Anyone running their M14x with memory @ 1866 Mhz?

Since you can choose the frequency in the BIOS for the memory, would the laptop be able to support these?

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 HyperX Plug n Play Laptop Memory Model KHX1866C11S3P1K2/4G

They are not XMP, but they are PnP @ 1866 already.

Would like some feedback :)

• Thumbs Up 1

No idea Titan. You may have to kick the voltage up to 1.6 or 1.7. The heat may be an issue as well. If you were to buy 1x4gb 1866 maybe. 2 might be pushing it.

If you can find a deal where they will allow you to return them you can try and let us know!

Best Wishes,

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

Commonly it is hard to use ram at higher speeds when your CPU don't support those speeds at all... I believe at least.. correct me if I am wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Titan - you know I was thinking.. If you can download or have a second computer handy. Get the m14x manuals out to be able to quickly disassemble the m14x to get to the bios battery (just in case). Try clocking the ram you have in the notebook now to the higher scores and increase the voltage. I think you have a better chance than most as you have the best (fastest) processor available. With the 2630 that I have I don't think I will be able to get that high. I am probably pushing it now at 1600mhz.

The kingston's might be worth it in the long run due to less heat compared to the overclocked stock mem modules.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Still if this test is done the results can tell all of us a whole lot about the Chipset capabilities of the R3 versions of alienware laptops and the M18x R1...

Some folks are saying that even though the memory speeds don't impact gameplay with dedicated graphics at all they increase FPS with the integrated graphics card. I see some relevance here but I had no idea folks wanted to play games on integrated graphics.

• 3 weeks later...