[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

3 hours ago, willoc said:

idle temp of 34? Ur GPU runs super cool, mine idle is around 55. How u did it?

Mine idles around 29-30 but only with fans on full blast :D with the fans off I get 47c. I'm running SVL7 vbios 1.000v

On 2/7/2016 at 11:45 PM, 82280zx said:

I'm still pretty new at this and don't dare proceed till I ask some questions.  I have a M18xR2 with a GTX980m I bought from woodstacks, I've already flashed over to prema's v2 vbios (after backing up the stock one that came with it) but have questions about installing this driver.

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip <---- I assume I download the main driver from Nvidia's site for the 980m and match your driver version then extract it right?

This is what I had before playing with this

Display device : GeForce GTX 980M on GM204-A GPU
Display driver : 347.25
BIOS : 84.04.22.00.12

My temps look good as far as I can tell, they float around 75-76c , I'm using Fujipoly 16w/mk on everything but the memory and I'm also using GC-Extreme thermal paste. When playing GTA V under load I get a  hard lock randomly, the video just freezes completely, I can hear people in teamspeak, I can talk to them but I have to hard power the system down before I can use the system again. I'm open for suggestions and help if anyone can help get me running, I'd really like to use this 980m it would bring my M18xr2 back to life for a while. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, and I've been steering clear of evga precision etc after reading about all the bricked displays.

First enable F8 boot options.

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Win10, install throttle free 352.84 PEG MOD (latest profiles) please follow instructions to the letter, keep Prema's v2 vBIOS instead...and don't forget to disable driver signing (F8) before installing drivers.

2 hours ago, J95 said:

cmd (Admin)

Win10, install throttle free 352.84 PEG MOD (latest profiles) please follow instructions to the letter, keep Prema's v2 vBIOS instead...and don't forget to disable driver signing (F8) before installing drivers.

This is the part that loses me, extract driver package as in the latest one? Then what do I do with the rar file in the second step?

• Extract driver package using 7-Zip - (I assume this is the latest international whql desktop driver?)
  • Download -> GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD win10.rar <- (What do I do with this?)
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf -> run setup.exe -> don't reboot yet <- (I get this step I think, I downloaded the correct one for my card / operating system and overwrote the one in the driver package right?)

Thanks I'm just not clear on how to install this or I would try it.

22 hours ago, 82280zx said:

This is the part that loses me, extract driver package as in the latest one? Then what do I do with the rar file in the second step?

• Extract driver package using 7-Zip - (I assume this is the latest international whql desktop driver?)
  • Download -> GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD win10.rar <- (What do I do with this?)
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf -> run setup.exe -> don't reboot yet <- (I get this step I think, I downloaded the correct one for my card / operating system and overwrote the one in the driver package right?)

Thanks I'm just not clear on how to install this or I would try it.

Forget about 361.xx drivers, DDU "Clean & Shutdown" >disable driver signing< (F8)...just download/extract GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD win10.rar copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf...run setup.exe

Don't reboot before completing NV Inspector steps as explained HERE

On 01/02/2016 at 6:17 AM, Solo wing said:

Do you have the 120Hz display? If so I think that's why it's PWR throttling, I experienced the same thing. Thanks to @J95  he continuously updates driver 352.84/353 profiles. These are throttle-free drivers.

My apologies for the late reply.
I only have 60hz and yeah I have been reverting back to them as they are the most stable, but when I run heavy games like Assassins creed Syndicate, the game goes fine for a little bit then screen goes black following a force reboot from a BSOD thats not coming up?

On 2/10/2016 at 0:44 PM, J95 said:

cmd (Admin)

Hello J95,   Is this 352.84 PEG Mod driver working on m18x r2 980 SLI ?? I have windows 8.1 using 353.00 with your mods and is throttle free, anything else throttles.  Thinking on upgrading to windows 10 but wanna know if you have a throttle free driver for SLI

On 2/10/2016 at 0:44 PM, J95 said:

cmd (Admin)

are these 352.84 throttle free in windows 10 with DUAL 980ms in sli??  i got windows 8.1 using 353.00 modded by you, and is the only one that works for me.  wanna upgrade to windows 10 but i want to confirm there is a throttle free driver.  Thanks

@j95

are these 352.84 throttle free in windows 10 with DUAL 980ms in sli??  i got windows 8.1 using 353.00 modded by you, and is the only one that works for me.  wanna upgrade to windows 10 but i want to confirm there is a throttle free driver.  Thanks

4 hours ago, The Daninator said:

My apologies for the late reply.
I only have 60hz and yeah I have been reverting back to them as they are the most stable, but when I run heavy games like Assassins creed Syndicate, the game goes fine for a little bit then screen goes black following a force reboot from a BSOD thats not coming up?

Are you overclocking?

I used to have crashes every now and then, GPU-Z showed PCI-E x2 instead of 16 so I re-seated the card, cleaned the MXM socket on both MB and card. Everything is great now , running SVL7 vbios + 352.84 ( OR 353 for win8)

You shouldn't apply too much pressure when placing the heatsink. Pros suggest you leave at least 1-2mm margin for each screw. I believe this was to avoid warping which will actually INCREASE the gap between the heatsink and the GPU die...

As for the info you asked me about:

- VBIOS: prema v2

- Driver: 361.75 (peg dedicated modded inf by j95 posted above)

- Stock clocks and voltage (~0.85 right now in GPUz, core clock of 135 and mem clock of 162, with idle temp of 34)

I reapplied the paste again last night and I hardly put any pressure on it at all, it seems to have helped but I'm still not near as low as you are. I tried out prema v2 vbios last night and I'm still running on older drivers I think its 347.25 due to the throttle issue I was seeing. ( I don't think I installed the peg dedicated drivers right so I went back to 347.25). I had no hard locks ups last night while playing, most of the time my temps was 68c but there was odd moments (mainly idle moments in gta V that I seen my temps go as high as 77c?) also when trying Ark Evolved I seen my temps hit 78c so I stopped, everything seems stable though but I don't want to run it hot, you should download FFXIV Heavensward benchmark and run it on extreme and see what your temps are, are you running a M18XR2 as well or which laptop are you running? I wonder if your cooling system is better than mine.

I have an AW17 R5 (2013). I just ran the FFIV benchmarks and the max I hit was exactly 70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/02/2016 at 6:07 PM, Solo wing said:

Are you overclocking?

I used to have crashes every now and then, GPU-Z showed PCI-E x2 instead of 16 so I re-seated the card, cleaned the MXM socket on both MB and card. Everything is great now , running SVL7 vbios + 352.84 ( OR 353 for win8)

Yes I am, by 100mhz on core, yeah done a complete clean, usual temps are around 50 at idle highest is 79-82 under heavy load
I am using Prema's latest Vbios, as it let me get the latest drivers but unfortunately none work.

Edit: I tried using stock clocks and same results. 

Edited by The Daninator
New information

On 2/12/2016 at 2:48 AM, jg1985 said:

Hello J95,   Is this 352.84 PEG Mod driver working on m18x r2 980 SLI ?? I have windows 8.1 using 353.00 with your mods and is throttle free, anything else throttles.  Thinking on upgrading to windows 10 but wanna know if you have a throttle free driver for SLI

@j95

Correct, just follow instructions HERE

GeForce 361.91 WHQL

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package,  run setup.exe  

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v361.91

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_8_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win 10 - Full_Profiles_4_v352.84.txt...soon Done!

GeForce 361.91 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 361.91 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v361.91_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.91_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v361.91_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.91_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

@thegh0sts

120Hz models! NV v361.75 previously installed, set refresh rate to 60Hz before uninstalling drivers. DDU uninstall "Clean and restart",  Options: uncheck "Remove present and non-present monitors"

DDU2.thumb.PNG.4070f614da472125a2264c0cf

• Thumbs Up 2

OK, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: I installed the 361.91 drivers and with your instructions and it worked fine....

BUT!

As soon as i set my display to 120Hz and rebooted the laptop it did the black screen again. Closing and opening the lid got the image back. So I set the panel back to 60hz and guess what no black screen.

No idea why....and i think this might have been the case with the 361.82 HF drivers.

Edited by thegh0sts

Driver regression unfortunately...it's a well known bug by NV. Try finding out if 120Hz Clevos are affected too...last options are desktop configurations 120Hz/144Hz. Report it as a Clevo or desktop issue. They won't do anything w/ your current unofficial 980M config. Mobile messed up priorities...580M (1), 680M (2), 780M (2), 980M (1) and counting.

Caught NV lying...

"Yes. This is a VBIOS issue. We fixed it in VBIOS but will require an update from Alienware. It was just fixed and verified a couple of days ago."

"CLEVO issue same cause and VBIOS also fixed it. For both laptops, the DFP entries in DCB table is ruled as invalid, so no gpio data set, and hence we don't detect the panel at all."

"Yeah sorry about that. WE have given the new VBIOS to all of our partners so we hope the update should be coming out soon."

Never happened...Win8.1 preview release, M$ "Fix Your S***" >> v326.01 Win8.1 preview driver << Done!

Workaround...try HRC, create desktop shortcuts both 120Hz and 60Hz/boot... or task scheduler (Admin) Arguments: use120Hz shortcut, set delay start to 6-10 sec. Just remember to revert to 60Hz before rebooting, don't OC your screen, only apply default settings to prevent EDID corruption triggering.

Been runnin windows 10 on my m18xr2 for a month now. Apart from some occasional twichyness that can be fixed with a reboot and the odd occasion of having to manually disable and reenable the occasional driver that doesnt boot its working good. Just dont touch evga precision with a barge pole and your good. Only thing is you might be best off disabling the hyboot option in the power settings as it CAN be buggy and lock up on a cold boot. SSD makes it redundant anyways.

Edited by Infini

J95,

Is there any sense of trying this latest 361.91 driver with Throttlefree PEG Mod for my AW18 with 780m sli? Or anly Maxvell GPUs can benefit from latest drivers? I doubt nvidia can improve something for 780m and other kepler cards(( 

21 hours ago, -Shadow- said:

J95,

Is there any sense of trying this latest 361.91 driver with Throttlefree PEG Mod for my AW18 with 780m sli? Or anly Maxvell GPUs can benefit from latest drivers? I doubt nvidia can improve something for 780m and other kepler cards(( 

PEG MODs are for Maxwell 980M/970M...unfortunately 780M's past v344.75*, v344.80, v345.20 are stuck at stock clocks, overclocking is a no go...unified drivers success!

------update------

@thegh0sts most 120Hz blank screen resolved bugs were mainly desktop fixes (e.g. 780M/120Hz LG & v344.80 HF desktop 980/120Hz & 144Hz LG screens)...if Clevos are working fine then search for specific desktop configurations undergoing similar problems (Maxwell & Samsung screens).

AFIK, Prema v2 + 361.91 drivers @ AW M18X-R2 (SLI 980M) = clock throttling. 

I do not know if I am doing it right or not so I post it here to see if anyone can help me. 

To clarify: 

I've been out of the improvements with this setup for a while, I read v2 should fix clock throttling. But after testing I can not find any way to properly do so. So for me it is time to change system. I am done with this. 

PS: Thanks to @J95 & @Prema (as well as others of course) for their big effort to fix this and give us more time with our machine. :)

Edited by Nikos4Life

Hey guys! I have a strange issue... everything was great with windows 10 and 361 drivers till now : yesterday while playing pc shut down and now when I start playing a game after a while my fans start to go max as usual but then  fps go drastically down for a while and fans shut off, in that moment fps go immediately up again...then fans start at max, everything normal for a while fps drop,fan shut down... what could it be my problem? throttling? broken gpu? PSU (330w)?  Didn't install anything... driver version 361.75 but same thing with old driver version too, max gpu temp 66°...already trying to put gc extreme on again...but nothing... still fps issue (never had till yesterday when pc shut off)

EDIT: fixed, never mind.

Edited by vj88

I've been playing Ark with @J95 vbios (I've also tried Prema's 2.0) and everything seems great except I get a random freeze now and then (game hoses up but I can see my mouse and hear music still and can talk in voip) only way I can recover is  a hard reboot. I'm wondering if its Windows 10 related? I'm using the 352.84 peg drivers with the profiles. When I use Prema's vbios it works good for a while but eventually it gave me a PerfCap on Power? Temps looked good the hottest it got was maybe 75c using Prema's vbios but with J95's the hottest it gets is 70c. I have been using HWinfo64 to control the fans since my laptop only wants to kick them on around 76-77ish, so temps have been better for sure, I'm using Gelid Extreme Thermal paste and Fujipoly 17 W/mK pads on the ram on the rest of the components. Anyone else have a M18xR2 running a single 980m?

• J95 pinned this topic