Smallest, lightest, laptops available with an optical drive?

Zstrike

Question

Dinosaur here, hoping for some information on what small footprint lightweights are available without ditching the optical drive. I am forced to use optical media often enough on the go that an external one is out of the question. The only other requirement is that it must run full fledged Windows. For reference, I'm looking to move on from my Sony TT that has recently croaked.

7 answers to this question

13" Toshiba R830/R930 would be up there as the lightest @ 3.26lbs. Doesn't come in Haswell flavor unfortunately. For most powerful and rather low cost on ebay, consider a 12.5" HP 2570P @4.2lbs. It can host a i7-quad CPU, giving near double performance of dual-core i5/i7 machines. See my sig for more details.

Ouch, there's no newer 11-12" model out there somewhere? The Toshiba is half a pound heavier than the TT, in addition to its larger footprint. I could get used to extra weight, even at the cost of a thicker notebook, but the small footprint is what I like the most about my TT, as it's so easy to fit in small places. I imagine eyebrows are being raised right now, so allow me to explain my unique usage scenario. This is a device to carry around to trade shows, conventions, and so forth, and needs to be able to come out from time to time during the day to view the materials I'm given (which, sadly, frequently includes optical media). At home I use an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard with it. I've always been a 'one device' kinda guy. I've actually modified several jackets to have pockets large enough to fit my TT on the inside breast pocket, which helps me avoid carrying a briefcase around. I'm not a big guy, so adding an extra inch in each direction on the footprint would push that approach into being unfeasible, unfortunately (I had tested similar sizes to the R830 when buying my TT). I could get a new SSD to keep my TT going, but I'm leery of continuing to rely on a 5 year old machine, even if I have taken great care of it.

Edit: to be clear, the only performance requirement is 'not weaker than what I've got now.' :D