[Mod] Alienware custom bezel text

angerthosenear

Here is my first (shoddy) attempt for doing some custom text work on the bezel. It would be awesome to put the screen from the Logitech G-series peripherals in here, but they are a bit too thick.

I still have a bit more fiddling here to clean it up some to make it look a lot cleaner / match the stock text. Also, if you have access to a vinyl cutter, you can just scrape off all the black parts and apply a precut vinyl here. I'd love to do this, but I don't have access to such a machine.

Picture log (no real steps here):

Starting:

mSmZVi6.jpg

I used the cutting wheel for a Dremel that I snapped in half (and quarters) to scrape the black print off. This works much better than the xacto I started with (it dug into the plastic and wouldn't scrape)

Z9rAQqA.jpg

Here is my quality mockup. Wow, such quality.

oOPGugp.jpg

All major parts etched away, next is to block the light in certain areas.

IR7q4No.jpg

I used some chrome nail polish (yay females in the house). This chrome one blocked light pretty well in 1-2 coats. Black would probably look a little better though. I used the xacto blade as a paint edge so I can stay somewhat precise.

eLdzDbx.jpg

Now looking much more readable.

dDKgX0I.jpg

Need to work on it a bit more. Close up:

8rZNCkj.jpg

Horrible angle for this picture lol.... But looks pretty decent from a distance.

C3jEPaE.jpg

That's it, nothing too exciting. I was fortunate that I was able to keep some of the letters stock. Your modding may vary.

---

I'm sure I'll add more pics later once I get it looking cleaner.

• Thumbs Up 4

Little rough around the edges but pretty good overall. Salamander though? :D

Yeah, I'm still working on it. Gonna take a while to make it really clean.

I'm naming my computers after the alchemy elementals.

Salamander is the fire elemental. Suitable for laptops cause they tend to run hot

Undine is the water elemental. Suitable for my desktop since it has (in a couple days as of this post), a water cooler.

Sylph is the air elemental. Suitable for my server since it sounds like a tornado when I run it lol....

Gnome is the earth elemental. I will use this for whenever I get enough money to build a NAS. Since it would be used for file backup and such it's fitting enough. The lack of good looking brown / dark orange cases makes me sad though.