Replacing the 24gb Drive

qcrist

Hi, so I just recently bought a y510p Lenovo and was wondering how IRST and expresscaching works, as I recall that if they both exist on the same laptop, it crashes. Will following this guide help it?

GUIDE Install ExpressCache for SSD Caching - Acer Community

HOWTO: Configure a large (> 32GB) SSD to work with ExpressCache

I am trying to making them both co-exist and not crash the laptop, will the 1st link work?

• 1 month later...
can you make it a ssd using that slot if you unlock the bios? or can you raid it on stock bios?

The slot works like a standard SSD connector. If you install a SSD you can use it like any other SSD including booting from it. No need to remove the whitelist for it to work.

I have a MyDigital BP4 240 GB in my Y400 and it is not having any issues for 6+ months now. I did a clean install of Windows 8 on it, instead of cloning the mechanical drive.

Did you use modded or stock bios for this?

The Lenovo I bought they just got lazy and gave me a laptop hard drive 1TB with built in 8gb SSD. I was hoping they would give me the 8gb via MMC slot of that was wishful thinking like thinking they would give me a functional Wifi card. :(

The Lenovo I bought they just got lazy and gave me a laptop hard drive 1TB with built in 8gb SSD. I was hoping they would give me the 8gb via MMC slot of that was wishful thinking like thinking they would give me a functional Wifi card. :(

Is that a hybrid ssd HD? What was in your mmc slot?

My Y510P came default with 1TB hdd.

I have replaced that hdd with a liteon 256 gb ssd and only for windows I have a 128gb MyDigitalSSD SC2.

Till today (6 months of use) I have no blue screen or any hdd errors....

I have a Y500 and I replaced it with a crucial 240gb Crucial M500 CT240M500SSD3 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com. It works splendidly.https://www.dropbox.com/s/wljsr3d9tmyycsl/SSD%20Test.JPG

It was quite easy and I did not have to mod it or anything. I have it set as my primary hard drive.

Unfortunately this crucial SSD does not work on Y510p because it is mSATA, and the Y510p only has the relatively new M.2 (or NGFF) connector.

Also, beside the mydigitalssd and ZTC M.2 SSDs, there is the newly released Transcend MTS400 series which is great because has a 256GB option. Here is the Amazon link.

Also, beside the mydigitalssd and ZTC M.2 SSDs, there is the newly released Transcend MTS400 series which is great because has a 256GB option. Here is the Amazon link.

Thanks so much for clearing this up. Im definitely going in on the 256gb option when I get my next paycheck. I love this laptop :)

Wow, the 256GB Transcend M.2 drive is £226 (~$382) on Amazon.co.uk. Are there any other 256GB 42mm drives available? If not I'm going to wait for a price drop, that's too rich for my blood :confusion:

Woa, that is really expensive! I've got mine for 139.99 USD (plus 5% taxes and about 5 USD for shipping to Canada). Maybe you can import from Germany (I think it was much cheaper than this price), but I don't know how taxes work in EU.

As far as I know MyDigitalSSD also announced a 256GB 42mm M.2 drive a while ago:

http://mydigitalssd.com/pdf/MyDigitalSSD-256GB-Super-Boot-Drive-M2-NGFF-Press-Release.pdf

But appears that it is not available yet, and the Transcend is the only 256GB 42mm M.2 SSD that I could find (did a LOT of research on internet..).