How hot does the y510p get during gaming?

xxblazerxx1

While playing Saints Row IV on ultra at 1920x1080, I get temps in the high 60s low 70s. Keep in mind that I have done the fan shroud mod as well as repasting everything with AS5. The temps are not quite where I would like them to be at but it's better than stock. Stock temps were burning hot at mid to high 90s for the ultrabay 755M.

My y510p (4700QM, GT755M (non SLI)) gets realy hot. When I play BF3/4 or even CSGO, the temps slowly (let's say 5-10 minutes) go to 97-98°C then it throttles for a minute (FPS drops :sorrow:) and then it goes again to 98°C. This is when Turbo Boost is already disabled... (max cpu usage set to 99% in power options). When i cap FPS in CSGO to 65FPS, the CPU and GPU stay arround 80°C. I use my laptop flat on my (wooden) desk, without cooling pad or without lifting it a bit.

I got this notebook since end of august 2013 and it always get this hot, but during the year I configured it to only get ~1.5GHz so my temps were OK.

I study IT so I use my laptop every day during the lessons, but now I'm thinking of getting it to warranty since the summer vacation is comming and my warranty is almost expired. But do you think they can/will fix it?

My lenovo 510p rarely goes above 85C on the toughest games. The ultrabay 750m does get a bit hotter than the mainboard one. It has never crashed or triggered any safety measures. I think I will be purchasing a cooling pad for it though.

Yeah, playing games, even the 2014 heaviest ones, shouldn't put your Y510P over 86ºC. It also depends where you use the laptop, but in a "normal" situation, with no extra stuff, just the laptop itself and a table, that's what it should be. It's not necessary to buy a cooling pad, I've played BF4 in that "normal" situation and it's nice, sometimes a little excess of heat, but nothing your hands can't handle xD. Nevertheless, with a cooling pad the experience should be more comfortable.

I have the mono GPU version, not SLI, but it really doesn't matter, temps are pretty much the same in both versions, because the ultrabay is far away the CPU and GPU. Both single and SLI have the same stress test temps and gaming temps, more or less.

iamdark24, those temps are good, I'd like to know what do you get playing BF4 or NFS MW 2012, at the highest settings possible. With the stock thermal paste, you get more or less 85ºC and 81ºC respectively, in both CPU and GPU (welded one). The ultrabay GPU should be WAY cooler than the welded GPU. I get mid 90ºC's when I do a stress test, but playing games I never reach 90ºC's, playing games like Batman Origins, BF4, NFSMW 2012... it's always between 79-87ºC, both CPU and GPU. If you get more than 90's playing video games, something's wrong for sure, unless you play within your oven or in the desert.

My y510p (4700QM, GT755M (non SLI)) gets really hot. When I play BF3/4 or even CSGO, the temps slowly (let's say 5-10 minutes) go to 97-98°C then it throttles for a minute (FPS drops :sorrow:) and then it goes again to 98°C. This is when Turbo Boost is already disabled... (max cpu usage set to 99% in power options). When i cap FPS in CSGO to 65FPS, the CPU and GPU stay around 80°C. I use my laptop flat on my (wooden) desk, without cooling pad or without lifting it a bit.

I got this notebook since end of august 2013 and it always get this hot, but during the year I configured it to only get ~1.5GHz so my temps were OK.

I study IT so I use my laptop every day during the lessons, but now I'm thinking of getting it to warranty since the summer vacation is coming and my warranty is almost expired. But do you think they can/will fix it?

I don't know where you play, but I have the exactly same model, Turbo Boost activated, everything stock, even I have also a wooden table, lol, and no extra stuff, no lift up, this is what I get:

BF4: 78-86ºC. It is smooth 99% of the time, with high settings more or less, some ultra.

CS Source: 70-79ºC, I think almost all the time in the low 70's. Everything ultra, AA, textures...

I use Real Temp and GPU-Z to monitor temps. So something is definitely wrong with your laptop. Try those programs and tell us. Make sure you have the latest drivers. I had to uninstall both Intel and nVIDIA stock drivers to use the generic ones. Uninstall both through Device Manager , then install Intel's, and then Geforce Experience and let it download and install the GPU drivers for you. Make sure that you don't have any virus, or any background program that is consuming your laptop's resources. I remember that I had problems using CoreTemp, which monitors temps, and the laptop got hotter than usual. It was a Core Temp incompatibility, and I've never used it in this laptop again. Though I've used it in my previous laptop.

More i read about this laptop i feel more disapointment from lenovo. whitlist in bios, crappy cooling, when i play 97C , yes stock, no mods 25C enviroment temp. if i repaste it i will lost waranty.....

damn lenovo

More i read about this laptop i feel more disapointment from lenovo. whitlist in bios, crappy cooling, when i play 97C , yes stock, no mods 25C enviroment temp. if i repaste it i will lost waranty.....

damn lenovo

damn lenovo

It's a great laptop, with some weak points, like the WiFi card or its drivers or something related to Wireless connection. The temps are good enough. As I've said, 97ºC is an extreme temperature for playing. Something's wrong with your laptop. One of the most demanding games out there, BF4, puts this machine to 86ºC at maximum. You shouldn't reach 97ºC at ALL.

owkay, 97 C with furmark , i stopped it when it reach this insame temp. and 92 in occt, in background world of tanks,

in some games i think i experiencing throttling, game start beiing laggy, one second OK and then one second lagging, friend of mine with same laptop experienced same

should i RMA it ?

Well, I've done also the stress test cpu+gpu, and yeah, it reaches more than 95ºC, which is in the limit of the CPU. But that's a stress test. In real life, if CPU get over 90ºC, Intel Turbo Boost is deactivated and the temps go down. I've played Batman Origins, BF4, NFS Most Wanted 2012, and I've had no problem at all, everything went nice.

Make sure you have the very latest drivers from Intel and nVIDIA. Go to Device Manager, select Display Adapter. Uninstall both nVIDIA GPU (first) and Intel's 4600. Then reboot, and install generic Intel drivers, and then GeForce Experience. GF Experience will install the latest nVIDIA driver available. Finally, make sure that you run the games using nVIDIA GPU, you can select that in the nVIDIA Control Panel.

What is RMA?

Oh. Well, before that, I would try what I told you up there. If that doesn't work, I'd restore to initial state. If after update everything and play BF4 or something like that, I still get more than 86ºC, I'd RMA, of course.

BTW, to monitor the temps in the games, use these 2 programs at the same time:

GPU-Z

Real Temp

Some monitor programs don't work well and EVEN warm up the GPU and CPU.

I don't know where you play, but I have the exactly same model, Turbo Boost activated, everything stock, even I have also a wooden table, lol, and no extra stuff, no lift up, this is what I get:

BF4: 78-86ºC. It is smooth 99% of the time, with high settings more or less, some ultra.

CS Source: 70-79ºC, I think almost all the time in the low 70's. Everything ultra, AA, textures...

I use Real Temp and GPU-Z to monitor temps. So something is definitely wrong with your laptop. Try those programs and tell us. Make sure you have the latest drivers. I had to uninstall both Intel and nVIDIA stock drivers to use the generic ones. Uninstall both through Device Manager , then install Intel's, and then Geforce Experience and let it download and install the GPU drivers for you. Make sure that you don't have any virus, or any background program that is consuming your laptop's resources. I remember that I had problems using CoreTemp, which monitors temps, and the laptop got hotter than usual. It was a Core Temp incompatibility, and I've never used it in this laptop again. Though I've used it in my previous laptop.

When did you buy yours? maybe We have different revisions or so??

I already have the latest drivers (337.88) also the latest intel ones. I also think my temps are rediculous as I see most Y510Ps stay below 90°C. I haven't tested BF4 lately, but on BF3 (Medium - High settings) my temps reach 97 degrees after 10-15 minutes. I use MSI afterburner to measure my temperatures. Idle my temps are around 50°C which isn't so low either. (If I close all my background programs I get 43-45°C, but it's weird since it are very few programs and CPU and disk usage stay around 0% when they are active). I'm gonna send my unit back to lenovo waranty and I hope they can fix this (repasting or maybe a newer (/better?) fan, I also want another WIFI card 7260 instead of the sh*tty 2230).

I also have some trouble when booting (normaly I use hibernate, but when I do a proper reboot) the diskusage stays around 100% for 5-10 minutes (coused by some windows processes (system, svchost). I completely reïnstalled windows a few months back and it was better but now it starts all again... luckily hibernate does it job well. Maybe I should buy an SSD (my version doesn't have the cache SSD as some of you have), but I will wait until I got my unit repaired.

When did you buy yours? maybe We have different revisions or so??

I already have the latest drivers (337.88) also the latest intel ones. I also think my temps are ridiculous as I see most Y510Ps stay below 90°C. I haven't tested BF4 lately, but on BF3 (Medium - High settings) my temps reach 97 degrees after 10-15 minutes. I use MSI afterburner to measure my temperatures. Idle my temps are around 50°C which isn't so low either. (If I close all my background programs I get 43-45°C, but it's weird since it are very few programs and CPU and disk usage stay around 0% when they are active). I'm gonna send my unit back to lenovo warranty and I hope they can fix this (repasting or maybe a newer (/better?) fan, I also want another WIFI card 7260 instead of the sh*tty 2230).

I also have some trouble when booting (normally I use hibernate, but when I do a proper reboot) the disk usage stays around 100% for 5-10 minutes (caused by some windows processes (system, svchost). I completely reinstalled windows a few months back and it was better but now it starts all again... luckily hibernate does it job well. Maybe I should buy an SSD (my version doesn't have the cache SSD as some of you have), but I will wait until I got my unit repaired.

It doesn't matter, we should and MUST have the same temperatures, it's the same chassis, laptop, hardware... There could be some minor variations, like mine reaching 84ºC and yours 87ºC, but 97ºC is way too much difference, and also quite hot for gaming (although I know some notebooks reach 93ºC playing games, some Acer and MSI models). As I said, it should be between 78ºC and 88ºC more or less. Make sure you're not covering the bottom. I'm supposing that your ambient conditions are normal, somewhere between 20ºC and 32ºC.

By the way, use Real Temp and GPU-Z at the same time to monitor your temps. That's what I use and they work fine. I've tried some monitor programs that warmed up my system. Idle temps should be somewhere between 40ºC and 54ºC. Mine's are high 40's in idle. In January I got low 40's, like 42-43. Now 48-49. Notice that if you play a game, and then stop, the laptop is "not going to cool itself" when it reaches 52-53ºC, so there it stops and, after a game session, you're probably gonna have low 50's. That happens because the fan decreases its speed when the laptop reaches 53-54ºC.

I have a M.2 SSD 24GB for cache. My system takes like 15 seconds to boot. I mean, I press ON, start to chronometer, and when I open Chrome and Google page appears, I stop it. And that's about 15 seconds. Actually, any Windows 8.1 PC should be like that, cause I have another laptop with Windows 8.1 and only an HDD, and it takes 16 second, if fast boot is enabled. The SSD comes to play when you're starting programs like Photoshop.

Of course, after those 15 seconds, the HDD is still loading in the background a lot of stuff, and it takes like 1 whole minute to completely load everything.

Anyways, in a year or so, I'm going to replace this 1TB HDD by a 1TB SSD. They are really necessary to take advantage of all the power of a new PC/laptop.

I havent had any issues with overheating yet while gaming although it does get hot.

I would suggest using a cooling pad while running high performance games.

The only game that has really made my y510p really hot is Crysis 3. Though it all depends on how often you play and for how long each time.

I havent had any issues with overheating yet while gaming although it does get hot.

I would suggest using a cooling pad while running high performance games.

The only game that has really made my y510p really hot is Crysis 3. Though it all depends on how often you play and for how long each time.

That's not true, any laptop reach the maximum stable temperature after 1-2 minutes of playing, so it doesn't depends on the time you use it. After that, temps are constant, with some peaks sometimes. It doesn't depends on how often you play, every time the temps are gonna be the same under the same conditions, it doesn't matter if you've played 1h or 5h, or for a week or a year.

This laptop gets really hot when you're squeezing its power, specially in summer.

I can not speak for the y510 but i have the y500 with dual 750m's and it seems to get very hot during load. Temps of 85-90C for both GPU's and CPU. I ordered a cooler master x slim cooling pad off amazon today and im hoping that this will bring temps down.

i have an oldish cooling pad i use on my lap with one large fan. typically my ultrabay card will hit 98 pretty quick playing skyrim or warcraft but with the cooling pad i can often times stay in the low 90's and never have it throttle down. i'm gonna repaste it anyway though.