Replacing the 24gb Drive

qcrist

I think that is the only option. I have yet to find any other ones. It certainly makes a big difference. I have a y510p and have installed this specific one as a boot drive. Some stats:

Formatted: 119.2GB

Windows 7 Installation: Roughly 80GB

Driver Installation & All Current Windows 7 Updates (12/28/13): 60.2GB

Boot Time: Under 20 seconds

Worth every penny!

HI

So i heard a few tings about the MyDigitalSSD 128GB, some ppl having problems with them.

Are they defective or do they not perform as they should?

I just ordered one yesterday and hope it works as it should.

I also installed a 256GB SSD instead of the original one. So far the boot time/ shut down time is under 10-15 sec and works really good.

Hi

Has anyone installed Windows 8.1 on the second M.2 sata port? How did you do it? My computer came with Windows 8.1 from the store. Anyway to get a clean Windows 8.1 image to install the second M.2 sata with? Or is the only option to clone the existing hdd to the M.2 sata port?

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Win 8.1 on a 128gb MyDigitalSSD using Acronis True Image 2014 to clone the drive over. It went really smooth without a problem and the system boots lightning fast. I followed these instructions for the y510p exactly and it worked the first time.

Directions (Lenovo Y510P (Win 8.1), using Acronis):

1) Power down laptop. Open laptop case. Install new MyDigitalSSD in the NGFF M.2 slot.

2) Power-on Windows. Use Disk Management tool to format new MyDigitalSSD in "GPT format"

3) Download & install Acronis True Image. Use it to create a bootable USB flash-drive. Remove USB flash-drive. Turn off computer.

4) Start system BIOS. Change boot schema from "UEFI" to "Legacy." Ensure that booting from USB is enabled. If you don't find the option for booting from USB in the menu, restart the computer, enter BIOS again, and look for the setting--there are some options that only reappear after you've restarted the BIOS! Once booting to USB is enabled, turn off the system.

5) Remove HHD from laptop, and attach it to the external adapter. DO NOT ATTACH HDD TO LAPTOP QUITE YET.

6) Attach bootable USB stick, and reboot the system. The Arconis OS/Rescue system should start.

7) Now attach the HHD via the USB to SATA Adapter

8) Run the Clone utility, choosing the HHD as the "source" drive and the new MyDigitalSSD as the "Target" drive.

9) After the clone procedure is complete, turn off computer and remove bootable USB flash drive as well as USB connecting the old HDD.

10) Restart the system. At this point, it should boot directly from the new MyDigitalSSD...and it should boot fairly quickly.

11) Once you confirm that the SSD is booting correctly, and WIN 8.1 is up and running, you can use Acronis to format the old HDD (The Win 8.1 Disk Management Tool wouldn't let me delete the UEFI/GPT partitions on the HDD) via the external connection. Then use Disk Management to reformat the drive (NFTS).

12) Turn off the computer. Re-install the HDD. Restart the system to make sure everything is running as intended (booting from SSD, HDD shows up).

13) Enter into BIOS and re-enable all of the UEFI settings (for security). Recheck the boot again. If all runs well, power down again.

14) Reassemble laptop

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to replace the mSATA with something bigger but keep the caching, I put together a small guide on how to get ExpressCache to work with another drive. You could, for example, partition 32GB of the SSD to run as a cache and put programs on the remaining space.

What is the advantage of using expresscache if you are running windows from an ssd?

What is the advantage of using expresscache if you are running windows from an ssd?

There isn't one. If you are already booting from a SSD then there is absolutely no point in caching your system with another SSD.

Ive replaced my HDD with a 512GB SSD but kept the 24GB M.2 in there. I put the windows swap file there to reduce the writes/wear on my big SSD :) Given that Ive got 16GB of ram it shouldnt be used much anyway but at least its doing something. If I just remove it it will collect dust in the closet.