rises to 83C then comes back down to 80C. I have a y510P 4700MQ with 755m single GPU.

You probably didn't let it run long enough or it's not putting constant 100% load on your CPU and GPU. Like I said, for me the max temperature is higher with script than without script. I tested by playing PlanetSide 2 for a few hours. It's a game which has power virus characteristics, meaning it draws an inordinate amount of power from my GPU's, and they are at constant 99% usage. The difference is especially apparent on my Ultrabay GPU, which normally has a 10-15C temperature delta under full load from the primary card. During the breaks when the fans are not spinning, my components heat up by 3-5C, and when the fans turn back on it doesn't lower temperatures enough to make up for the increase. So it's basically continuously heating up. One step forward, two steps back, if you will. Without the fan script, at least temperatures stop rising after a certain point.

I don't have Planetside 2, but I will try running AIDA64 for a longer duration. How long do you suggest?

As long as it takes for temps to stabilize.

BTW PlanetSide 2 is a free game and it's awesome. :D

As long as it takes for temps to stabilize.

BTW PlanetSide 2 is a free game and it's awesome. :D

Just tried AIDA for 2 hours with everything checked (CPU/GPU/Memory/Cache/Disk) its around 86-87C with the script and 92-93C without it (ambient temp 40C). The pauses increases the temp by 3C, if I had SLI then the script probably isn't worth it. Let hope Erni3 comes up with a better one. And thanks for the PS2 suggestion, it is indeed awesome:)

Just tried AIDA for 2 hours with everything checked (CPU/GPU/Memory/Cache/Disk) its around 86-87C with the script and 92-93C without it (ambient temp 40C). The pauses increases the temp by 3C, if I had SLI then the script probably isn't worth it. Let hope Erni3 comes up with a better one. And thanks for the PS2 suggestion, it is indeed awesome:)

Yeah probably. It's primarily my second GPU that heats up more when using the script.

• 5 weeks later...

You can now try IdeaFan http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7358-ideafan-y510p.html

• 2 years later...

I have a similar? problem with my y510p where the fan doesn't run as much as it should for the load that I'm putting on the system. I know the fan works because the Lenovo Remove Dust utility works but otherwise the fan hardly seems to come on