MSi GT683 randomly shutting down and restarting

Raven

Hello All,

I'm having this weird problem for about 2 weeks now and seems that the problem is my Gpu (570m), sometimes when I launch a game it shutdowns and restarts automatically after 1-2 seconds. These auto shutdowns occur randomly sometimes it works for 3 hours without shutting down and sometimes i can barely log into windows.

Yesterday while looking at gpu-z for the 1 billionth time I noticed that my gpu voltage was @ 0.90Vwhile the core was 525MHz, while the gpu is at 0.90V it shutdowns after a few minutes, while it works flawlessly at 0.85V. I have never modded the bios and its kinda weird that it overvolt itself to 0.90V.

Today I tried to update to try to force 0.85V limit using svet tools but to no avail my gpu still goes to 0.90V, anyone that have a similar problem or some kind of workaround this issue?

Tools used: Svet Bios tuner, nvidia nspector.

Hello All,

I'm having this weird problem for about 2 weeks now and seems that the problem is my Gpu (570m), sometimes when I launch a game it shutdowns and restarts automatically after 1-2 seconds. These auto shutdowns occur randomly sometimes it works for 3 hours without shutting down and sometimes i can barely log into windows.

Yesterday while looking at gpu-z for the 1 billionth time I noticed that my gpu voltage was @ 0.90Vwhile the core was 525MHz, while the gpu is at 0.90V it shutdowns after a few minutes, while it works flawlessly at 0.85V. I have never modded the bios and its kinda weird that it overvolt itself to 0.90V.

Today I tried to update to try to force 0.85V limit using svet tools but to no avail my gpu still goes to 0.90V, anyone that have a similar problem or some kind of workaround this issue?

Tools used: Svet Bios tuner, nvidia nspector.

Well, your card should not go over 0.85 by itself, so my guess is a component on the card is broken. Did you buy the laptop new?

@ Prostar Computer Yes it happens on both battery and ac plugged in, less frequently on battery.

@ Suah, Sadly its 3 weeks out of warranty, I will have it checked by a local technician to confirm that the gpu is faulty and review what options i have atm.

That's weird that you are having shutdowns at .90v. I have the same type of system and haven't had any sort of issues at .90v, and I run my card at 700-715mhz when gaming.

The card will run on 0.90 without a problem but in this case the GPU overvolts itself which is a totally different story.

@ Inches As Suoah said, it shouldn't overvolt itself to 0.90v with the stock bios. Did some research (especially on this forum, awesome threads guys thx) and seems my best hassle free option is to install 770m bought from mokkin since it dosen't require any blind flashes or mainboard bios flashes.

Yeah, I was just saying that it was weird, but yeah stock bios should only do .85v. I will say this though, I just installed an MSI 770m in my system so I can say that they do work, or you can go the mokkin route.

Not a stupid question at all, its the only thing that i didn't try, the only ram test done was the windows 7 one, no idea how good that is tbh. The laptop is at the repair centre, I can only wait and see now.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that the problem was the gpu, installed an nvidia 770m and no more shutdowns, now if only i can stop that cpu throttling, for some reason throttlestop is not working,

Edit: managed to stop throttling, everyhting is working like a charm, ty all for the help!

• 1 month later...

got exactly the same issue... same machine - GT683DX + 570M

I dont think its the tepms.. mine 570M shuts down even at 55°C .. sometimes its fine even on 75°C

Are you sure it was the GPU ?

I dont see any screen artefacts, everything runs fine and suddenly boom, shutdown.

just asking before I order another GPU...

[Edit:]

Yes it was GPU. Shutdowns even on 55°C core temp.

It's the MOSFETs that are overheating. Strange, probably they are reaching end of their life.

• 3 months later...
Seems that the problem was the gpu, installed an nvidia 770m and no more shutdowns, now if only i can stop that cpu throttling, for some reason throttlestop is not working,

Edit: managed to stop throttling, everyhting is working like a charm, ty all for the help!

Hello, I have similar problem

I just recently had to upgrade my GT780DX GPU from 570m into 670m as the old one started to die out and caused random shutdowns. As I have found out, the 670m is basically the same card with the same specs, just with a bit higher stock clocks. And everything works fine, no shutdowns, but I see also major CPU throttling during any game or 3D application (I dont see any if I run just MSI kombustor GPU tests), but when I try to play GTA IV (which is really CPU demanding) its nearly unplayable, as every few seconds it starts to throttle like crazy... Which is strange, as the temps never cross over 77C and Ive noticed throttling even on lower temps...

Can you pls say and explain to me, how did you managed to deal with your CPU throttling ? Its definetely induced by the new GPU ?

thx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sitting here with GT780DXR which also does the random shutdowns, mostly under heavy load on the GPU. Had the GPU (GTX570m) swapped out with an almost new GTX670m. Still shutting down though.

Will go for the motherboard next. ;)

GTX570M and GTX670M are the same Cards, only the name and the clockspeed has been changed by Nvidia. The GTX670M get +23Mhz more.

When you will change the motherboard to a MS-1762, than you need another S-Bar (Hot Key Board with the Powerbutton) and the MS-1762C HDD1 adapter next the GPU. Than you must look, than you become a Motherboardrevision with eSATA, because some Revisions have a this point a Displayport. You can also use a MS-16F3 motherboard, but than you must look, that you get a Revision incl. Backlight Keyboard connector and the Connector for the both USB on the right side, because the MS-1761 use a MS-1761A HDD Board incl USB connector, i think this connector will not work with recent motherboards.

but i think, that is not problem of the motherboard. this is a problem by the old fermi GPU. You can use problemfree another GPU like the GTX770M from the Kepler Generation, but than you need another heatsink :) GPU and Heatsink cost around $300.