MSI GT70 0ND - Upgrading Video card

Saraph

Hello! Hopefully someone can assist or point me in the right directions with an issue I'm having with this upgrade. I have a MSI GT70 0ND laptop that had a 675m GPU in it (now dead). After looking around for a replacement I found that the 675m was still very expensive, so I decided to go with the 770m hoping that it would at least be comparable in performance.

My issue is that after swapping the GPU's my screen is set to 640x480 16-bit (seems lower actually, the colors look terrible). I am unable to install any driver software and my card shows up as a standard VGA adapter. The listing I bought this card off of did say it was an msi card but I am having my doubts.

I attempted to disabled the VGA adapter and use on board to at least feel comfortable troubleshooting but I get the error 'This device has not enough free resources that can be used.' I've read several forum posts that mention flashing the bios, how is this done?

Has anyone else ran into an issue like this before?

Edit: I was able to finally get the GPU-Z application and take this screenshot. Hope this helps.post-24757-14494997407543_thumb.jpg

• Bios Modder
Hello! Hopefully someone can assist or point me in the right directions with an issue I'm having with this upgrade. I have a MSI GT70 0ND laptop that had a 675m GPU in it (now dead). After looking around for a replacement I found that the 675m was still very expensive, so I decided to go with the 770m hoping that it would at least be comparable in performance.

My issue is that after swapping the GPU's my screen is set to 640x480 16-bit (seems lower actually, the colors look terrible). I am unable to install any driver software and my card shows up as a standard VGA adapter. The listing I bought this card off of did say it was an msi card but I am having my doubts.

I attempted to disabled the VGA adapter and use on board to at least feel comfortable troubleshooting but I get the error 'This device has not enough free resources that can be used.' I've read several forum posts that mention flashing the bios, how is this done?

Has anyone else ran into an issue like this before?

Edit: I was able to finally get the GPU-Z application and take this screenshot. Hope this helps.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11242[/ATTACH]

You need to flash vbios from MSI. Now your vbios from DELL.

Download Nvflash and flash this vbios VGA Bios Collection: MSI GTX 770M 3072 MB | techPowerUp

I was able to flash the vBIOS and that definitely helped a lot. Now I can finally use my CPU graphics to display in 1080p, unfortunately every driver I try doesn't work. They all install fine, but when trying to run GPU-Z (my guess is it has to run a test on the GPU, which initializes it) I get a BSOD error and the PC restarts. I've performed a clean install on every driver nVidia has to offer (beta as well) for the 700m series cards off the official website.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

• Bios Modder

Hello Saraph. I am actually having the exact same issue you are having, with an identical laptop (GT70-0NC), upgrading from a GTX 670m to a 770m, bought from the same seller as you on ebay. I have tried 3 vBios versions (stock, and the two posted here), and multiple Nvidia drivers, both with and without modded .inf files. In my case, I'm noticing that with the 80.06.54.00.11 vBios I get a BSOD when any program attempts to access the 770m, and this is with any Nvidia driver installed. I've also noticed that before the BSOD, even when idle, CPU usage will spike to 100% for a brief moment on a random thread every half second or so, bouncing around like mad. Disabling the 770m through device manager seems to stop the CPU spikes, as well as the BSODs, but obviously isn't a great solution. There has to be a proper solution to this somewhere, as I really don't feel like returning a card that otherwise seems to be functional. Any help on this would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Saraph. I am actually having the exact same issue you are having, with an identical laptop (GT70-0NC), upgrading from a GTX 670m to a 770m, bought from the same seller as you on ebay. I have tried 3 vBios versions (stock, and the two posted here), and multiple Nvidia drivers, both with and without modded .inf files. In my case, I'm noticing that with the 80.06.54.00.11 vBios I get a BSOD when any program attempts to access the 770m, and this is with any Nvidia driver installed. I've also noticed that before the BSOD, even when idle, CPU usage will spike to 100% for a brief moment on a random thread every half second or so, bouncing around like mad. Disabling the 770m through device manager seems to stop the CPU spikes, as well as the BSODs, but obviously isn't a great solution. There has to be a proper solution to this somewhere, as I really don't feel like returning a card that otherwise seems to be functional. Any help on this would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds about right my friend. There must be a solution to this, otherwise I/we will need to send the card back soon. :(

So far I've tried what you have, as well as every nVidia driver on the website for the 700m series. They install fine without modification, but all result in the same BSOD after opening GPU-Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Have either of you tried a Clevo vBIOS, also I would try a standard MSI vBIOS instead of the unlocked OC edition. I put up a link in another thread about upgrading a gt780 to 780m. I'll re-post it here if needed.

Hi Inches,

Hmm, interesting. I have already tried the MSI vBIOS'es (all of them, modded or stock), but I have yet to try a Clevo one. Do you have a link for a Clevo vBIOS?

Oh and yea, Mokkin (the ebay seller) has already asked me to follow this tutorial on modding the .inf files, but I've already tried that, with similar unfortunate results. He seems pretty cool though, so maybe if nothing else I could exchange this card for a Clevo blue board version, as others on here seem to have more luck with getting them to work... :-/

Hi there,

It seems that i'm running into the same problem with my 770M, do you have any news for that ?

With the msi vbios the card bsod nearly every time, but not always, sometimes it allow me to correctly run a game through the 770M (for league of legend, the driver recover and then it work flawless)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe need a motherboard bios modification for this? The last time i tried this kind of tricky thing it was like you, my graphic cards works but bsod sometimes, randomly freezes etc... So everything is fine in your bios? (Graphic card fully and correctly here etc? Just asking :3 )

• 3 months later...
Sounds about right my friend. There must be a solution to this, otherwise I/we will need to send the card back soon. :(

So far I've tried what you have, as well as every nVidia driver on the website for the 700m series. They install fine without modification, but all result in the same BSOD after opening GPU-Z.

Hi dudes,

I'm here to bring good news.

I got the same card as you from an ebay seller (the blue one), with exactly the same GPU-z specifications...

first thing I did was modify the .inf driver and install it... (after disable the windows non-signed drivers protection...)

then I was stuck on a very similar situation than yours...

After 6 hours working on it, I THINK (i did some tests like play some games but nothing very heavy or that would cause instability to make sure that it worked, but seems that did work...) that the unlocked msi vbios from the kepler topic works... http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

I flashed the card with that and restarted, at the first time I got blue screen after I tried to access the nVidia Control Panel, so I restarted the system again and BAZINGA...

I will keep you guys updated if any problem shows up but lets hope it doesn't happen!

EDIT--------------------------

Oh, forgot to mention, dont know if it has something to do, but I also installed the motherboard unlocked BIOS from http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html

I'm having the exact same issue only with the 780m. I flashed to a MSI VBios and that let me install the driver but now my comp hangs whenever I boot up and I'm not in safe mode. I think it's freezing when GeForce Experience loads for some reason. I haven't been able to get it really working yet after a few nights of working on it. Anybody have an idea?

• 1 month later...

I would like to upgrade from 880m to 980m on a MSI GT70 Dominator Pro from 2014.

Is this possible?

Do I need necessarily a BIOS Update?

And also another VBIOS?

Or Maxwell is not compatible with Kepler?

On the other hand, the new GT70 are indeed equipped with the 970m.

Hi

I own one MSI GT70-0NC with a GTX 670M I would like to know the upgrade possibilities. I was thinking to upgrade to a 970M but I am seeing I can be problems with the msi notebook bios or the new 970 bios if it is not msi.

Can you tell me what must I upgrade to be 100% compatible? If I can upgrade the laptop bios first I can have it prepared for the video bios.

thanks in advance.

I have an MSI GT70-0NC and my GTX 670 stopped working. I bought a GTX 770 and installed it with the drivers correctly but when I boot it my NB freezes at the welcome screen. Can anyone help me with this issue?

• 3 weeks later...