P370SM external monitor no signal until boot complete

beezow

Finally took the plunge and bought a an Asus VG248QE. Loving it so far for the 144Hz, colors are a bit meh especially coming from a 90% gamut screen. One issue I've noticed though is that the LCD does not receive any signal (or at least it says "DisplayPort No Signal" before the Win7 login screen (currently connected via Thunderbolt/mini-DP to DP cable).

The entire POST + boot sequence can only be seen on the laptop screen, but not on the external. Did a bit of digging around and apparently this is an inherent feature of the Thunderbolt/mini-DP connection (what???). Anybody have any ideas? I mean the external works fine once the laptop has finished booting, and the signal starts at the Win7 login screen. But it's kinda annoying that I can't tweak any BIOS settings unless I'm on the laptop itself.

All of my laptops, including my current P150EM, have done this with external monitors, no matter what connection type (HDMI/DP/DVI).

I can tell you from personal experience that if you boot the P150EM with the internal monitor disconnected but with an external connected, it will display the bootup process on the external screen.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you boot the P150EM with the internal monitor disconnected but with an external connected, it will display the bootup process on the external screen.

What do you mean by "with the internal monitor disconnected"? Disconnected from the motherboard entirely? I'm just referring to the same situation the OP is talking about, with the external monitor connected to the laptop and internal LCD connected normally. I'm not saying it's impossible, but just speaking from my experience, my laptops have always shown the boot process on the LCD screen and then switched to the external monitor at log in.