How hot does the y510p get during gaming?

xxblazerxx1

i am using this laptop from past 6 months (almost)....specially for gamers you should buy a cooling pad

you should always use a cooling pad while playing games on a laptop as it increases ur laptops life.

dedicated graphic cards are high performance cards and get very hot while playing games, hot to such an extent that the solder can melt and the graphic card can attach itself to the motherboard permanently and damage the laptop completly, and on top of all graphic cards are quite expensive, so to avoid all these complications buy a good cooling pad. i have bought cool masters m6 cooling pad, which is really good it also has a good pair of speakers and a woofer too and the cooling is also very effective. and guys i need help i accidently wiped off my hdd, and in india lenovo does not provide a recovery disc so can anyone of you help me with this..? please? you can contact me on [email protected]

just make a recovery disc including recovery partition. please i need it really bad!!!!

I did some tests with the stock hard drive with Win 8.1 and the Lenovo energy management software, and then with my old laptop's Windows 7 hard drive. The laptop actually runs better and cooler without the Lenovo software on it. Granted, "cooler" is not "cold." It will still get warm under load and toasty with intense gaming going on, but airflow from the fans is much better too under Win 7 without the Lenovo software.

Well, in a stress test it gets pretty damn hot. I have an i7 4700MQ and a single GT 755M, and they both reach 95ºC or even more.

When gaming Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012, BF4 or Batman Arkham Origins, they both are from 78 to 86ºC. Of course, I've not used any cooling pad to test it, and Intel's Turboboost is activated.

The vent area gets REALLY hot when gaming, you can't put your hand next to the air exit cause it burns. The keyboard sometimes can get a little hot in the WASD area, but it's not really uncomfortable. You can play games without any trouble, but I'd like it to be a little cooler. But you know, I've been playing for 4-5 h to BF4 and Batman AO and I've had no problem with the heat. It's a great laptop.

Nevertheless, if a cooling pad can cool this laptop from 86º to 78º, it's highly recommended. I've not bought one cause they're big and they make noise, and it's not really really necessary.

Cheers!

Tried playing Battlefield 4 in all-Ultra settings for a good 30 minutes, the heat generated by the CPU, GPU and Ultrabay GPU could easily rise the temperature of the room by a few C° !

Of course, I've not used any cooling pad to test it, and Intel's Turboboost is activated

Pretty much sure it throttles to 2400 Ghz to maintain ~75-80C otherwise you must be really lucky with your paste job and cooling overall.

What?

Not, in the Stress Test I did (Prime 95+Furmark) the CPU was at 3.4GHz, 4 cores all the time, and the temperatures reached and passed 95ºC (I stopped the test after 15min cause there was no change since minute 10, but I think the hottest core would've reached 97ºC or so after an hour). The same with my single GPU GT 755M. No throttling at all. Since the CPU WORKS FINE under 105ºC, there's no way to be concerned about this temperatures in a STRESS test, that puts the laptop to the limit.

I didn't use a cooling pad because it has no sense to monitor temps using extra ventilation. I did the test so ANYONE could do the same test and compare if the temperatures are the same as mine's. That's one of the MAIN points of a test, compare temps and see if yours is OK or if it has a problem.

Playing games, which is the most stressful thing you can do, it handles from 78 to 86, which is decent. Of course I'd like it to be from 70 to 75, but anyways, they're temps that this laptop can handle. CPU and GPU are OK at those temps, users are the ones that are not OK with them, cause it's not too comfortable to use the laptop with high surface temps. Nevertheless, it's not this case, I mean, when playing heavy games it gets hot, but it's 100% usable and more or less comfortable, and that's it.

By the way, people who have the i7 4700MQ and single GT 755M version:

What temps yours Y510P's reach after 15min using Furmark and Prime95?

Mine like 95ºC more or less in CPU and GPU.

No way, do you have the i7 4700MQ + single GPU 755M + 1080 version?

If I play Need For Speed MW 2012, BF4 or Batman Arkham Origins, at max. settings possible in 1080 (which are pretty damn high), the CPU is always more or less 83-84ºC, and GPU like 81-82ºC.

I got 70-75ºC when I'm playing games like Counter Strike Source at max. settings, Age Of Empires III at max. settings and games like that.

Do you really got 70-75ºC playing extreme games like BF4? Of course, I'm supposing that you're not using any cooling pad, as me. Just standard situation, only the laptop in a table, no extra stuff.

The only difference is that I have a model with 750M.

Never played BF3 or 4, tho I played Metro 2033, pretty heavy as well, temps are always 70-75, highest number I saw is 78. And yeah, I am not using any external cooling.

Oh, I see. Then MAY BE that's the problem, cause GT 755M is clocked slightly higher than GT 750M: 980MHz vs 967MHz (I don't know if those 13MHz make that difference). I don't know if thermal paste is important on temps, but I'm thinking about re-paste the CPU with a High Quality thermal paste.

If anyone can guarantee me that my temps with a new high quality thermal paste are going down like 8-10ºC, then it's worth it.

Thanks for the reply!

Uhmmm... The thing is that I overclocked mine, so its technically 1150 Ghz and not 967 Mhz.

Repasting may help, but no one will guarantee you that, since it depends on current job quality, thermal paste you will use and you usual ambient temps.

Are you serious?

So you say that with your GPU OC from 967 to 1150MHz you get 70-75ºC, and me with standard settings 980MHz I get 80-85ºC?

That's really odd.

Well, actually I don't know how heavy Metro 2033 is. You should play BF4 and see if you still get 70-75. May be I also get that temps playing Metro 2033, considering it's a 2010 game, and BF4 is one of the heaviest games of 2013, it could make sense.

Yeah, you can get low bench because of your graphic card, and that doesn't mean your laptop is put to the limit. Anyway, I think I found the explanation:

Recommended CPU for BF4: an i7 quadcore at 3GHz or more. That means my laptop's i7 is almost all the time under Turbo Boost, from 2.4GHz to 3-3.4GHz.

Recommended CPU for Metro 2033: Core 2 Duo at 3GHz or more, which requires way less CPU power.

That CPU requirement is probably the reason BF4 goes 85ºC while Metro goes 75ºC.

I have a Y510P with 755m SLI and I've had no problems with games like Bf4, AC4, Skyrim(modded the hell out of it and have installed good ENBs). A cooling pad might help; I have a cooler-master X-Slim and it has definitely helped throttling. It still gets pretty hot, but if you dont have it on your lap and you aren't gripping the side of the laptop where your fan is, you should be saved from 3rd degree burns ;). In regards to repasting, DARKWORLD nailed it; even if you repaste the cpu/gpu with diamond thermal compound, if whoever put the laptop together pasted it correctly, you won't see too much of an improvement in regards to heat/throttling. The gpus have been compacted in there pretty tight, and for the $ you spend and with the dimensions of the laptop, I would't expect too much more. IMHO.

No one said there is a problem playing BF4 and that kinda stuff. I just said laptop reaches 80-86ºC, which is logical since that game recommends to use a quadcore i7, so it pretty much suck almost all the power of it.

And I don't think temperatures depends more or less in the price of a laptop. Lenovo could have done an Y510P thicker, not that thin, and it'd handle better temps and it'd be cheaper. You know, temps depends almost 100% in the thickness of the machine, you need thick laptops to dissipate all the heat correctly.

tozarian, you can use RealTemp to moniter CPU and GPU temps and tell us how hot they get. Gaming it shouldn't go more than 86ºC. In certain applications that put the CPU to the limit, like video editing, it can reach middle 90's ºC.

@rambomhtri No I agree. If they did make it a little bit thicker or found a way to space the gpus a little more it might solve some of the heat dissipation issues. As for the price thing - I honestly think Lenovo could've designed the layout a little better as the proximity of the gpus/cpu definitely contribute to the heat problem. However, the ASUS N550JV is slightly smaller than the Y510 and has the same CPU, but runs 40%-50% cooler. The difference? SLI.

ASUS N550JV is slightly smaller than the Y510 and has the same CPU, but runs 40%-50% cooler. The difference? SLI.

SLI makes no difference in Lenovo's. I have Y500 on top of my y510p, temps are the same, even when SLI turned off, ultrabay tho has a slightly worse cooler so it usually add's a few extra C, but nothing crucial.

SLI makes no difference in Lenovo's. I have Y500 on top of my y510p, temps are the same, even when SLI turned off, ultrabay tho has a slightly worse cooler so it usually add's a few extra C, but nothing crucial.

That's right, having SLI doesn't impact really in the temps of the Y510P, both models SLI and non-SLI reach like 95-98ºC in a stress test.

That ASUS is really impressive. BTW, it's not 40-50% better, it's 20% better. You go from almost 100ºC in lenovo to 80ºC in ASUS. I think this is due to the 2 fans that have the ASUS model. Yeah, I'd loved it if Y510P would have 2 fans, and pointing to the back of the laptop, no to one side, or may be one to one side, the other to the back.

But yeah, I said it wrong, there are 3 facts that really impact in the temps:

-Number of fans, 1 per CPU/GPU is ideal.

-Thickness of the laptop.

-Design, how close CPU and GPU are.

My Lenovo Y510P reaches at max 92c

When it reaches 102 at that point it begins to throttle, at 105 the system shuts down.

Please be aware that when i say it gets to 102 that is purely because i was overclocking and had a insane amount of ventilation

I don't think that 102ºC is the limit of the Intel Turbo Boost. When I'm rendering videos, if the i7 gets hotter than more or less 90ºC, it goes from 3.4GHz to 2.4GHz, and when you are using the i7 to the limit (rendering videos is one of the things that do that), it easily reaches 90ºC, so it deactivates the Turbo Boost always. They really should have worked more in the design and ventilation in this laptop, damn. This machine should have 2 fans and the air exit should be in the back of the laptop.

I usually play Sc2/Pathofexile/Diablo3 on high and while it gets hot, it's not "ouch it burns" hot, nor do I notice any throttling. Have not installed a temp tracker. Best to mention I have it sitting on a cool master pad for the ergonics/elevation and the cool master fan is not on.

Throttling is when Intel Turbo Boost gets deactivated because of the high temperatures, 90ºC more or less. It goes from 3.4GHz to 2.4GHz. And it's really hard to notice in a game any difference, but if you're rendering videos, estimated time at the beginning is like 10 min, and after 1 minute of an i7 4700MQ with 4 cores at 3.4GHz, it throttles and estimated time is 14 or more.

May be you notice the throttling in games that are beasts consuming CPU. One of them is BF4, and I never notice any slow downs, so if it throttles, I don't notice it. But I don't think so, because temps playing BF4 are like 80-85ºC.

Those games you're playing are definitely no CPU consumers, so temps will be below 80ºC.

You don't need a temp tracker, you need a frequency tracker. Well, if you monitor temps, you can say that CPU has throttled if suddenly temps go down 8-10ºC.

Well, mine has 16GB of RAM and SLI. Main problem is heat. IT really gets HOT. not even on max settings it may reach 90+ If you plan to use it for intense gaming I would recommend to get a good cool pad. One of those where you can arrange the fans in a setup where you get the best of them.