Laptop for Engineering Student.

jscurlock

Question

I am not much of a gamer but I need a laptop that will run programs like AutoDesk Inventor, SolidWorks Electrical 2014, Eagle, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. I was leaning toward the Lenovo y510p or Asus X750JB. I'm not worried about BIOS hacking, that can be easily done. I just wanted to see what other people had to say. My budget is $1000 or less. :bananalama:

for Catia... tha gaming GPU's will suck. Go for the Quadro/FirePro. You chose a bad forum to ask. Many here will chose high GPU options. You don't realy need it.

1. GPU's in a workstation are good for rendering (nowadays).

2. You better have 16/32 GB ram and SSD. IV'th gen i7 would be good.

I use 3DMAX/AutoCAD/Archicad/Photoshop/Rhino+Grashopper.

For design purpuse you will be better with an corporate machine. Not a gaming one.

#The gaming NB's are built as toys (no offence - but they target kids/people that ill play games on the move).

#The NB's like W series form Lenovo, Precision from Dell, HP variant.. (portable workstations) etc are built for production. It's a big diff between the 2 concepts.

i have in my office three guys that use/used gaming NB for design. One Alienware and two Asus. One Asus already sold and the guy bought sone Lenovo W530 (i think). The other Asus is on repairs (second time MB replacement after an year and a half prom purchase). And the Alienware dude is raising money for a Dell Precision m6800(he wants the k5100m).

If you are from us take a look into hp\dell outlets and look for dell precisions m4700 m4800 m6800 or hp elitebooks 8570w 8770w and zbook 15.

At first their prices will seem high but at least with dell via chat you can ask for a serious discounts and there are always some coupons flying around.

For 850$ i was able to get m4800 with i7, fhd, 8gb ddr3, m5100, 500gb sshd. Cool thing is it comes with 3 year nbd warranty. Meaning if something is wrong they come to your house to fix it :-)

I've got a Y500, and the thing works great. Nowadays, they have the Y50 instead, which is basically the same thing but updated with the GPU being 1-upped. With a single 750M, I'm able to play a heavily-modded Skyrim (though no ENBs) at Ultra (FXAA instead of MSAA, however), and get 55-60 FPS rather steadily, if that helps you figure what the power is.