Anyone laid hands on the 860m - or even tried to OC the new Maxwell Chip

Hi there!

I`ll not get me an 880m as thanks to svl7 my 680m performs really great. Yet I think the Maxwell architecture to be quite promissing. Is someone out there who wants to share any experience?

I am hoping for a kind of 885m/980m based on Maxwell of course - but til then... I`d be happy to collect any news.

Best regards

phila

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A co-worker of mine just got a new work laptop and it came with the 860m. It's quite powerful! Loads solidworks drawing very quickly and it hasn't had any issue with heating yet. Unfortunately it's a work laptop so he can't easily attempt overclocking it without our IT department getting upset :/

Got my hands on a W230SS with Maxwell. The thing overclocks like a beast. Haven't really pushed it extra hard but +135Mhz as per Kepler is possible. It also implements proper boost algorithm unlike its 650m sibling.

Maxwell inst as brute powerful as the kepler equivalent but the core is utilized much better. Thus, you will notice more consistent performance. Additionally, the beefed up internal cache makes it much less vulnerable to Memory bandwidth on models with GDDR3 though I highly recommend getting the GDDR5 variant as much as possible.

Got my hands on a W230SS with Maxwell. The thing overclocks like a beast. Haven't really pushed it extra hard but +135Mhz as per Kepler is possible. It also implements proper boost algorithm unlike its 650m sibling.

Maxwell inst as brute powerful as the kepler equivalent but the core is utilized much better. Thus, you will notice more consistent performance. Additionally, the beefed up internal cache makes it much less vulnerable to Memory bandwidth on models with GDDR3 though I highly recommend getting the GDDR5 variant as much as possible.

Hey Cookiemonsta,

Could you point me in the right direction to overclock the 860m on the w239ss?

cheers

Hey Cookiemonsta,

Could you point me in the right direction to overclock the 860m on the w239ss?

cheers

I'd imagine that he's using nVidia Inspector or EVGA Precision X on the stock vbios based on the +135MHz clock he said he can hit.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind about 860m is that even though the 2gb maxwell is faster and more power efficient, it is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced or upgraded with a mxm 3.0b card. The 4gb kepler however can be replaced/upgraded because it is mxm 3.0b.

A co-worker of mine just got a new work laptop and it came with the 860m. It's quite powerful! Loads solidworks drawing very quickly and it hasn't had any issue with heating yet. Unfortunately it's a work laptop so he can't easily attempt overclocking it without our IT department getting upset :/

The 860M is completely useless for Solidworks. My P170SM-A loads them quickly too and utilizes the Intel graphics even though I have an 880M. You need a Quadro or similar professional card that is certified for Solidworks for it to take advantage of the card. I even tried an inf mod on the Quadro drives and still no love.

The 860M is completely useless for Solidworks. My P170SM-A loads them quickly too and utilizes the Intel graphics even though I have an 880M. You need a Quadro or similar professional card that is certified for Solidworks for it to take advantage of the card. I even tried an inf mod on the Quadro drives and still no love.

After I wrote this I double checked... if you are using the eDrawings viewer like I am the it is a definite maybe. Running the sensors screen in nVidia Inspector I see a spike up to max clock and memory when I have the nvidia graphics selected in the nvidia control panel. I see the power mode P0 as well. It doesn't do that when I have Intel graphics selected. I need to do more testing...

After I wrote this I double checked... if you are using the eDrawings viewer like I am the it is a definite maybe. Running the sensors screen in nVidia Inspector I see a spike up to max clock and memory when I have the nvidia graphics selected in the nvidia control panel. I see the power mode P0 as well. It doesn't do that when I have Intel graphics selected. I need to do more testing...

Even with the GTX 880M card selected in nvidia control panel the GPU usage remains at 0%. So you really to need a professional level card to see any advantage in Solidworks (or the viewer).

Anything Maxwell should show substantial power efficiency clock for clock compared to Kepler, Nvidia have done quite well with Maxwell. There's still a bit of ambiguity around how well it will scale to larger platforms, but the 860m should be quite a beast for it's market point.