GTX 660m intermittent DOWNCLOCKING

blowntaha

Specs:

Model: Lenovo Y580

CPU: 3610QM,

• TPL in Throttlestop changed from default @ 45W (Long) ==> 60W @ 56W ==> 65W

GPU: 660m

• Clocks: 1350 Core / 2800 Memory
  • Voltage: 1.10 V ==> 1.175 V (done via bios mod by ErYani which is based on Svl7's 2.07 unlocked bios)

RAM: 8 GB

AC Adapter: Changed stock @ 120W ==> 150W (using an ASUS brick, connector is the same size)

Display: 32" TV via HDMI

Absolute Maximum temps ALL TIME (from the time I flashed over-volted BIOS && OS/Win 7 re-install):

• My laptop is right next to the window with a laptop cooler, it's cold where I live and window is always open with direct cold air flow to my laptop, on hotter days, the upper limits of these temps occur
  • CPU: 76 - 80
  • GPU: 74 - 78

NVIDIA Driver version: 334.89 (latest)

Issue: When I'm playing "heavy" games such as Crysis 3 or skyrim, my frames drop from a constant 40-50ish to below 20. This is directly related to the CORE clock dropping to 405. As you can see, temps aren't that high. And I'm ASSUMING the driver hasn't crashed/recovered because usually when that happens, the clocks get set to defaults, which are 1000 Core and 2500 Memory (modified vbios, absolute stock defaults are 835 2250 i think). Another reason why I don't think it's a driver crash because in the past when this has happened to me in while playing Crysis 3, the game itself crashing giving me an error like DXGI device removed or something like that. My VRAM isn't overloaded and typically never goes above ~1600 of the 2048.

NOTE: This will happen even when my clocks are at defaults.

This downclocking occurs MOST NOTABLY when I play Skyrim. Using BOTH GPU-Z and Skyrim Performance Monitor, which displays VRAM, RAM, GPU usage, and CPU usage as an in-game overlay. I start it up, play for about 10 min, then it downclocks for about 15, then normal for 1 - 5 min, and so on. Maximum VRAM I have EVER seen on the skyrim perf mon and GPU-Z is never ever more than ~1500. In fact, this happens even when VRAM is below 1024. So, I've ruled that out.

This specific laptop also has a bloat (but required, AFAIK) application, Lenovo Energy Management, which is needed so that the power plan can be set to "Dynamic Graphics mode" which is the only mode that allows for full clocks to be used.

This problem happens with a fresh Win 7 OS install. I use DDU everytime I try a new driver to see if it fixes my issue. I've also tried using simple INF modifications which was adding the lines:

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0FD4% = Section102, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4

[strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0FD4 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M"

to the nv_dispi (cant remember the exact name, close enough) to "manually add support for my GPU" to the driver. I've also tried using LeeKM's modded driver but that always fails. So my conclusion is either something wrong with the nvidia drivers or the dx redists "drivers"

I wasn't sure if this is where I should be posting this but seemed most relavant. Please and ty for any and all help.

You could try the BIOS that I use. I modded the vBIOS of svl7's unlocked bios to 1,2GHz core and 2,8GHz memory clock. I also tweaked the voltage, it stays always at 1,1V, so that the 660m can handle the 1,2GHz stable all the time. The last tweak is that the clocks of the 660m won't throttle. so beware of the temperatures.

Try it out!

For me it solved the problem with throttling in Crysis 3.

But before flashing you should reset your overclock!

You can add your +150Mhz later after trying

Y580_v2.07_660m1,20GHz_steady Voltage_2,8GHzMem_nothrottling.zip

• Thumbs Up 4

You could try the BIOS that I use. I modded the vBIOS of svl7's unlocked bios to 1,2GHz core and 2,8GHz memory clock. I also tweaked the voltage, it stays always at 1,1V, so that the 660m can handle the 1,2GHz stable all the time. The last tweak is that the clocks of the 660m won't throttle. so beware of the temperatures.

Try it out!

For me it solved the problem with throttling in Crysis 3.

But before flashing you should reset your overclock!

You can add your +150Mhz later after trying

[ATTACH]11088[/ATTACH]

I'm definately flashing this ASAP, but when you say you adjusted the voltage to 1.1 V, was that a typo? Default is 1.1

Thanks!

I'm definately flashing this ASAP, but when you say you adjusted the voltage to 1.1 V, was that a typo? Default is 1.1

Thanks!

Yes, it's 1,1V.... I tweaked it to ''steady'' 1,1V, because before that it throttled the voltage down to 1,05 or something... that caused clock-instability

Yes, it's 1,1V.... I tweaked it to ''steady'' 1,1V, because before that it throttled the voltage down to 1,05 or something... that caused clock-instability

Ah, I understand now. I just flashed it and ran a quick Skyrim test run and it's not throttling! Also, it seems to be able to handle my 1350 core/2800 memory clocks well, but haven't stress tested it yet. Thanks a lot!!!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Going to give this a try. Recently been having issue with my y580 downclocking to 405mhz core when using throttlestop in games. Running core clock at 1200mhz and memory at 2700mhz. Core clock drops to 405mhz and memory remains constant. After a minute or so it will go back to 1200mhz core and just repeat. Interested to see if the voltage drop is a culprit. Either way will update after trying this out. Cheers for the work either way!

I have svl7 bios, and my card cant handle 1200mhz... ;/ Also it heat up to over 80 degree in ets2, and after that it throttle to 885mhz. So i need to try this bios, and i think that change thermal paste also be good idea.

• J95 locked this topic