Alienware 14 (Haswell 2013 mode) CPU Upgrade Options

Hello folks. I just recently acquired a Dell Alienware 14 (Haswell 2013 model) and it is working great. It currently has the i7 4700 MQ and I was offered to purchase an i7 4930MX CPU for $600.00. I was wondering would the i7 4930MX CPU be compatible with my Alienware 14 motherboard and bios? Does anybody know if the i7 4700 MQ CPU is not soldered and is socketed on the Alienware 14 to do any CPU upgrades and if anyone can provide me with a list of compatible CPU upgrades to the Dell Alienware 14? I plan to have it installed at a computer tech place. Unfortunately they don't know the answer to my question about the CPU upgrade. All they know is how to install the CPU onto the motherboard. Any insight on this would be grateful.

• 1 month later...
Hello folks. I just recently acquired a Dell Alienware 14 (Haswell 2013 model) and it is working great. It currently has the i7 4700 MQ and I was offered to purchase an i7 4930MX CPU for $600.00. I was wondering would the i7 4930MX CPU be compatible with my Alienware 14 motherboard and bios? Does anybody know if the i7 4700 MQ CPU is not soldered and is socketed on the Alienware 14 to do any CPU upgrades and if anyone can provide me with a list of compatible CPU upgrades to the Dell Alienware 14? I plan to have it installed at a computer tech place. Unfortunately they don't know the answer to my question about the CPU upgrade. All they know is how to install the CPU onto the motherboard. Any insight on this would be grateful.

senzazn12, I know you purchased the 4930MX and posted the results on the NotebookReview forum, you might want to post them here for people that are not on both boards.

I know when we discussed the upgrade via the NotebookReview forum my main concern was going to be the increased wattage that the 4930MX requires vs. the 4700/4900 that comes stock in the AW14.

Did you have to go with a higher wattage power supply, or were you able to still use the stock? and, have you tried running on just battery to see how it performs?

• 4 weeks later...
senzazn12, I know you purchased the 4930MX and posted the results on the NotebookReview forum, you might want to post them here for people that are not on both boards.

I know when we discussed the upgrade via the NotebookReview forum my main concern was going to be the increased wattage that the 4930MX requires vs. the 4700/4900 that comes stock in the AW14.

Did you have to go with a higher wattage power supply, or were you able to still use the stock? and, have you tried running on just battery to see how it performs?

Temp wise it is okay during video rendering but not sure about high benching tests which I don't do.

Im using a modded 330W adapter for the AW 14 and had to use the new ThrottleStop adaptive voltage feature to avoid getting BSODs. I was using XTU to increase my voltage on the i7 4930MX but ThrottleStop seems more stable to me.

Running it on the stock adapter is fine too. I was able to run at 4.3 GHZ with the stock adapter with the GTX 765 not over clocked.

It does create a little more heat at stock but nothing drastic. I do have modded cooling gear to keep it cool. Also I can always lessen the heat by reducing multiplier if I need to if I am out in about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...