Miscellaneous Tutorials (from front page) discussion.

Brian

RBE bios Editor, set your over-clock using existing bios files and save the new ones. Flash them to your cards using the manual dos based flashing method that Brian posted under the ATI/AMD 5870m Vbios Flash Thread. Use that exact method except utilize the one or in case of crossfire two files you created. Note type in names exactly as named if you've named the bios files a different name. This method i think is best because it maintains your cards speed profiles under modes like 3D mode, Video mode, Desktop Mode, and low power/overheating mode. your card normally doesn't run at full speed until you launch something 3D. Hope this helps. There should be guides on RBE.

• Founder

You can use the method that mw86 mentioned or you can also use the guide posted on our front page for very quick results within Windows 7: Miscellaneous Tutorials | Tech|Inferno

I personally use a combination of both. When I'm benchmarking, I use a custom vbios with 1.15v so that I can push the GPU above 900 mhz using Rivatuner. When I'm not benchmarking, I use the default vbios and only use Rivatuner for overclocking when I come across a game like Metro 2033 that requires that extra bit of horsepower.

I need a little help. Followed the instructions in the guide for using RivaTuner, but for some reason I can't get the OC menu to come up I had this working back in the day when you needed furmark running to apply the settings, but then I had an SSD failure, and lost it and am just now getting to where I need RivaTuner working. Brian, got any suggestions?

• Founder

What OC menu is not coming up? The one in Rivatuner? Make sure you imported the rtp settings correctly and also set the EnableULPS 1 instances to 0 (there's about 5-6 of them in the registry). Rivatuner also has to be detected by RBE so that it can modify the rivatuner.cfg file to add the proper hardware ids.

Yea, the OC menu in Rivatuner isn't coming up. I might try uninstalling Rivatuner and starting over. Now is it just the dword values I'm changing? Or everything that comes up through the "EnableUlps" search? Could it be the differant drivers I'm using?

Yea, the OC menu in Rivatuner isn't coming up. I might try uninstalling Rivatuner and starting over. Now is it just the dword values I'm changing? Or everything that comes up through the "EnableUlps" search? Could it be the differant drivers I'm using?

I just OC'd my 5870's using Rivatuner a couple days ago, using the guide on this site. When changing the registry, I only updated the 5-6 EnableUlps dword values (did not edit the other entries found while searching for "EnableUlps"), and was up and running after completing all the steps.

FYI - I'm on the 11.2 drivers.

• Founder

Welcome to the forum TMI. Let me know if that config file helps DR650SE. Thread has been merged with the Misc Tutorials thread in the General Notebooks forum.

Thanks Brian. Glad to be a part of the forum (I've been reading the advice of many of your members on another site for quite a while, but was happy to sign up here at opinion-friendly Tech Inferno).

I've been more focused on OC'ing my CPU lately... when did the AMD GPU tool stop working? The last time I tried it, I was probably on driver 10.5'ish.

• Founder
Thanks Brian. Glad to be a part of the forum (I've been reading the advice of many of your members on another site for quite a while, but was happy to sign up here at opinion-friendly Tech Inferno).

I've been more focused on OC'ing my CPU lately... when did the AMD GPU tool stop working? The last time I tried it, I was probably on driver 10.5'ish.

Good to hear, if you need any help with CPU overclocking let us know. For me the AMD GPU tool never worked with the 5870M cards.

Thanks TMI and Brian, I realized what I did wrong. I missed one of the "EnableUlps" Thanks! +1

Good to hear! Create a benchmarking thread and post some numbers if you like. :)

Welcome to the forum TMI. Brian would you say just utilizing a modified VBIOS would work the same for a 900mhz core overclock? Or is that not stable without using Rivatuner?

• Founder

Mark,

Both work equally well IMO. When benchmarking, I prefer flashing the cards with a custom vbios that has 1.15v and then using Rivatuner to overclock. When I'm using it for 24/7 use and mild gaming, I keep the vbios at the default 1.05v and use only Rivatuner for overclocking as needed. BTW, I received your e-mail and I'll be posting the files in the next day or two. I've been swamped with work lately so I haven't had a chance yet.

Good to hear! Create a benchmarking thread and post some numbers if you like. :)

Will definately be doing that. I've been doing a lot of benchmarking the last few days, just can't seem to get my GPU clocks anywhere near StamatisX 960MHz on the core. Although I'm doing it without any cooling at all which may be part of it. Been benching a lot to reclaim some of my gold cups on HWBot.org. Also trying to beat Mazdas 19754 in Vantage, closest I've come was 19751, which is frustratingly close! Lol, I'll beat it. Just gotta get the right combo, and I've narrowed it down quite a bit. Which is why I needed riva tuner, flashing for 1 or 2 MHz is more trouble than it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark,

Both work equally well IMO. When benchmarking, I prefer flashing the cards with a custom vbios that has 1.15v and then using Rivatuner to overclock. When I'm using it for 24/7 use and mild gaming, I keep the vbios at the default 1.05v and use only Rivatuner for overclocking as needed. BTW, I received your e-mail and I'll be posting the files in the next day or two. I've been swamped with work lately so I haven't had a chance yet.

Great to hear both methods are equally dependable. I think you should post we should post what seems to work for each of us. For a mild overclock i seem to like 1.1v @ 850core w/ stock 1000 memory. I may attempt to inch close to Stam's Golden Shower sample lol! One of us has to get these 5870 to 1Ghz core when i replace thermal pads etc. i may attempt it who knows 1ghz w/ 1.15v ... maybe.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I just tried flashing my GPU but for some reason windows 8 wont let me do it. I followed the steps on making a bootable disk and added the nvflash and the vbios rom but after i choose to boot from the USB, windows8 takes me to the boot manager window...but when i choose the option "Use a device : use a USB drive,network connection...." it just boots up like normal. is there something i am not doing correctly? My system is the one in my sig.

Quick question, why was the overclocking the crossfire 5870m using rivatuner bit removed? Used that guide some time back, but reformatted and now need to do it again, believe this was the place I got it from but can't seem to find it anywhere now. Does it no longer work or can anyone link me to it?

Thanks.

It's been a while since I used it, I think you might need to disable ulps to make it work properly with CF, but could be wrong, AMD did some changes in their drivers a while ago and this might not be true anymore.