Dell U2312HM, Asus VN248H-P, or Asus PB238Q

Aeyix

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Asus VN248H-P, Asus PB238Q, and Dell U2312HM as my replacement monitor.

I've been searching for roughly a month now for a 24" 1920x1080 IPS matte display that has most of what I need for my circumstance. These 3 are the final ones I've narrowed it down to but I'd like your opinions.

The rundown:

In the immediate moment:

-I need to be able to connect my Xbox 360, which requires VGA connection, and my laptop (which has the other 3 outputs).

As a convenience:

-Built in speakers or a 3.5mm jack for audio pass-through is strongly preferred for when I dock my laptop so that I can have centered audio instead of using my laptop's speakers off to the side when not using headphones.

-Also, USB connectivity is another convenience that I like, although not as important to me as audio, so this way I can connect my keyboard, mouse, and headphone DAC/Amp to my laptop via one cable whenever I dock instead of connecting 3 each time (assuming this won't hurt the 1000Hz polling rates or DAC audio quality)

For the future:

-I'd like to have HDMI connectivity in case I ever decide to purchase a PS4 or Xbox One

-Not too bulky of a monitor or stand to transport (student so I do move around enough)

-Again against bulkiness, in a couple of months I'd like to buy a 2nd monitor for a dual monitor setup, preferably the same model and possibly get a dual monitor VESA stand

My Thoughts:

-I like the VN model a lot. It seems to have everything I want except USB and a sturdy adjustable stand. Also it is the cheapest of the three and according to PCPartPicker often dips largely in price for weeks at a time. Although, based on reviews, I expect it to have the weakest color production and contrast ratio of the 3. It also has a nice narrow bezel and is lightweight for VESA mounting and transporting. Also it is the only monitor close to 24".

-The PB model is practically perfect having every connection possible. The only downside is the size of it is quite large and heavy which is very off-putting.

-Lastly the Dell seems to be a balance of options being midweight between the three. Unfortunately there is no audio pass-through or HDMI. I'm sure I could use HDMI to DVI for a next-gen consoles but that would restrict me to only headphone audio.

I'm leaning on the VN model and waiting for the price to dip again and just picking up a USB hub for my three peripherals.

-Another thought I've had is when Nvidia's G-Sync module will start shipping in monitors and if it will support 600M Kepler series GPUs to an external output. If this is the case, I might want to wait instead.

What are your thoughts/opinions of the three monitors?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Out of those three, I strongly suggest the Asus VN248H-P because of the 5ms response time. The lower the response time the better as ghosting will become less visible. Prices tend to be higher for lower response time so that's something to consider and if you want good color production, I also highly recommend looking at IPS displays/monitors.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this a bit old but I've found something that might be useful.. after much research, I found the Asus MX239H monitor.. Its well built and looks great and has 2 HDMI ports, VGA, DVI and best of all IMO, it has great speakers for a monitor. Its AH-IPs with 5ms response time but the overall input lag is 10ms which is the sae as that for Asus VX238H which was the TN monitor with 1ms response time.

I have the Dell and compared to other IPS monitors it actually has fairly low input lag.

There are a lot of detailed tests here: Dell U2312HM Review

Some might not want to lose 1" of screen real estate, but with a little bit of tweaking + excellent stand, I actually think it is a better value over the ASUS. There are a couple of different production revisions, so they might not all perform exactly the same. The one I have seems very well off.

• 2 months later...