M18X cpu upgrades?

mnm18x

Hello, just two quick questions.

1. How far can the m18x r1 cpu be upgraded?

Will a i7 3920xm work in it?

2. Getting a ssd for my m18x and I am going to reinstall system on it. Since i lost my recovery partition long ago I was wondering can some with an m18x r1 make a copy of theirs? Or link me to a page where I can get a recovery partition download.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, just two quick questions.

1. How far can the m18x r1 cpu be upgraded?

Will a i7 3920xm work in it?

2. Getting a ssd for my m18x and I am going to reinstall system on it. Since i lost my recovery partition long ago I was wondering can some with an m18x r1 make a copy of theirs? Or link me to a page where I can get a recovery partition download.

The best CPU that can fit in the M18x R1 is the I7 2960XM. The motherboard doesn't support Ivy Bridge and Haswell. The 2960xm is still a very potent CPU and i recommend it.

THe best GPU you can put in the M18X R1 at this time is the GTX 780m.( GTX 880m its's to expensive ).

Check those threads:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/4694-gtx-780m-temperature-benchmarks-m18x-r1.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/3596-alienware-m18x-r1-running-nvidia-gtx-780m-let-testing-begin.html

A slightly overclock GTX 680m its as good as a stock GTX 780m.

The i7-2630QM wont throttle the GPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

do you think i can go for SLI ? with 2 780m ? got 330w AC

tyvm for answering

I have the M18xR1 with a 2920xm and 780m SLI - it runs with the 330w adapter, but I can not take full advantage of the CPU and GPUs with the single 330w. I have all the pieces for the dual adapter mod Mr. Fox developed, just need to set aside time to get it done. The benchmarks I've run since upgrading have shown that as I push the CPU and GPUs it gets starved for power, but the temps are still very good, so just need more juice!

Edit to add: If you're planning to run stock and not benchmark - should be no problem, I don't see any issues with power demand at stock.

• Thumbs Up 1