Lenovo Y500 bricked

adam14

Hi guys, i'm new here. Is there anyway to recover from a bricked bios? I just updated my bios and all seemed fine at first. After a while, it froze and shut down buy itself. Now i can't even enter the the bios. All i can do is turn on the laptop and see a black screen. But the keyboard light and fans are working. What am I suppose to do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Always: gone after the way it was described? loaded the right file? didnt disconnected power accidentally or tried something with Slic/other modifications?

Else you bricked it because there was an error occuring randomly: it can happen and you were warned, only chance is asking at lenovo support but if they dismiss you your laptop is likely bricked (unlike android firmware mods in most cases) since mister usual wont be able to hook up JTAG or similar things to their pc to access and rewrite the usual bios

Good luck with reflashing a bios that doesnt start and by this also doesnt allow you to boot from an usb device. We would need a way to straigtly access the flash, does anyone know of jtag from lenovo or some other hookup method i could use to make a guide like "plug x to y, boot linux there then dd to z"?

With Lenovo, the answer is simple to parse and write the BIOS from the programmer . however, the real primary give such forums estilio in repair to bear.

And you want to say us what with that? Also if you have any program or whatever it is you mention to directly flash a bios on a non-bootable pc it would be nice to just tell us so. Also what is an estilio and again what do you mean? That guy has a nonbooting pc and needs something that either starts without working bios or flashes bios externally. So anything helpful would be appreciated if he didnt gave up already. (also even to get 5 posts probably to download something please keep a good posting style and be helpful or add something to topic, this wasnt helpful for the topic starter or thread at all.) Thank you.

Also thread starter: do you still follow this? If so give a sign that you live and actively follow, else this thread doesnt really makes any sense since a real bricked y500 will stay so unless support fixes it and we dont have any of the aforementioned tools at hand. (seriously noone knowing a jtag for this?)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

Maybe an error that could be flushed out with a power discharge...? Sincerely doubt it, but in your situation it sounds like you want to try whatever you can. Try it:

Remove your battery and disconnect the AC adapter so you have no power to the laptop.

Hold the power button down for a good 15 - 30 seconds.

Try turning it on at first with just the AC adapter plugged in, minus the battery.

If it worked for a bit at first THEN did this though, I'd think it's something else!

• 3 weeks later...

If nothing helps you can try to remove and reseat the CMOS battery located somewhere on your motherboard. This will roll back the BIOS back to it's factory settings. (don't forget to kill all power to the computer.)

Do a quick google search on your laptop model to see how to access the battery and you should be set.

If nothing helps you can try to remove and reseat the CMOS battery located somewhere on your motherboard. This will roll back the BIOS back to it's factory settings. (don't forget to kill all power to the computer.)

Do a quick google search on your laptop model to see how to access the battery and you should be set.

No it will not. This will reset, but not correct a borked write.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had something similar happened to me, the only thing that saved me was the Lenovo OneKey Recovery. I had to do a hard reset on my laptop though. After I did the reset everything went back to normal but my data was gone, thank god I had a recent backup stored on my external hard drive.