New y510p Owner

morvegil

Two options really, either find a network card (half-pcie) that is on the y510p whitelist already and install normally, or buy a blacklisted network card and modify the bios with the tools provided in svl7's post before installing.

Oh, and im also assuming that a micro usb wifi dongle is completely out of the question. That would probably be the easiest route with little chance of real errors occurring.

Good luck!

Two options really, either find a network card (half-pcie) that is on the y510p whitelist already and install normally, or buy a blacklisted network card and modify the bios with the tools provided in svl7's post before installing.

Oh, and im also assuming that a micro usb wifi dongle is completely out of the question. That would probably be the easiest route with little chance of real errors occurring.

Good luck!

I downgraded the BIOS from t305 to 207,. then hacked it. I now have a KN1202 Wireless card and a SSD which i just swapped from my sager..works great.

I downgraded the BIOS from t305 to 207,. then hacked it. I now have a KN1202 Wireless card and a SSD which i just swapped from my sager..works great.

Thanks dude ! I successfully install mac os x on one of my laptops and dont know how to get rid of the problem with wireless which didnt work.

Hi

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this.

I have newly bought a Lenovo Y510P and was wondering about Clean installation of Windows 8.1.

The computer i bought came with Windows 8.1 core.

And since there is no way for me to get an ISO of the OS to make a clean install i had some questions.

Can i use any OEM Windows 8.1 ISO and still get it to "sync" with the key in my bios.

Or do I have to have the exact OEM image to make it work.

I know this was the case in Windows 7 but since this Windows 8.1 is a bit more complex it might be possible now?

I live in Sweden and this would realy help me if this is the case.

Can i use any OEM Windows 8.1 ISO and still get it to "sync" with the key in my bios.

I know this was the case in Windows 7 but since this Windows 8.1 is a bit more complex it might be possible now?

You can use the RETAIL (no volume copy VL) windows 8.1 iso to do a clean install...just choose the version of your pc came with(core edition) at OS selection window during installation..

note:if your pc comes with swedish language maybe you should find an iso with that language support if english iso not works

note2:i suggest you to download all of the windows 8.1 drivers from lenovo site before installing windows 8.1 if you dont have the latest

good luck

If you have the Y510P with the optical drive in the ultrabay slot, you can possibly buy this one or another compatible one to add in an extra HDD/SSD. Keep in mind that you will have to do a little work to remove the screws from your optical drive bezel and then screw the caddy onto the bezel with the HDD inside and then insert it like usual into the Ultrabay slot.

Link:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy - add an extra HDD or SSD into your laptop!

• 1 month later...

Short annotation to the link posted above, thats just a Standard-China-HDD-Caddy labeled with another company name. When searching (for example) amazon you can find this Caddy at about half the price with shipping included. The brezel should fit also on the other ones, the front side is identical.

The easiest way to find it would be to check the pics of the caddys, there are just about a handful of different versions.

Mfg shmerlin

BTW, don't clone disks (old HD to new SSD/HD) I have tried from different angles and it always breaks the one touch function. You will need to use fdisk to fix the volumes and the OEM entries.

BTW, don't clone disks (old HD to new SSD/HD) I have tried from different angles and it always breaks the one touch function. You will need to use fdisk to fix the volumes and the OEM entries.

What type of errors were you getting when you tried this?

Here's new owner too. Took this machine apart immediately, my CPU temps were over 90'C. Now with new paste those temps are below 80'C throttles no more. Next step is take apart ultrabay-gpu because it's hotter that integrated GPU. :)

If you have the Y510P with the optical drive in the ultrabay slot, you can possibly buy this one or another compatible one to add in an extra HDD/SSD. Keep in mind that you will have to do a little work to remove the screws from your optical drive bezel and then screw the caddy onto the bezel with the HDD inside and then insert it like usual into the Ultrabay slot.

Link:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy - add an extra HDD or SSD into your laptop!

Exactly found the thing I came here looking for. You cannot imagine how much I appreciate the link you have shared. Only if I could buy you a drink and show my appreciation.

• 3 weeks later...

which paste did you use, dj_pirtu - ocz freeze, arctic silver 5 or some other one ? Do you remember if there were any termo pads on either gpu, cpu or any bridge microshemes or just thermopaste? I am wondering (still) if I want to void the warranty by repasting or not..

I used ocz freeze. There is pads for gpu memory chips.

One trick is to lift laptops back up from the table. Gets much better air from below and stays cooler.

oh nice, lifting really helps! Did you leave those termopads or replaced them with thicker layer of ocz?

As for today, you KN still working like a charm with all its features and what not intact? Have you encountered any problems what so ever?

You can use the RETAIL (no volume copy VL) windows 8.1 iso to do a clean install...just choose the version of your pc came with(core edition) at OS selection window during installation..

note:if your pc comes with swedish language maybe you should find an iso with that language support if english iso not works

note2:i suggest you to download all of the windows 8.1 drivers from lenovo site before installing windows 8.1 if you dont have the latest

good luck<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

what do you mean? so I can get a 8.1 disc install it, it will recognize my original product key inside my machine? We are all having same problem.

I am trying to find the recovery disc, no one seem to have it

• 4 months later...
Hi

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this.

I have newly bought a Lenovo Y510P and was wondering about Clean installation of Windows 8.1.

The computer i bought came with Windows 8.1 core.

And since there is no way for me to get an ISO of the OS to make a clean install i had some questions.

try NirSoft keyviewer and select msdm

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server