Y500 Question.

seamon

Yes you can change out the processor. However it has to be supported by the motherboard chipset and firmware. I dont believe the Y500 supports the 4th gen Intel processors. Also heat wise, you do not want a desktop processor in there, the cooling cant handle it. Lastly I doubt you would see a big if any different in performance anyway, especially for gaming.

Is it possible to change the processor of Y500(I have 3632QM) to Haswell? Will it be possible when Broadwell launches? Is it possible to install a desktop CPU? Sorry for the noob question.

Haswell doesn't work in your system, and a desktop CPU won't work.. You should read a little about the differences and it will be REALLY clear.

You can only use ivy bridge (3rd gen) and sandy bridge (2nd gen), max is 3940XM but I doubt your systems cooling is sufficient.

So the 3632QM is sufficient for now? What about 3840QM will that heat up too? Should I consider the upgrade say 1 year later or is it better to get an entirely new laptop then?

Replacing a laptop CPU with a more powerful one is usually not a good idea unless you can some how fit a cooling system in it. If you are finding that you are completely maxing out your current CPU, it's probably best to upgrade to either a modular desktop or a new, high-end laptop.

The last few generations of Intel Core processors haven't really brought a lot to the table in terms of performance increases. If you have a decent amount of RAM (>= 8GB) and an SSD, the performance of this machine should tide you over for at least 3 years. It's true that the Haswell upgrade is not possible (different socket), and you likely wouldn't gain anything in performance that you could perceive. The real benefit of upgrading to Haswell is battery life, and unfortunately the Y500 fails pretty badly at battery life in general because of the missing switchable graphics.

I wouldn't worry about it. The 3632QM should be more than enough for a few years.

• 3 weeks later...

I had 8GB Hynix [email protected] in one slot. I added another 4 GB Samsung RAM @1.35v in the other slot. I got 12 GB now. It's running fine for weeks now. CAS Latency is same. I guess that's enough.

I also have a 128 GB Plextor M5M msata SSD setup as a boot drive.

So does my laptop needs any more upgrades or is it good for a couple of years?

PS:I have both the SLI card and the DVD Drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Also games barely utilize the CPU. Max i have seen is 50-60% usage so I guess it's enough.