MSI GT-0NE - last resort thread - Performance suxxx + unidentified problems stacking!

Hi there

First of all - i really didn't want to spam T|F forums with my silly problems but, having not resolved probably even one of the issues i'm having with my laptop here i am, asking for assistance.

The story begins about a year ago, when i happily returned home with my brand new MSI GT70 mounted with mighty 680M, 16GB RAM, and i7-3630QM. I thought i was invincible, being able to play everything maxxxed out etc.

That actually didn't happen - i was quickly brought back to reality by running BF3 and Skyrim - none of which was (and is) even close to playable on high settings, not to mention ultra. I thought - hey, it a mobile machine, what am i expecting from it? Still the specs say for themselves. After some time i began to ignore the fact that my PC seems noticeably underpowered, mostly because i haven't got much time for gaming this past year. Lately, however, i tried to make a comeback and started by downloading Mechwarrior Online. And so the new chapter starts.

I have been playing MWO for a couple of weeks now, with no problem until about a week ago, when i foolishly decided to give the newest (334.89) Nvidia drivers a go. It was then when my problems started. Since i expected new drivers to fix some of the issues with low performance of my GPU i tried higher video setting than i was using up till now - switched from medium, which i was forced to use because of low fps count on high, which i intended to try now. As you can see even a game that i would say is far less demanding than BF3 or Skyrim had to be set on a pretty low settings to be playable. Anyways right after i updated my drivers i started getting "display driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and BSOD video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm.sys errors. I was pretty much shocked since i've never seen those errors before. This happened immediately when i got into a game and ran MWO on high settings, and also on medium settings after a few rounds.

I figured that it has to do with updating the driver. So i started reverting back to older drivers, tried quite a few (back to 314.22 i guess) with no success. I have to mention that BEFORE updating the driver to 334.89 i've been using newer drivers than 314.22 that i reverted back to at some point, meaning that the issue started to grow outside the driver area. And so i thought about my pc overheating might be the problem. But having my laptop on a cooling pad with maximum fan speed keeps my GPU temp at bay, so this can't be the cause of it all.

Today i tried the last two solutions (flashing vbios to svl's 1.025v oc edition and then oc the vga to 911/2000, changing TDR delay to 60s) that had a chance of success, but from what i see they had little to none effect on bringing my gt70 to its expected performance. While tdr_failure BSOD seems to have been warned off for a second new problem arise - mu GPU load drops with no reason and stays at ~20-30% causing massive fps drops. Don't know where to go from here anymore... to think i should be able to play this game with my laptop non-oced on at least high details ;///

to sum it up:

while fighting with tdr_failure-dispaldriverstoppedresponding-gpuloaddrops issues i have:

- tried at least 10 different nvidia drivers (including ones from MSI website)

- tried overclocking the VGA

- bought pressured air and blowed through the vents

- bought cooling pad (zalman zm-nc11)

- set my CPU to max performance setup (min usage 100%) - to be safe from cpu throttling

- diagnosed my system with furmark and prime95 - with no errors

- set TDR delay to 60s, TDR Ddi delay to 60s, TDR limit count to 20

- flashed vbios - current is SVL's revised v0.2 OC edition @ 1.025v

- even tried using throttlestop but my cpu is never loaded more that 30% while playing MWO so decided that its a VGA issue

here's a SS:

15n55dk.png

as you can see the GPU load is going crazy, the OSD (takes from HWinfo) says that te temperatures are below 60 degrees, that there is no termal throttling on CPU, the voltage and clocks on the VGA are ok. I really don't seem to understand what's going on. Need help ;(

PS. my setup:

i7-3630QM stock

16 GB RAM DDR3 1600mhz

750 GB SATA

GTX 680M 4 GB Gddr5

EDIT2:

Just now - tried to do another test run with MWO. Froze right after login, error appeared: "application mwoclient.exe is being blocked from accessing the graphics hardware" ;/ im on a brink of a nervous breakdown

Real stupid question: What power profile are you running under? If you try to run it on battery, or if you're on power saver, the machine will run like crap.

I also have a GT70 (3630QM & 680m) stock with latest BIOS, with the only modifications being the beta EC from MSI and a repaste job done by myself. MWO is set on high, so are Skyrim, Enemy Within, etc.

You likely have a hardware problem and are just compounding it with VBIOS, throttlestop, etc.

If I were you, I'd go back to stock and reformat, then try to localize the problem. The TDR stuff is just hiding the issue. If a fresh load, with stock BIOS/etc doesn't give you the performance it should, you MAY have a bad card or even a power issue.

Have you re-seated the card?

Simplify simplify.

I am running a max performance profile, my cpu is set to 100%. I reinstalled my system, have tried different drivers. I posted a ss of msi afterburner showing the usage of my gpu in the other topic about the 680m. I have no idea whats causing it. The gpu load after oc stays around 30%, easily making gaming impossible :/ where can i find the newest beta EC for my model? I havent tried that and i want to eliminate the possibility of a power management problem

I am running a max performance profile, my cpu is set to 100%. I reinstalled my system, have tried different drivers. I posted a ss of msi afterburner showing the usage of my gpu in the other topic about the 680m. I have no idea whats causing it. The gpu load after oc stays around 30%, easily making gaming impossible :/ where can i find the newest beta EC for my model? I havent tried that and i want to eliminate the possibility of a power management problem

Beta EC https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162629.0

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't used Afterburner 2.3.1 and just loaded the 3.0.18 beta on my system to see what I'd get. From the screenshot, it looks like you're overclocking by 140/200. In order to track down the issue, I'd keep everything as stock as possible, meaning +0/+0, at least until you figure out what's happening. Driver-wise, I've used the last three releases without issue.

If you've been doing everything properly, I'd lean towards a hardware issue, but it's difficult to tell from afar. I don't know how important the thermal pads are on the card's VRM section, but perhaps it'd pay to take the heatsink off and check to make sure everything is in place. If you do this, remember you'll need to repaste the card.

Try the beta EC and report back, and like others have said, keep an eye on them temps.

You most likely have a bad GPU, I've been using my Alienware M17x for more than a year now and I never had any issues of any scale compared to yours. But if my GTX680M can run skyrim at max settings at a playable FPS on stock clocks without crashing or BSOD then i must assume that something is wrong with yours, especially since you've tried reverting to previous drivers and using throttlestop which i have never had to do before on my laptop.

I have tried testing the VGA with no OC whatsoever with similar results (alternatively, BSOD with video_tdr happened). I'va kinda given up, filed a RMA request at MSI. I'm suspecting my 680M to by faulty, yet i can't think of a situation i could probably damage it, so i'll just try to give MSI warranty service a shot. ;)

I have tried testing the VGA with no OC whatsoever with similar results (alternatively, BSOD with video_tdr happened). I'va kinda given up, filed a RMA request at MSI. I'm suspecting my 680M to by faulty, yet i can't think of a situation i could probably damage it, so i'll just try to give MSI warranty service a shot. ;)

I had overlooked that MSI had a 2-year warranty. Bad parts DO happen, so this isn't due to anything you did. Hopefully the exchange is speedy so you can really game, instead of spending all your time fighting with the thing.

Yeeeeah, but still, i can't help but feel sad about giving my precious GT70 away into some strangers hands ;P i feel bad about not being able to help him out by myself ;) i'll post everything MSI finds inside my unit, so watch out for info. Maybe it'll benefit some people like me struggling with underperforming MSI laptops.