Trying to figure out what the fastest CPU I can put in a Sony VGN-NR220E

killeraxemannic

I was given this laptop and I plan on upgrading it as much as I can.

Currently it has the Socket PGA478 T2330. I found online that someone had swapped a T8100 into it and it worked but I was hoping I could swap something faster into it like a T9600 or a T9800. Does anyone have any idea what would work in it or have an educated guess as to if it would work or not? It looks like the T9600 came out at the same time as the T2330 so I am hoping that one will work but it appears the T9800 came out a few months after. Should be the same socket though.

You should be fine with any cpu that fits. The t9900 is the fastest 35w part. There are also 44w parts that will work, with the e8435 being the fastests. If you can overclock the laptop try to get an e0 revision. If not go for the c0 revision.

You should be fine with any cpu that fits. The t9900 is the fastest 35w part. There are also 44w parts that will work, with the e8435 being the fastests. If you can overclock the laptop try to get an e0 revision. If not go for the c0 revision.

Looks like the T9900 is quite expensive on ebay. I may see if I can get a 9800 or 9600. Looks like those are going for about $100 less than the 9900. I was worried about the board in the laptop supporting the faster FSB speed of the 9xxx series.

Looks like the T9900 is quite expensive on ebay. I may see if I can get a 9800 or 9600. Looks like those are going for about $100 less than the 9900. I was worried about the board in the laptop supporting the faster FSB speed of the 9xxx series.

Yes the T9900 is expensive. That's why I got the E8435 for my older laptop. It doesn't support IDA like the T9900 for 3.2ghz on 1 core, but it still runs 3.06ghz both cores. It does have a higher default voltage than the T9900 which will make it use more power, but Core 2 Duo voltage is controllable via software so that you can reduce power draw to and even below T9900 levels.

If that's the specs of Your laptop:https://docs.sony.com/release/SPECS/vgnnr220es_mksp.pdf, then that mean, that it have GL960 chipset and can support only up to 800MHz FSB C2D. The best cpu will be T9500 2.6GHz (6MB), but it's rather expensive. Next in line T9300 2.5GHz (6MB) is much more affordable. And they're little bit slower processors, but still very capable and much cheaper like: T8300 2.4GHz, T8100 2.1GHz (3MB) or T6600 2.2GHz, T6500 2.1GHz (2MB).

The best way to be sure what northbridge You have is by running CPU-Z. It will show that under the tab "Mainboard".